“Bad experience at the Kaya Kalp saloon”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of ITC Sonar

ITC Sonar
Ranked #5 of 218 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Bad experience at the Kaya Kalp saloon”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

I had a bad experience with Kaya Kalp with regards to poor time management, lack of guidance and to an extent the staff pushing the work on one another.
I had gone to Kaya Kalp just before my wedding for all the bridal stuff as my cousin highly recommended it. I stay in Mumbai and i just had two days in Kolkata which i spent in ITC (and not with my family thinking i am gonna get some good service) and was not a pleasant experience.
The first day the staff was just pushing work from one person to another and in that chaos i managed to get a few things done. Post that the schedule devised for the next day was crazy. I was supposed to finish the major part on the first day and the remaining on the second day. It did not happen as per my expectation. I could not do a facial and few other things due to complete lack of time. If i was not getting married in three days i would not have really felt offended about the whole issue but with the wedding right around the corner and scarcity of time i was absolutely left disgusted with my decision of going to ITC for my stuff.
I was apalled at the approach of the staff and management. I was so disappointed with the whole scenario that i just wanted to run out of that place. To top it the Spa Manager was just not available for help.
The only saving grace in the entire chaos was a memeber named Pamela. She tried doing as much as she could from her end.
To sum it up it was a badly manged experience with Kaya Kalp and i would definitely not want to visit the spa section ever again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Tkriti
ITCSONAR, Hotel Management at ITC Sonar, responded to this review, February 6, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on Trip Advisor. We
have noted your feedback on your experience at Kaya Kalp - The Spa with
great concern and request you to treat this as an isolated incident, and
not let it mar your overall impression of ITC Sonar. We truly value your
patronage and would request you to give us another opportunity to excel.

On behalf of the ITC Sonar family, we look forward to welcoming you back in
the near future.

Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

The biggest surprise I received on check in was when the lady there apologized that the hard mattress that I had requested was not carried out, but if I could give them 30 minutes, they would attend to it. I have made requests to other hotels before and the response was always that the option isnt available at this moment.

The entire staff, right from the front desk, to the person who carried my luggage to the room, to the restaurant staff was very friendly and helpful.

The restaurants, especially Peshawari, Dum Pukht and West View, though wonderful, are definitely a poor cousin when compared to other ITC Luxury properties in terms of the menu and buffet spreads.

The Lotus pools in the center are a great place to walk and soak in the ambience.

The only complain I have about the property is that it is not adequately sign posted. Searching for the gym there was a nightmare!

Room Tip: The ITC Club rooms are great!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
ITCSONAR, Hotel Management at ITC Sonar, responded to this review, February 5, 2013

Warm Greetings from ITC Sonar, Kolkata!

Thank you for the encouraging and appreciative feedback.

It’s always a pleasure to know that the services delivered by us were up to
your expectations. We have also noted your observation on the Food and
Beverage offering vis a vis our other ITC Hotels, Luxury Collection
properties and believe that it is feedback such as yours that provides us
insight and motivates us to strive towards higher levels of excellence and
ensure a positive and superior experience in the future.

On behalf of the ITC Sonar family, we look forward to welcoming you back to
our warmth and indigenous hospitality in the near future

Numaligarh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

ITC Sonar Bangla at Kolkata is a very nice hotel located in between Airport and Kolkata City (near new market). From just out side it does not look well as the artichecture it is very simple like some cubicles. But go inside it is different and its quality.

Rooms are big and modern with all modern amenities. The restaurant is a big one . But still in it will be almost full during rush hours.
Food have varieties.. I liked it. Spacious.

Room Tip: Take at top/ upper floor
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
ITCSONAR, Hotel Management at ITC Sonar, responded to this review, January 29, 2013

Thank you for the recognition. The story behind ITC Sonar is very
compelling – Bengal is the inspiration & ITC Sonar is ITC’s tribute to the
City of Joy. Water is the very being of Bengal. Its food, fish comes from
it. Love blossoms around the lakes. Even Goddesses are given fond farewells
in the waters. Inspired by this, ITC Sonar consists of several reshaped
water gardens that serve as the heart of the Hotel. ITC Sonar offers the
discerning traveler traditional Indian hospitality combined with globally
benchmarked services. “ Sleep like a baby” is one such, introduced at all
ITC Hotels to ensure that those staying with us can attend to their
business refreshed by sound sleep

We welcome you back to ITC Sonar to experience the warmth of luxury as ‘
Nobody gives you India like we do ‘

New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

My staff was quite brief but truly memorable from the fine Indian restaurant to the great service and care. I was treated royally by the General Manager and staff of this Hotel. One of the most wonderful features of this Hotel is the use of outdoor space; they have these lovely lily pad gardens which truly make one feel transported. A very nice Swimming Pool area as well. The rooms are quite comfortable, the hotel is very convenient to the airport as well as downtown sights. The staff aim to please especially the wonderful Head Concierge Urbish Dutta truly a very kind professional with extensive knowledge of Kolkata and environs.

Room Tip: The rooms are quite spacious with oversized bathrooms. Try to ask for a room overlooking the lovel...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Warm Greetings from ITC Sonar, Kolkata!

Thank you for the encouraging comment. Your feedback would indeed motivate
us in our endeavor to achieve greater levels of guest satisfaction. At ITC
Sonar, apart from serving some award winning cuisines, we also offer a
complete getaway to relax your senses at Kaya Kalp – The Spa. To enhance
your stay further we offer Welcom-e-Concierge Online Service, wherein your
preferences are noted in advance to personalize your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Kolkata & ITC Sonar

gurgaon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

This was my 6th or 7th visit to ITC Sonar. That suggests that I like this hotel and I will not deny that in the past I have found this hotel one of the best in Kolkata.

