My husband and I stayed at the ITC Sonar for 3 nights in early June 2008 for a wedding. It was one of the most wonderful hotels we've ever stayed at and we loved (almost) every moment of our experience there.
+ Excellent design & attention to detail
+ Luxurious bed
+ Plush carpeting & furniture
+ Phenomenal bathroom layout and design! (with separate shower & soaking tub, and sliding doors)
+ Meticulously clean and seemingly new amenities
+ I got a chance to visit several of the VIP suites and they were absolutely spectacular
- Expected a nicer TV for a 5-star hotel
+ Every staff member was friendly and accommodating, from reception to the concierge to the staff holding the door to the waiters
+ I broke my eyelash curler and desperately needed a new one. (Yes, "needed"! I was a bridesmaid and was going to be photographed for 3 days. I didn't have time to find one myself because of all the events and duties.) I called the salon and they sent someone out to buy me a new one from a shop. This was an exceptional task considering that the bandh (transit strike) was in place.
+ I got a fever on my last night there. (Probably from all the exhaustion of an intense 3 week trip) My husband called and they immediately sent someone up to our room with medicine.
+ Their catering during the wedding was some of the best Indian food I've ever had!
+ The buffet had a great selection and was reasonably priced.
- The other restaurants were rather pricey, but it's not surprising for a 5-star hotel.
HOTEL & FACILITIES
+ Very well-designed hotel! Lots of open and airy spaces with a beautiful pond in the center.
+ I was too busy to take advantage of the spa, gym, and pool. But many of the other guests has wonderful things to say about their spa and facilities.
- Some of the covered pathways outdoors are leaky when it rains
- The elevators were tricky to operate and required inserting the key card several times
- The internet at the business center was free, but there were only about 3 or 4 computers available
- Printouts at the business center were very overpriced and the fact that printouts cost money was not clearly communicated (no signs)
Despite a few minute problems here and there, the overall experience at the ITC Sonar Kolkata was fabulous. We especially loved the well-designed room, the luxurious bathroom, and the exceptional service. Highly recommended!!!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Priceline, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your ITC Sonar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Itc Sonar Hotel Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Itc Hotel Kolkata
- ITC Sonar India/Kolkata (Calcutta), Asia