“Fabulous! Absolutely loved it.”
Review of ITC Sonar

ITC Sonar
Ranked #4 of 221 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
New York City, New York
“Fabulous! Absolutely loved it.”
Reviewed August 11, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the ITC Sonar for 3 nights in early June 2008 for a wedding. It was one of the most wonderful hotels we've ever stayed at and we loved (almost) every moment of our experience there.

FABULOUS ROOM
+ Excellent design & attention to detail
+ Luxurious bed
+ Plush carpeting & furniture
+ Phenomenal bathroom layout and design! (with separate shower & soaking tub, and sliding doors)
+ Meticulously clean and seemingly new amenities
+ I got a chance to visit several of the VIP suites and they were absolutely spectacular
- Expected a nicer TV for a 5-star hotel

EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE
+ Every staff member was friendly and accommodating, from reception to the concierge to the staff holding the door to the waiters
+ I broke my eyelash curler and desperately needed a new one. (Yes, "needed"! I was a bridesmaid and was going to be photographed for 3 days. I didn't have time to find one myself because of all the events and duties.) I called the salon and they sent someone out to buy me a new one from a shop. This was an exceptional task considering that the bandh (transit strike) was in place.
+ I got a fever on my last night there. (Probably from all the exhaustion of an intense 3 week trip) My husband called and they immediately sent someone up to our room with medicine.

FOOD
+ Their catering during the wedding was some of the best Indian food I've ever had!
+ The buffet had a great selection and was reasonably priced.
- The other restaurants were rather pricey, but it's not surprising for a 5-star hotel.

HOTEL & FACILITIES
+ Very well-designed hotel! Lots of open and airy spaces with a beautiful pond in the center.
+ I was too busy to take advantage of the spa, gym, and pool. But many of the other guests has wonderful things to say about their spa and facilities.
- Some of the covered pathways outdoors are leaky when it rains
- The elevators were tricky to operate and required inserting the key card several times
- The internet at the business center was free, but there were only about 3 or 4 computers available
- Printouts at the business center were very overpriced and the fact that printouts cost money was not clearly communicated (no signs)

Despite a few minute problems here and there, the overall experience at the ITC Sonar Kolkata was fabulous. We especially loved the well-designed room, the luxurious bathroom, and the exceptional service. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank sherek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Illinois, USA
Reviewed June 3, 2008

Stayed two nights at the Sonar, right during the middle of the Indian Premier League cricket matches. The hotel was full of excitement and cricket players, but the hotel managed everything superbly.

Room was excellent. Service was top notch. One of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed at.

Wish I'd had more time to explore the nearby jogging paths and walk through the grounds. There was more to see and do at the hotel than we had time for.

I would stay here again in a second.

• Liked — The service -- everyone was amazing friendly.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank TravelingG123
london uk
Reviewed April 13, 2008

I arrived here with my wife and young son for a 6 night stay. I have stayed at most of Kolkata's 5 star establishments as I am a frequent business visior but this visit was a holiday. The hotel is about 20 minutes drive from the City centre and it is quiet, luxurious and an oasis of calm. The guests are discerning and the staff, who outnumber guests by a considerable margin, are fantastic. The front office management is impeccable. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and there is an air of quiet and luxurious efficiency without the pomp and arrogance we see so often in similar establishments in Europe or America.

Architecturally, the building feels open and modern. Marble and stone grace almost every wall and surface and the main complex is surrounded by beautiful landscaped gardens.

Our room was delightful and a spare bed had already been set up for our child. The front office manager, Mr Sidney Banerji, is accessible and thoroughly professional. Flowers and chocolates were waiting for us when we checked in to the room.

Breakfast is a sumptuous and tempting buffet where individual tastes are accomodated and eager staff are on hand to serve a la carte if you want it. This is all part of the inclusive B&B service.

