Arriving from the airport to the hotel proved stressful; given the way road conditions are in India. We passed a myriad of different sights along the way, which makes it an interesting ride.
Once arrived and into the gates of the Oberoi Grand, all senses changed. It was like stepping back into times and the hotel grounds somehow omitted a sense of calm and peacefulness.
All staff were way way too polite, with each and every staff member greeting you with smiles.
Hotel ground was nicely kept and everything was prim and proper. Although there is a bustling market street just right outside the hotel gate and with a busy road to add, it was surprisingly calm and quiet within the hotel.
The room was woody styled, and gave a antique feeling to it. The bed was standard sized with a choice of comfy pillows to select. I had a very very comfortable sleep. Also, there was a good choice of cable TV channels to select from.
I had a try at the spa. It was costly comparing against Indian price standards and conversion, however, it definitely worked wonders on me, putting me into a deep slumbering sleep.
Overall, this hotel has met my and possibly every traveler's needs of providing good service and accommodation after a hard day work of exploring the city.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Oberoi Grand, fondly referred as the 'Grande Dame of Chowringhee' offers the ultimate classical residence in the City of Joy. This heritage hotel’s neo-classical facade and grand pillared entrance mark a successful fusion of classical Victorian and traditional Indian style and reflect the city’s colonial history.Standing stately for over 125 years, The Oberoi Grand combines classic architecture and charm with state of the art amenities and facilities, offering guests an oasis of tranquility amidst the bustling city.The hotel features elegantly appointed rooms, equipped with all modern facilities blending uniquely with the colonial architecture.The hotel is located in the main business and shopping district of Kolkata (Park Street, BBD Bag, and Chowringhee) and is in walking distance from most corporate and government offices. It is also conveniently located close to major convention centers, legislative offices, banks, Consulates, Deputy High Commissions, Chambers of Commerce and clubs. This ideal location makes the hotel a perfect base for the business and the leisure traveler.The dining options at the hotel provide a great opportunity to savor cuisines from around the globe. Recreational facilities include an outdoor swimming pool, a fitness centre and a full service Oberoi Spa.The city centre location makes the hotel an ideal conference and meetings venue. The options vary from a spectacular ballroom for large conferences and smaller meeting rooms for business gatherings and seminars. A 24 hour business centre fully equipped with modern facilities includes a meeting room along with secretarial services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Oberoi Grand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Oberoi Grand Hotel Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Oberoi Grand Kolkata
- Oberoi Grand Hotel
- The Oberoi Grand India/Kolkata (Calcutta), Asia