“Quiet Oasis away from the hustle bustle of an active street market”
Review of The Oberoi Grand

The Oberoi Grand
Ranked #1 of 219 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Singapore
“Quiet Oasis away from the hustle bustle of an active street market”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Arriving from the airport to the hotel proved stressful; given the way road conditions are in India. We passed a myriad of different sights along the way, which makes it an interesting ride.
Once arrived and into the gates of the Oberoi Grand, all senses changed. It was like stepping back into times and the hotel grounds somehow omitted a sense of calm and peacefulness.

All staff were way way too polite, with each and every staff member greeting you with smiles.

Hotel ground was nicely kept and everything was prim and proper. Although there is a bustling market street just right outside the hotel gate and with a busy road to add, it was surprisingly calm and quiet within the hotel.

The room was woody styled, and gave a antique feeling to it. The bed was standard sized with a choice of comfy pillows to select. I had a very very comfortable sleep. Also, there was a good choice of cable TV channels to select from.

I had a try at the spa. It was costly comparing against Indian price standards and conversion, however, it definitely worked wonders on me, putting me into a deep slumbering sleep.

Overall, this hotel has met my and possibly every traveler's needs of providing good service and accommodation after a hard day work of exploring the city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

My team and I are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. Your kind words of appreciation for the team go a long way in encouraging them.

Thank you again for your detailed feedback and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your return visit to Kolkata.

George Kuruvilla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed December 16, 2012

It is in sharp contrast with the ambience just outside the hotel.The compound is thoroughly cooled.Traditionalally attired staff greets one as and when passes by.Food go as it is with other hotels of repute.The market just outside the hotel is chaotic.US consulate is located ay walking distance .Excellent if you are on a business tour .

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

My team and I are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and we could be of assistance to you in following your schedule to take photographs of this picturesque city.

The location of The Oberoi Grand is iconic with most places of interest in the city being at a close proximity from the hotel.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your return visit to Kolkata.

Isle Of Islay
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I agree with the previous review that this wonderful hotel is slightly marred by staff being too attentive! I really don't want to be asked the same things or have to say 'good morning' to 10 different people before I get out for a walk. Too much feedback is a chore when you just want to relax. I also got the impression that my feedback about the poor poolside lunch wouldn't make that much difference anyway.
The service is slightly overdone...it's really not necessary.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am concerned to know that in their eagerness to ensure you were comfortable our team members came across as intrusive. I apologise regarding this matter.

Please rest assured all necessary training and corrective steps will be implemented to ensure that we always offer prompt and efficient service without being intrusive.

I also apologise for the inconvenience you experienced at the poolside during lunch. I assure you that we will do everything possible to rectify the reasons for the shortfall you experienced.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

A little like stepping back to colonial India. The Oberoi Grand offers a calm and elegant oasis on a very busy Kolkata main road. The staff were all delightful, polite and very helpful, nothing was to much trouble. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Your kind words of appreciation for the team, services and facilities of the go a long way in encouraging us to achieve higher standards of excellence.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This is a lovely, old hotel right in the heart of Kolkata, very close to all the sights, sounds and excitements of Park Street and Victoria Memorial. The hotel is also central and conveniently located next to many business and government establishments.

Once you enter the hotel from the very busy road outside you are generally amazed at the quiet and calm inside. None of the rooms that I have stayed in have spectacular views as they face another building or the inner courtyard.

Even though the rooms are woody and colonial, they are comfortable, well maintained and modern enough. Bathrooms too.

Service is generally quick and comes with a smile.

I have dined in the hotel a few times and the food is good. But if you're staying here and are feeling like a grand local meal, walk across to the Peerless Inn (a hundred meters away) to a authentic Bengali meal at the "Aheli". It is on the first floor and simply spectacular.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

My team and I are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and that we could be of assistance to make your stay comfortable. The Oberoi Grand is centrally located with famous shopping area New Market, sightseeing locations like the Victoria Memorial, Indian museum and monumental cricket stadium Eden Gardens, all being at a close distance from the hotel.

B.C.
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed at The Grand from 24/11/2012 to 1/12/2012. On this trip I also stayed at the Oberoi in Mumbai. These are two very different hotels physically. What isn't different is the outstanding level of service from every member of staff.

I think Calcutta is a wonderful city but it's intense and wearing. The Grand is truly an oasis and I would suggest gives exceptional value. This hotel would certainly be beyond my budget if it were in North America or Europe (for example).

Almost immediately I was made to feel like I belonged at The Grand. All staff are outstanding and usually know what guests need before the guests know themselves. No request is a problem. The hotel and the staff exude elegance, charm, and warmth.

I'd like to visit Calcutta again. If I manage it The Grand is where I'll be staying.

All staff members were courteous, thoughtful and helpful. I'd like to mention everyone who made my stay so pleasant but this list will have to suffice as I probably wouldn't be able to remember all the names, Aatreyi Dhar, Varun Sharma, Amitava Sarkar, Piyali, Neil, Ankita and Reetika.

An added and wonderful plus to my stay were the amazing performances by Carlton Kitto on guitar and Arunava Chatterjee on keyboard playing bebop jazz 3 nights a week in the Chowringhee Bar.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

My team and I are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and that we could be of assistance to make your stay comfortable. With pleasure I would convey your regards to all the team members mentioned by you and the rest and assure you that these words of appreciation would go a long way in encouraging them to achieve higher standards of excellence.

The Oberoi Grand is referred to as the “Grand Dame of Kolkata” and it depicts old world charm and Victorian culture and the hotel and offers a calm oasis from the chaos of a bustling city of modern day Kolkata.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We spent a night here on our honeymoon and were upgraded to a mini-suite. It was just beautiful and the staff were so welcoming. There was a cake and a bottle of wine in our room to celebrate our wedding. The little touches that we really welcomed were being escorted to the room and checked in there, the concierge checking us in to our next flight on line, and being given packed breakfasts to take with us. Sadly, we only had a very short time here, as we had to leave at 5am the next day.
Their email correspondence is also wonderful and teeh staff automatically check your onward flights for you - they even pointed out a discrepancy on our bookings (phew).
I have stayed here before and will always return - its just fantastic.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I am pleased to know that we could make the special occasion of your honeymoon memorable for both of you at The Oberoi Grand.