“Old World”

Nahoum and Sons Confectionary
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Goodbye David Nahoum....may your soul rest in peace... when you meet your forebears please tell them that we enjoyed whatever they served up for us and we still continue to do so...... the plum and fruit cakes are divine....... the thickish fish fingers are also just the way they were..... the pastries & cheese sticks remind you of days gone by of saturday afternoons visits after school to pick up goodies....... hope the shop does not close down with the passing of Mr David Nahoum

1  Thank RRC_1976

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Famous Cake shop of British India at Kolkata !!!
Highly priced without any good reason on quality parameter.
Has a high brand recall of british period !!
People were standing like crazy ( I was the creziest !! ) beggar.
Only single alternative was available. No choice to manage the high demand.

1  Thank supu1234
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Nahoum had been the home of cakes and pastries from our childhood. We used to get our bday cakes from here. But I think they have lost a bit on their quality compared to before. Their marzipan sweets are still good. The brownies are still really nice. But I was not happy with the patties and the other savouries.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Being enthusiastically involved in home baking myself, I must admit that more often than not eating cakes in Kolkata is a huge disappointment for me. It is quite difficult to get proper cakes that have the right ingredients and texture to give me the experience I am looking for in a cake. Even the cakes in such reputed eateries like Flury's don't seem to carry the flavour and texture of the ones we eat here in Europe.
So during my recent visit to Kolkata I approached towards tasting a wedding cake with great trepidation. But oh boy, I was truely surprised. It was one of the best cakes I have tasted in Kolkata - a moist and succulent rich fruit cake capped with a layer of marzipan to give it that celebratory look. On further enquiry it emerged that the cake had been custom made by the New Market bakery - Nahoum, which is of course an "institution" of Kolkata.
One of these last Jewish owned businesses of Kolkata has certainly perfected the art of cake making and has been producing cakes to cherish for the New Market shoppers. May the tradition continue and may people in Kolkata get a chance to savour the taste of real cakes among the hoi polloi of Kathleens, Cookie Jars, Sugar and Spices, Flury's and the like.

1  Thank asarkar
Reviewed January 6, 2013

some things don't change and Nahom's is one such. retains the original taste of what a real pastry and patty should taste like.could be better priced though-steep is what I can say, a small butter,cake costs Rs.180!!