First, the positives: Green with a beautiful lotus garden at the heart of the hotel. In the great waterbody that runs through the property you will find, apart from beautiful lotus blooms and other flowers, a host of water birds on a quiet day. There is quiet and you can pause to enjoy your solitude. All this is a great plus in a city like Kolkata. The location is also right: bang on the expressway and well-connected to the airport. At the same time, the heart of the city and its markets like gariahaat are just a 10 minutes drive away.

However, what unfortunately happens to all good stories has happened here as well. There has been a steady erosion of service quality. I can say that because I am a regular here and a Gold ITC Club member to boot. On 24th january when I checked in I was shivering with a very high fever. I was barely able to walk and I was expecting some care and comfort (as any business traveler would... in a familiar hotel). I had made 3 flights in a single day and wanted to feel as much at home as is possible in a good business hotel.

24th January seemed to be a wedding day. The parking was full and it took us a while to reach the hotel. Marveling at the wonderfully dressed people I got down from my car with no one there to help me with my luggage. In my feverish state I lugged the pieces of my heavy luggage (at the last leg of a 4 day trip) and willed myself through security check, pushing the door, etc (there was no one to help). At the lobby I waited for 10 minutes till was checked in. The man at the counter conveniently gave me the keys and even though I mentioned that I was not feeling good, all I was given was a gentle pointer towards the general direction of my room (no one to escort.. forget picking up the luggage).

By the time I was in my room I was almost throwing up and really sick. I asked for medication, warm water for gargling and help. after about half an hour somebody arrived with warm water (no medicine, not even a basic cold/ fever tablet... doctor was obviously beyond my wildest fantasies). I stayed, recovered, got some friends to come over with medicines and gradually got better.

But the experience remains etched in my mind. This is what a great place can become if someone loses the plot managing the resources. There is a dearth of tight discipline... people are talking to each other in bengali discussing guests (which I understand, but they do not know that!). I would still say that this is a great property. I just wish that the hotel's management understand that this is the service industry and if the service standard falls... all other things become redundant. I hope that they will see the light of my arguments and rectify their ways. Already we see the other big names either revamping their Kolkata operations or some of the new exciting brands opening/ on the verge of opening their hotels in Kolkata. Choices are increasing.... ITC must adapt or fall behind.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dipteshg
ITCSONAR, Hotel Management at ITC Sonar, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear valued reviewer,

Warm Greetings from ITC Sonar!

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on Trip Advisor. We
have noted your feedback on your experience during your last stay with
great concern. We sincerely regret your reported experience and would
request you to treat this as an isolated incident and assure you it is not
representative of the standards guests have come to expect of us. We truly
value your patronage, and would request you to give us an opportunity to
reinstate our credibility.

We truly value your patronage. On behalf of the ITC Sonar family, we look
forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Before I start I need to make it clear that I like this hotel and if I return to Kolkata any time soon it would be first on the list - however there are still things that could be improved to make the hotel better.

The first thing is the wifi. This is the 21st century, this is an expensive hotel, and Kolkata has a vibrant business community with a strong IT focus. Charging for wifi is just wrong in this day and age and feels like an easy way to extract money from customers - this is especially more annoying when I was staying in one of the premium ITC One rooms.

Consider having the menus for all the on site resturants in the rooms - might make guests more likely to visit.

I was waiting for quite a while to be offered tea/coffee during breakfast - it's a minor thing, but took some of the shine off the generally excellent service.

Other than the points above the ITC is a great hotel :-)

The ITC One rooms are a great size with a good view of the inner pond area. The rooms are very well equipped and included everything that a traveller needs, even power sockets from around the world - UK included!

The shower and bath were great too.

The gym is one of the better hotel gyms i have used with multiple runners that all worked and overlooked the pool.

The guest 'happy hour' is a very nice touch and makes for a pleasant environment including complimentary snacks at the end of the day.

I ate in the Grill and used room service extensively and was pleasantly suprised each time - the food is excellent, both Indian and 'western' style.

The ITC is surrounded by building sites, and does open out onto one of the main bypasses - but once you are through the entrance you are in a very relaxing bubble of tranquility compared to manic expansion going on in the rest if the city .

• Stayed January 2013
Dear valued reviewer,

Warm Greetings from ITC Sonar!

Thank you for the encouraging and appreciative feedback.

Thank you for sharing your recent experience and the encouraging feedback
with us on Trip Advisor. It’s always a pleasure to know that the services
delivered by us were up to your expectations. We have also noted your
recommendations and would certainly evaluate them for us to review our
product and service offering to our valuable customers. I am also pleased
to advise we have introduced a facility allowing our resident guests
complimentary internet access at the business center.

We regret your reported experience during breakfast and assure you it is
not representative of the standards guests have come to expect of us.

We truly value your patronage. On behalf of the ITC Sonar family, we look
forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

cochin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

This hotel was one of the most beautiful hotels i have ever stayed.The food was great,the services excellent,no need to improve on any services.To reach from the airport was a little long as heavy traffic and lot of construction going on.

Room Tip: Stayed in a normal room only so experience was good.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
ITCSONAR, Hotel Management at ITC Sonar, responded to this review, January 21, 2013

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your stay at ITC Sonar. We are
pleased to learn that you had a most enriching and distinctive experience
while staying at ITC Sonar and that the team looked after you. We at ITC
Sonar are committed to providing you world-class facilities backed by
courteous and efficient services. With regard to the construction work near
the hotel, this is a signal of progressive urban development. This is a
temporary phase and soon access around the area will be swifter and
smoother.

We truly value your patronage and shall endeavour to ensure a seamless
experience to you on each of your future visits.