“Bad Experience”
Review of The Park Kolkata

The Park Kolkata
Ranked #15 of 219 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
“Bad Experience”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Check in takes long time, no system to follow queue & respect for waiting customer. On check in, given smoking room by saying it is non smoking room. It was painful to go to room and come back for changing room. Give another room. Check out same issues, no respect for following queue, waited for 30 mins to check out. Reception check out completely wrong way. They check me out but gave me receipt of someone. Now I am working to settle the subject but overall I will say, good hotel location but bad management team there. I do hope they respect the value of time & not speaking lie for non smoking room as well as improve the training of reception staff. Overall not good experience.

Room Tip: Try to go to other places around Park Street. If you go to this hotel then ask for 4th floor rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank nhlivefreeordie
PramodeB, General Manager at The Park Kolkata, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay and feedback regarding your stay with The Park Kolkata.

We would like to apologise for the inconvenience you have faced during your stay. We have noted all your grievences and will be taking the same up with our team seriously.

We would request you to get in touch with us on em.cal@theparkhotels.com as I would like to personally make amends.

We hope you treat this in isolation and we assure you a comfortable stay on your next visit.

pbhandari@theparkhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hacienda Heights, California
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I chose this place for its great location in downtown Kolkata.I stayed there for 16 nights in January-February 2013. The room was well-kept and WiFi was excellent.
The hotel has an array of dining choices, bars and top rated nightclubs.My favorite place was the large open air patio outside the 24 hr restaurant. In evenings, the place is beautiful with waterfalls and light - an escape from the bustle outside.
I was very impressed with the attentiveness of the housekeeping staff and the restaurant servers.
The most endearing aspect of this place was the polite and courteous manners of the well-trained staff at front desk and the duty managers.Abhishek, Susovan, Urvasi, Devika, Divya,Basundhara, Kakashan and others with their help made my long stay really comfortable. I cannot write enough about Abhishek for his outstanding help to me on daily basis.The excellent service of the staff made my trip to Kolkata memorable and I will definitely stay there on my next trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and your kind feedback.

The entire team at Park Kolkata works together to ensure that each and every guest staying with us has a flawless and memorable experience. The feedback from you would work as a great boost for the whole team to strive and achieve higher standards of customer service and hospitality.

We look forward to welcoming you again to The Park Kolkata!

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The tired fish tank in the lobby gives a little bit of a hint about the hotel. Reception staff were polite and speedy. The rooms are furnished straight from the 60's. The decor is tired and mouldy in places but the room was comfortable and the bathroom was clean and tidy. Bed was comfortable and it was easy to get a good nights sleep. Staff were all very helpful, especially during the breakfast buffet which was a good spread.
The hotel has some excellent bars/nightlife although they all close up at midnight. Be aware of costs though and don't assume India is cheap.Three basic dishes in the Aqua bar were $78 and drinks (cocktails) for 2 were $120!
For a short business stay it is a good hotel but not sure i would want to use it for a leisure visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Pwillholme
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay at The Park Kolkata.

We would like to apologise for any shortcomings you may have faced during your stay with us,

We would like to thank you for the kind words about our staff and would be forwarding the same to them.

We look forward to welcoming you again to The Park Kolkata and assure you a comfortable stay!

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We were excited to stay at the Park Kolkata -- but what a disappointment! First, it took a long time to check in. We were told to wait in the lobby, but after around 30 minutes, we asked what was taking so long. We were told that we were being upgraded to a luxury room. However, when we were finally taken to the "luxury room," in a very dark wing that was made up to look like a chic nightclub, we were horrified. There were food crumbs and used candy wrappers all over the room. All pieces of furniture (including the curtains, bedspread and walls) were stained, chipped or filthy. There was a musty odor. Cabinet doors and drawers were broken. The bathroom was uninviting. We had never in our lives asked for a new room at a hotel. But we really couldn't see ourselves staying in this one for 3 nights. So we called the front desk and asked for a change. Housekeeping showed up, and agreed that the room was filthy. They offered to clean it up, but we insisted on another room. They then showed us 2 more rooms in the same wing. All were equally atrocious. Someone from the front desk came up to the 3rd room and acknowledged that the room was decrepit. He advised us to go see the city and that, when we returned, we would get a new room in another wing. We did get another room that evening, which was more acceptable, in a better-lit, non-nightclub-themed wing. However, the safe wasn't working. Housekeeping told us they would send someone right away. More than an hour later, we called again, since no one had come. A young man showed up and started working on the safe, while I watched TV. At one moment, I looked up, and the man had stopped working and was instead watching TV with me. I asked if he had finished, and he went back to work. Another man from Housekeeping then came to our room to yell at the safe-fixer (in front of me), asking why he had shown up to our room so late. It was all a bit uncomfortable/unprofessional. Regarding the bathroom, it was fine for the most part. But the shower drain didn't function properly, and water leaked out into the hallway. One day, we came back to our room to see that all our towels had been removed. We had to call the front desk twice (Housekeeping wouldn't pick up the phone) before we got them back. Finally, the staff at the hotel didn't seem to know Kolkata at all. When we asked how to get to Nehru road, they told us to take a taxi. Thankfully, we didn't listen to them, since Nehru Road was around a 30-second walk from the hotel. Another day, two other staffers (one of whom was allegedly from Kolkata) were unable to explain to us how to get to Howrah Bridge (we ended up using our own maps, since the hotel's map wasn't clear, and found it on our own). The only good thing about the hotel is its location. You can easily walk to attractions like the Victoria Memorial, nightlife, and the metro; plus, the hotel houses a cool bar called "Someplace Else". Other than that, this hotel has a long way to go before calling itself a 5-star luxury hotel.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank newyorker1976
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay and feedback regarding your stay with The Park Kolkata.

