Stayed from 8-10 March 2013. Hotel is a grand old survivor which is maintained to a very high standard and is a tranquil retreat from the bustle of Kolkata. From reception to check-out, the level of service was of the highest standard. Our room was large and excellently equipped with a comfortable mattress and large pillows. The public areas are well maintained and in keeping with the period ambience. The staff are some of the most courteous and efficient we have encountered anywhere and we travel a lot. Nothing was too much trouble. We tend not to eat in hotels but the standard of the kitchen at the Oberoi was very high and we sampled excellent Bengali dishes. The chef was so pleased with our comments that he invited us to share some of his secrets in the kitchen - a wonderful experience. The breakfast buffet was imaginative and included many local dishes as well as a choice of dishes cooked to order. This is one of the best hotels we have stayed in and we have travelled to over 100 countries. If I can find a criticism and it is difficult, it is that the hotel's bar is a little soulless. We will certainly return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Oberoi Grand, fondly referred as the 'Grande Dame of Chowringhee' offers the ultimate classical residence in the City of Joy. This heritage hotel’s neo-classical facade and grand pillared entrance mark a successful fusion of classical Victorian and traditional Indian style and reflect the city’s colonial history.Standing stately for over 125 years, The Oberoi Grand combines classic architecture and charm with state of the art amenities and facilities, offering guests an oasis of tranquility amidst the bustling city.The hotel features elegantly appointed rooms, equipped with all modern facilities blending uniquely with the colonial architecture.The hotel is located in the main business and shopping district of Kolkata (Park Street, BBD Bag, and Chowringhee) and is in walking distance from most corporate and government offices. It is also conveniently located close to major convention centers, legislative offices, banks, Consulates, Deputy High Commissions, Chambers of Commerce and clubs. This ideal location makes the hotel a perfect base for the business and the leisure traveler.The dining options at the hotel provide a great opportunity to savor cuisines from around the globe. Recreational facilities include an outdoor swimming pool, a fitness centre and a full service Oberoi Spa.The city centre location makes the hotel an ideal conference and meetings venue. The options vary from a spectacular ballroom for large conferences and smaller meeting rooms for business gatherings and seminars. A 24 hour business centre fully equipped with modern facilities includes a meeting room along with secretarial services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Oberoi Grand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Oberoi Grand Hotel Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Oberoi Grand Kolkata
- Oberoi Grand Hotel
- The Oberoi Grand India/Kolkata (Calcutta), Asia