“Grand but not superb”
Review of The Oberoi Grand

The Oberoi Grand
Ranked #1 of 221 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Guwahati, India
“Grand but not superb”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

When we reached Grand on Christmas Eve stay in Kolkata,reception at the Main Lobby was lukewarm compared to Taj or ITC experirnce. On rooms ,though I booked 2 interconnecting rooms,I was allotted two separate rooms.As I protested,they put me in interconnected rooms.La Terrace is very nice but Breakfast time is always chaotic and you have to run for UR seats.Breakfast spread is also similar on everyday and have limited choices.In room dining is also poor,and food quality and variety are not up to the mark of OBEROI.Might be CHEFs were on Leave !!! Good thing is House-Keeping service which was very prompt and accurate. Though I complained to the IN-ROOM Dining about food quality,NO follow-up action taken.

One interesting thing, on the Christmas eve and Christmas day the in-house guests were requested to book their seats/tables in La Terrace or pool-side in Advance for launch or dinner buffet . I have not seen it any other property even on New Years Eve.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank bpchoudhury1
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am concerned to know that your experience was less than satisfactory. We have adequate number of inter connecting rooms. Given the holiday period we experienced a high demand from visiting families for these rooms. I note that we were able to accommodate your request later and apologise for the delay in accommodating this request immediately during arrival.

I have also noted your feedback about our breakfast venue where you experienced a rush of guests. During this period we had also made breakfast arrangement in the adjacent room Gharana to accommodate guests during peak breakfast hours. The breakfast spread consists of a variety of international and Indian dishes and they are changed on a daily basis by the chefs. Apart from the buffet and the egg counter in the restaurant waffles, pancakes, dosa and idli are prepared a la minute by the chefs.

I sincerely apologise regarding our In Room Dining team as they did not revert back to you when you shared feedback about the food quality.

Special menu’s and dining arrangements were made on the eve of Christmas and on Christmas day. The advance letter to guests was to share the above information so that guests could plan ahead and book tables should they wish at the venues of choice.

The team and I will ensure that you and your family have a memorable experience during your return visit to Kolkata and to The Oberoi Grand and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back.

George Kuruvilla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Florence, Italy
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Kolkata is my home town although it has been over 2 decades that I have lived there. The Oberoi Grand holds so many memories for me. My brother and my sister both got married at this very hotel and I remember lots of weekends at the Pink Elephant, the club at this hotel. This is a beautiful hotel reminiscent of the glory days of the Raj. The building itself is extraordinary and sits in a prime location. Once you enter this elegant hotel the chaos of the city is forgotten. We had a lovely room #462 with a pool view. We were warmly greeted by George Kuruvilla the GM and Amardeep Singh, the Front office manager, both of whom I cannot thank enough. They went out of their way to make our stay so special since I am a professional travel agent who was bringing my Italian husband home for the first time. The experience was so special, it felt more like a homecoming for the proverbial son-in-law than being guests of the hotel! Nothing I can say in words can compare with the hospitality and warmth we received at this hotel. Right from the doorman to the concierge the service was beyond description. Chef Jyoti Singh prepared us a very special traditional Bengali lunch consisting of Prawn malai curry, kosha mangsho, dahi macch, dal, rice, luchi, begun bhaja, chicken kebabs, posto kebabs, mishti doi, sandesh, rosogulla and ras malai- the English translation is nowhere near as exotic but you can check out the pics to see what they look like! It was a meal to die for!
The Oberoi signature couples massage at the spa was just bliss! Thank you so much George! Amardeep, you were never too far away, we are so grateful. And whatever would we have done without Alam the Oberoi rep at the airport who took care of all our airport formalities while we relaxed at the airport lounge!
In the course of my 30 yr travel agent career I have stayed in countless hotel, 5 star and otherwise, all over the world, so you can take my word for it when I say that the Oberoi group of hotels offer the best service, courtesy, hospitality and warmth any hotel can possibly offer. I hope everyone who reads this will take the opportunity to visit my city Kolkata and stay at this unbelievable hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata on your return visit. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.
My team and I are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to your return.
I will convey your positive comments to our culinary team especially to Chef Jyoti Singh who organized a traditional Bengali meal which you enjoyed. I am also very happy to know that you enjoyed The Oberoi Spa.
Thank You for the lovely pictures you have shared.
We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your return visit to Kolkata.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We would hereby like to propose the Kolkata Oberoi Grand as a Harvard Business School Case Study in Customer Service Best Practice.