We would like to apologise for the inconvenience you have faced during your stay. We have noted all your grievences and will be taking the same up with our entire team seriously.

I would like to get in touch with you personally to make amends and would request you to assist us with your your email address/contact details by sending it to em.cal@theparkhotels.com

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 6, 2013

While I didn't stay at the hotel, I did visit the spa the morning of my wedding reception. After being able to use the gym, I was led to the women's locker room and took a nice steam, put my personal items into the clean locker and proceeded upstairs for my scrub and facial.

Being that it was the day of my reception and I didn't want irritated skin - just a glowing and clean - the milk and honey facial and the turmeric scrub were recommended. Both were EXCELLENT. The shower was in the treatment room. They provided ayurvedic body wash - which I am still savoring in NY to remind me of the excellent spa at The Park hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mitti B
PramodeB, General Manager at The Park Kolkata, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

It is indeed a pleasure to note that you had a memorable experience while at our spa "AURA".

I have taken the liberty of sharing your feedback with my colleagues at "AURA" and hence motivate them to excel further.

The entire team at The Park Kolkata looks forward to your visit.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2013

It was my first trip to Kolkata, the front desk staff at the Park Hotel has only enriched my Kolkata experience. Abhishek and Divya were at the front desk when I checked in, both were very courteous and professional and demonstrated exemplary knowledge of the city and tourist spots. Having managed customer service teams in the past from different cultures and backgrounds I can definitely say that both Abhishek and Divya were both were culturally aware and trained. My visit to Kolkata was part of my mission to visit a new city every time I fly to India, Abhishek and Divya caught on to that and educated me of all the popular tourist destinations I could visit. They even talked about the time I should visit these spots as I'm a keen Photographer and what sort of lighting environment would be ideal for these spots. Abhishek assigned one of his best Chauffeurs to take me around the city, and I must say that Osman was a fantastic chauffeur and knew the city routes like a GPS device. I would definitely recommend the Park Hotel purely for the customer service exhibited by its front desk staff, also the room and entertainment facilities were second to none.

Room Tip: Luxury rooms are perfect for Single tourists
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Suj2412
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and valuable feedback!

Nothing gives me more pleasure than to note that you had an excellent stay with us and were really happy with the facilities and services at the hotel.

Thank you for your kind words about Abhishek, Divya and Osman.

We look forward to your visit back to The Park Kolkata!

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I will give two thumbs up to Park Hotel, Kolkata. I stayed at Park for 8 days in December 2012 on a business/pleasure trip to India. Rooms were good and the hotel staff/service was phenomenal! I mostly dealt with Duty Manager, Abhishek Anand. His courteousness, professionalism and attention to detail was exceptional! I was very impressed to see that Park Hotel staff would frequently check on me to see I was comfortable. I had not seen such attentive staff at other 5 star hotels. I must add, their breakfast buffet was great and, again restaurant staff exceeded my expectations.

I will be a repeat customer for sure and, recommend Park Hotel to my friends.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Sherish2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay, valuable feedback and continued patronage!

It is indeed a pleasure to note that we have been able to meet your expectations during your recent visit with us.

It is also encouraging to know that our Food and Beverage options in the hotel have been of your taste and liking.

I have taken the liberty of sharing your positive feedback about Abhishek and the attentiveness of the staff across the hotel with my entire team.

We look forward to your visit and assure you that we shall maintain and exceed expectations.