There are several restaurants serving speciality and complex Indian dishes as well as pan Asian (oriental) cuisine. The outdoor pool is almost olympic in size and is attached to a luxurious spa, treatment centre and fitness room.

Special lounges cater for Club guests and complimentary cocktails and canapes are served every evening.

We truly felt a home here. It would be hard to imagine a friendlier, more comfortable establishment in one of the busiest cities in the world. There is no better place from which to experience the charms and culture of delightful Kolkata.

• Stayed March 2008
2 Thank siobhancrusader
Ireland
Reviewed March 6, 2008

I stayed in the ITC sonar hotel for two weeks for a business trip to Kolkata. I was very impressed with the hotel. The staff are all extremely helpful, friendly and cannot do enough for you.

The room was fantastic, immaculate and spacious. Cleaned twice a day if you need this. Everything you could need is in the room. gorgeous bathroom, very comfy bed with gorgeous pillows!

Food - there are 5/6 restaurants in the hotel and we tried them all. Most of them are authentic bengali/indian food whic were quite spicy and filling so this didnt do much for me. We went to Pan Asian on two occasions and were very impressed with the food. very tasty. Breakfast buffet was good, the usual cereal, juices, fruit, breads etc.

The spa in the hotel is gorgeous,I got a 1 hour thai massage for only 45EUR, and was very happy with it. Didnt try out the pool but it looks lovely.

Internet access in the room is quite quick and 600Rupees for 24 hr access, which isnt bad.

• Liked — spacious room, the bed and the spa
  • Disliked — food a little pricey, but it is a 5 star hotel
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank europeangirl
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2007

Spent two nights here at either end of a short trip to Bhutan. It's only about 20 minutes drive from the airport which, when you see the traffic in Kolkata, you'll understand is important.
The hotel's One Rooms are enormous, more like junior suites, with every comfort you can imagine including a massage chair. Massive King bed, tastefully decorated in green and neutral tones. Bathroom outstanding with a seperate rain shower and Molton Brown toiletries.
Staff were polite yet friendly and very helpfull and there are an abundance of restuarants to choose from including two very traditional serving sumptuous Bengal fayre.
Perfect hotel for a business trip.

• Liked — Fantastic spa
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank MistyLaw2
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 24, 2007

This is without a doubt the worst hotel experience I have ever had. Mind you I had just stayed in the Oberoi Grand Hotel the weekend before, and that was one of the best experiences I have ever had.

Where to start. I arrived and was not directed to the reception desk. Normally this would not be an issue, except that the reception desk is hidden around a couple of corners. Either way, I expect a concierge to direct me to check-in and for someone to help me with my bags...it IS a 5-star hotel, right?

After checking in, I was directed to my room. At first glance the entire building seemed extremely cold, modern and depressing. Architecture affects the way people live and feel...it was just huge rectangular slabs of mutely colored marble. Some people like that -- I hate it.

Regardless of that (I could definitely deal with that), the room was horrendous. The bottles of water by my bed were already opened and half consumed. Yes, half-empty; I'm usually a glass is half-full kind of guy, but come on...

The bathroom was not clean. The sheets were stained. The temperature control in the room was broken; it took over an hour for someone to come to my room to check into it, and then even longer for them to come to my room with a portable radiator which was also broken.

The food was definitely below average, considering the cost. Poor selection and poor quality, especially relative to other 5-star hotels in Kolkata, such as the Oberoi or the Taj.

The location was pretty poor as well. I suppose if I were here on business it may be different, but for tourists, avoid the location. It's a 15-20 minute car ride to anything interesting.

There were more things that went wrong, but I have a headache just thinking about that hotel. Never again. Go to the Oberoi or the Taj. They're cheaper even...

• Liked — Checking out and going to a better hotel
  • Disliked — Everything? The service probably.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
7 Thank dhkjhgjaih
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed June 15, 2007

Peaceful hotel with excellent service. Appears a bit run down, but everything is working ok. Good, but expensive restaurants.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business