“Great service”
Review of ITC Sonar

ITC Sonar
Ranked #2 of 250 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Getting off a long distance flight with 3 connections there is nothing nicer than being greeted by friendly, efficient staff, walking into a room with lots of little luxuries, is what makes a trip great! If you are a female travelling alone, ask to stay on the Eve floor, just for woman travellers. I had a pick up arranged from the airport, all on time. All staff been very helpful in arranging excursions and transport.

Room Tip: ask for the eve floor if you are a woman on your own
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Atul B, General Manager at ITC Sonar, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. Your comments are truly rewarding and we are delighted to learn that you had a comfortable stay.

Your recommendation on our Eva Room category for single lady travelers is deeply appreciated. Conceived as a haven of relaxation and contemporary style, the Eva floor caters to the requirements and preferences of the Lady business traveler. With an emphasis on service quality we endeavor to offer each room on the Eva floor with the right atmosphere and surroundings to ensure that a warm welcome is matched with attention to detail.

Thank you once more for your wonderful comments; we look forward to welcoming you back in your future visits.

Warm regards,

ITC Sonar, Kolkata

Write a ReviewReviews (2,731)

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I really become upset when I see that any hotel is not bothered about their guests and give smiles which are fake. Same thing happened with me at ITC Sonar during my last stay.

I gave all my arrival details (Flight number and flight arrival time) to the hotel and requested for the airport pick up (paid ofcourse) but to my surprise when I reached the Kolkata airport there was no car for me and I was waiting there for atleast 20 minutes. When I called the hotel after waiting for 20 minutes, they said sorry and told that the car has gone and I must have missed the car (which is a complete lie)

Its the hotel duty to locate me at the airport. I am sure I did not miss the ITC car because I saw other hotel people standing at the exit with guest name cards and even if the hotel has send the car, they should have called when they could not locate me at the airport (my number was given to the hotel). Its not my duty to call the hotel and ask for the car (May be the hotel does not think that way)

As I said earlier that I hate fake smiles, I received the same the moment I reached the hotel reception saying they are sorry. I think the ITC people should be more professional and genuinely concerned about their guest. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Atul B, General Manager at ITC Sonar, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. We regret the experience reported. Your comments have been shared with concerned departments to be included in training sessions in order to avoid such anomalies and I am sure you will find us truly warm and welcoming in your future visits.

Hope you would give us another opportunity to serve you and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

awesome ambiance, awesome food and interiors. This is just a perfect treat in the city of joy. I like their special treatment to each and every guest. locality is good and easily accessible to the important places of city

Room Tip: take west facing rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor. ITC Sonar paying tribute to Bengal was conceptualized as a business resort.

We deeply value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Due to non availability of city hotels, my company booked me at ITC Sonar which I also did not oppose much, keeping in mind the ITC brand and I also wanted to experience ITC Sonar for the 1st time

The hotel is ok however the location is very tricky. You have to be extremely lucky to get a cab outside the hotel and when you ask for help to get a cab the reception people behavior is very cold and they try to up sale their travel company car to you

I also faced a problem at their 24 hours coffee shop where I had to wait for my food because someone in their team forgot to place my order and left for the day as his shift was over.

Not expected at all from a brand like ITC

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. We have noted your comments with great concern.

Let me assure you that all areas as mentioned in your reported experience have my immediate attention and the learning from it has been incorporated in training sessions so that such discrepancies do not occur.

We hope to welcome you back and impress you with our offerings in your next visit.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We have made many trips to Kolkata but this hotel out-shone the rest. Its slightly outside the main city but its £2 for the taxi ride in and its great to get away from the madness that is Kolkata. The Hotel is beautifully designed and the standards really high. The rooms are wonderful. The Wifi works which is unusual in India - although you have only 30 mins per day free.

I had two examples of exceptional service:-
We arrived very early one morning before our rooms were ready. We were given access to a room while we waited. We went down for breakfast, expecting to pay for our food. We explained we weren't entitled to breakfast and were told it was on the house as they wanted us to be comfortable.

I also had my phone stolen and asked for advice about reporting it. I was taken by hotel car to the right police station accompanied by a courteous, English-speaking security man, Amit. He translated for me and really eased the stress. I was not charged a penny for this.

While we were there there was a reception for the World Cup which was touring India, attended by Sachin Tendulkar. I would suggest this is an indication of how good a reputation the hotel has in Kolkata.

If you get the chance, stay here. You are in for a treat.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Boudicca1952

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor. The feedback shared is truly rewarding as it motivates us to further excel in our services.

We deeply value your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed at the ITC Sonar for the first time from 6 to 9 jan 2014, shifting our loyalties from our old favourite The Oberoi Grand. And to be honest we quite liked it .Barring a messy check in post midnight(our Delhi Kolkata flight was Just 14 hours late) the rest of the stay was pleasant. To make amends for escorting us to an already occupied room they actually upgraded us to a signature, luxurious ITC One room which was huge! That was a really sincere gesture...thanks ITC! Staff is cordial. Breakfast at the Eden Pavilion deserves a special mention for the personalised service(Chef Subhankar Roy's attention to detail) and their delectable fresh melon juice .Don't miss it. Did not have time to try their spa but visited the gym which is well equipped. The lily pond is a sight for sore eyes .With construction work going on all around the property it truly is an urban oasis!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are glad to note that you had a pleasant and comfortable stay at the hotel.

Being rooted to the soil, ITC Sonar pays tribute to the beauty and the golden era of Bengal.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hope you would visit us soon.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Till date, ITC hotels were listed very high on my priority list.ITC Sonar kolkatta however was an exception.Stayed there for just a single night,however the stay was not so good.Want really pissed me off was the staff.I had arrived in late and was looking for a quick check in.While the front desk was polite and arranged my luggage to be arranged and taken to my room,the room door refused to open up.Instead of helping me out, the hotel staff simply asked me to take my own luggage back to the front desk (u need to walk for 5 min before u reach there) leaving me with my room key.The front desk manager then himself accompained me and arranged to open the door with help of engineering folks.The hotel is need for major revamp.The rooms interiors looked worn out.

Room Tip: Try to choose the pool facing rooms.The lawn facing rooms look dull.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sangrammp

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor. We regret the experience reported and the inconvenience caused.

Your feedback has been shared with the concerned department and the learning from it would be included in training sessions so that such anomalies do not occur.

We request you to note that refurbishment of the hotel is carried out in a phased manner to keep the property contemporary.

We look forward to welcoming you back.