We have stayed here for the best part of a week and feel that the customer service ethic here is second to none. There is a culture of service rarely seen in the modern world, and it should be documented to help businesses better understand how to serve the customer.
The Oberoi is a superb experience from ambience and comfort point of view anyway, and needs only a modest level of service to make for the perfect getaway and a welcome retreat from the mayhem of Kolkata. But our experience has been that it is the service that has made this week so incredibly memorable.

The attention to detail has been surprising, nothing forgotten and every whim catered for. The follow-up on requests and desires has been religious and most importantly the time taken to chat with and make us welcome - amid a very busy and demanding workload - has been quite remarkable.

On many an occasion, restaurant orders were given regular updates on progress, "sir your meal is a little late but will be here wihtin two-three minutes" was a regular example, and never actually prompted or solicited.

The information too, advice, tips and recommendations have been quite informative and have added tremedous value to our stay. The care put into even the smallest of elements - for instance the presentation of laundry pictured above. The consierge service in particular was excellent and no effort spared in ensuring superb experiences, and characteristically again always followed-up with progress reports. In particular the chef always made sure he came out to provide context and background to the traditional Bengali dishes served and the cocktail waitress going to special overnight efforts to prepare Martinis she thought would suit our tastes.

I really cannot say enough complimentary things about this experience. Anyone staying in Kolkata should certainly consider the extra expense of a stay with the Uber-Roi; but it is even worth adding Kolkata to a tour of the sub-continent purely to enjoy this quite splendid legacy of a by-gone age to revive such a culture.

Harvard - put it on the to-do list. Thank you to all who work at the Oberoi Grand.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mrgareth2003
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased to read about your experience.
Your appreciation has been a tremendous source of inspiration for all of us and I am sure your words of encouragement would definitely go a long way in inspiring and motivating the team to deliver Service Par Excellence to all our discerning guests.

Bodh Gaya, India
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The moment when the taxi drove into the lobby, I felt that I have reached a different world due to the contrast of the town and the hotel.

With the warm welcome from the friendly staffs have created a great impression towards the town of Kolkata.

Breakfast was really nice and clean,
Room may be a little old but there's an old english sense in it.

Because of Oberoi, It made my first trip to Kolkata worth another visit. Definitely coming back again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

We are pleased to know that the service that you received at the hotel would be the reason of return to the bustling City of Joy, Kolkata.

Visakhapatnam
Reviewed January 2, 2013

One of the Best kind of Hospitality i felt at Grand Oberoi out of my other Stays in India and abroad and which made me to stay 7 to 8 times in One year.. The Rooms were Huge, with Good Wood work.. At any point of time some or other following to take care of the needs.. The Staff interaction at La Terrace was awesome and make my morning very pleasant.
My family enjoyed all kind of gesture from Oberoi..

I can see Clear Natural smile from the Staff ONLY at Grand Oberoi.. This experienced several times..

Room Tip: Rooms towards Poll are quiet big one
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for reviewing us on Trip Advisor and for your positive comments.

I am delighted to know that the service provided by our team makes you keep coming back to us on all your visits to Kolkata and you see us as family away from your home.

We look forward to welcoming you on all your return visits.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Wow Grand Oberoi is really "GRAND"! you will have a hassle free check/in and the staff have excellent PR skills. They will take you through the hotel and will sent you to your door.
I loved my stay here:)

Room Tip: request for pool view its quite cool
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I am glad that you enjoyed the services of the hotel and also thank you especially for the appreciation of the welcome that you received on your arrival.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

One of the friendliest hotels and best service received during our entire trip to India. Our overwhelming memory of the hotel was its young polished staff who made us feel incredible welcome. The Grand operates a refreshing no tipping policy, and instead encourages feedback on the performance of its staff (although accepts an optional combined tip on check -out). The staff at the front desk provided expert advice on exploring Calcutta.

The hotel has an old world charm with modern comfort. Everything is spotlessly clean and the swimming pool area is a calming oasis away from hectic streets of Calcutta – bird song drowns out any noise from the surrounding roads and markets. Guest rooms and corridors are a little generic, but are very clean and comfortably furnished to a high quality. I have provided room tips below.

The hotel’s Thai restaurant and breakfast buffet is excellent, a breakfast trolley is even provided in the lobby for those checking-out in the small hours of the morning.

The hotel is possibly in the best location for a visit to Calcutta. All the main sights are either a short walk or a short taxi ride from the hotel – Park Street is approx. 10mins walk. I would recommend spending the extra and asking the hotel to pick you up and drop you at the airport, which is a long journey outside the city centre.

Room Tip: The best rooms are those facing into the central courtyard of the hotel (overlooking the swimming po...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I am glad that you enjoyed the services of the hotel and also thank you for your positive feedback regarding the location, ambience and facilities offered at the hotel that made your stay comfortable.