The Oberoi Grand
Radisson Kolkata Ballygunge(Kolkata (Calcutta))
$102
$96
Radisson
Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
$102
$89
Agoda.com
Hyatt Regency Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
$91
Pride Plaza Hotel Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
$70
Ethnotel(Kolkata (Calcutta))
$53
$48
Travelocity
Vedic Village Spa Resort(Kolkata (Calcutta))
$76
$68
2,322 results
All reviewsthai restaurantan oasisla terrasseold world charmthe heart of the citybusy cityindian museumthe general managerpool sidein room diningvictoria memorialcoffee shopvisit kolkatahousekeeping stafffront officebaanmarket
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was treated like Royalty at this Grand Hotel. It is one of, if not the best Hotel I have stayed. Everything about the Oberoi Grand is outstanding..The Restaurant caters for every taste and the Tenderloin steak is tremendous. My mouth waters when I think of it. The room service is excellent and the western style breakfast in your room leaves me fully ready to start a working day.

Room Tip: I don't think any room would be bad in this establishment.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

My team and I are delighted to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and on behalf of our Executive Chef along with the entire Food & Beverage team, I thank you for your kind words of appreciation.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your return visit to Kolkata.

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

It is a first class hotel and the service is absolutely fantastic. The staff could not help enough, were friendly, their English was great. The grounds, the rooms, the pool and all the fining areas are beautiful. But the beds are quite hard. It was the only drawback.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

My team and I are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and that we could be of assistance to make your stay comfortable.

I have noted your feedback regarding the mattress in your room and I apologize that you found it hard. I will certainly have this checked. Our mattresses have otherwise received positive comments and have offered a good night’s sleep to all guests.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Our welcome was lovely, very comfortable room except for my pet hate - noisy aircon and no low setting on fan.

Breakfast was lovely and the chef was terrific in organising Lyn's cooking classes and my "Indian omelette". Very attentive service and excellent choice.

Pool was lovely as were the panini's for lunch.

Was a bit annoyed that the waiter in the main bar told me in front of my guests that there was a dress code and he couldn't serve us - seems that polo shirts were not allowed - bit curious seeing it was modelled on a polo club...certainly no signs suggesting there was a dress code. Anyway he served us and the next morning the manager made a point of apologising.

The bar had a billard table and Lyn and I decided to have a drink and game one night. We were provided with 2 cues that had no tips...

And they didn't have Bombay Sapphire gin (Gordon's only...) and a very small range of single malts. We gave it a miss. Once again we got lots of apologies from the manager.

Same manager made some suggestions regarding dinner which proved very good. Had quite an interesting chat about where he had worked around the world with the Oberoi group.

Other brickbat was that wine by the glass had a limited choice and was about $25 for a 130cl glass of Pouilly Fuisse and to be frank I doubt it even was 130cl. Ridiculous anywhere.

The local Indian wine was actually OK.

Gym is very good with new Life fitness gear.

Lyn's walking tour of Kolkatta was terrific but was arranged independent of the hotel. Not a company, just an old academic who spoke about 6 languages.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to know that overall you had a comfortable stay. Thank you for your words of appreciation especially for the welcome, the cooking sessions by the Chef, the attentive service along with food at the Pool side and for our Gymnasium.

I am concerned to note your feedback regarding the manner in which the dress code at the Bar was explained. Please accept my sincere apology. We do have a dress code which is “smart casuals” including Polo shirts, full length trousers and closed shoes. As I understand this was due to the footwear of the accompanying guest. The same should have been advised to you discreetly. We will be more careful about this in future. I request you to treat this incident in isolation and not let in mar the overall impression of the hotel and its services.

I have noted your preference for the choice of Gin and Single Malts and will ensure that we have the same in stock on your next visit. I regret that it was not available on this particular visit. Regarding your feedback about the price of wine by glass we do have an extensive wine list and the prices are arrived at keeping in mind the cost of procuring international wines in India. Rest assured our prices are competitive and the pouring is a standard pour.

I thank you immensely for your valuable review and feedback as this help us further improve our services and achieve higher standards of excellence.

The team and I very much look forward to welcome you back to Kolkata and to The Oberoi Grand on your return visit to India.

Best wishes,

Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is, no doubt, the best in Kolkata with the main sights and actions practically just right at the door steps of the hotel. Once within the gated enclave of the hotel, there's a deep sense of calm and serenity and this place provides an escape from the craziness in the streets of Kolkata.

The check-in is swift and efficient although the staff should be reminded that passports should be returned to the guests after check in. When the formalities are completed, the staff will escort you to the guest room and the luggages will just miraculously appear in the room. The guest room is extremely clean, beautifully furnished in a Victorian style. Even the fresh fruits and drinks are replenished twice a day. To add to the personal touch, the staff will hand out Indian local tea bags as souvenirs.

The breakfast has a huge spread. I was keen to sample the local breakfast eg. the Dhosa and Uppendam and these were all available. The only downside is that the hotel is badly in need of a good coffee machine. They should not be heating the cafetiere on hot plates!

Our stay was extremely comfortable and pleasant and the hotel definitely provides a sanctuary for those in need of a break from the craziness in the Kolkata streets.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KahChin
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I am delighted to note that we could make your stay at the hotel comfortable. The Oberoi Grand, also known as the Grande Dame of Chowringhee is located in the heart of the city with several places of interest like Victoria Memorial, Eden Gardens, Howrah Bridge and Raj Bhawan located in close proximity.

We are pleased to know that you also enjoyed our dining facilities as well as the services provided by the team.

I apologize if there was a delay in returning your passport after check in as they are usually promptly returned after scanning them. I request you to treat this in isolation and not let it mar your overall impression of the hotel and its services.

The team and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your return visit to Kolkata.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I've stayed at other excellent high end hotels before, but there is something special here: each and every one of the staff wants to make SURE that you are having the best experience possible, without there being any "upsell push", you only get what you want and the price/value ratio is solid. Two good examples:
The wifi access: up to four devices < $20 (US)/day, with good speeds, minimal requirements for multiple logins etc..
The hotel transfer: very easy to find your connection (separate, and ahead of the other drivers -- not sure how they pull that off) and the driver had a cold water ready for me when I got in the car. After many hours on multiple planes and waiting in the immigration line at 3am, you can easily imagine how much I appreciated it.

The property itself is exquisite, and a nice respite from the crowded bustle of Kolkata.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank traveller_boston

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

We are pleased to read your kind words of appreciation for our team and the facilities provided by the hotel including high speed internet, car service and the relaxing atmosphere that the hotel provides. Such positive and encouraging feedback goes a long way in motivating us to achieve higher standards of excellence.