My wife and I stayed at the hotel in November 2012. We were there on business and what a pleasure it was to know that after the hustle, bustle and chaos that is Kolkata, the santuary of the Oberoi awaited us each evening.
The food was fantastic, we eat at both restaurants, and the chef personally asked if we were satisfied on both occassions.
The rooms are a little dated but the beds luxurious with a choice of pillow filling! Chose the duck down pillows and enjoyed the best sleep for ages.
The pool is beautiful if a little cold early in the morning.
The hotel is showing some signs of distress in terms of painting upkeep, and yes it is a little dated in style. But it has character in buckets.
Now the best part - the staff are simply the best and most motivated I have ever experienced, and I travel alot. They always ask after you, want to know if there is anything more than can do, and always smile! They do it earnestly, always with eye contact and always with a genuine enthusiasm . I don't know who does the training at the Oberoi hotel chain but they should be recognised and rewarded.
I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Kolkata - nor should you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Oberoi Grand, fondly referred as the 'Grande Dame of Chowringhee' offers the ultimate classical residence in the City of Joy. This heritage hotel’s neo-classical facade and grand pillared entrance mark a successful fusion of classical Victorian and traditional Indian style and reflect the city’s colonial history.Standing stately for over 125 years, The Oberoi Grand combines classic architecture and charm with state of the art amenities and facilities, offering guests an oasis of tranquility amidst the bustling city.The hotel features elegantly appointed rooms, equipped with all modern facilities blending uniquely with the colonial architecture.The hotel is located in the main business and shopping district of Kolkata (Park Street, BBD Bag, and Chowringhee) and is in walking distance from most corporate and government offices. It is also conveniently located close to major convention centers, legislative offices, banks, Consulates, Deputy High Commissions, Chambers of Commerce and clubs. This ideal location makes the hotel a perfect base for the business and the leisure traveler.The dining options at the hotel provide a great opportunity to savor cuisines from around the globe. Recreational facilities include an outdoor swimming pool, a fitness centre and a full service Oberoi Spa.The city centre location makes the hotel an ideal conference and meetings venue. The options vary from a spectacular ballroom for large conferences and smaller meeting rooms for business gatherings and seminars. A 24 hour business centre fully equipped with modern facilities includes a meeting room along with secretarial services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Oberoi Grand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Oberoi Grand Hotel Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Oberoi Grand Hotel
- Oberoi Grand Kolkata
- The Oberoi Grand India/Kolkata (Calcutta), Asia