Sapphire Suites
Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
$117
$86
$91
Swissotel Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
$75
$67
Taj Bengal Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
$133
  • Pool
Radisson Kolkata Ballygunge(Kolkata (Calcutta))
$113
$107
Radisson
Hyatt Regency Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
$103
The Park Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
$130
$72
  • Breakfast included
The Oberoi Grand(Kolkata (Calcutta))
$161
$106
  • Pool
The Peerless Inn(Kolkata (Calcutta))
$69
$53
$109
$64
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsmarket arealindsay streetshoppers paradisedelicious cuisinenoisy areaelegant roomscentral locationexecutive suitethe heart of the citystandard roomsitting arearoom servicedecent sizefront office staffsudder streethouse keepingnice place to stay
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was being in Sapphire Suites last week, wow... good location, awesome amenities, good staff co-ordination, food including quality with taste. Rates was not much higher in respect of other fine hotels.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AnilBhardwaj
utkarshkolkata, General Manager at Sapphire Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Sapphire Suites..!!!

Thank you for your valued time to share your feedback about our hotel on trip advisior.

we look forward to having you with us again.

with regards,
Ravi Shanker Sharma
General Manager - Sapphire Suites

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at this in the summer after being a little hesitant that I could hardly find any reviews on TA. Overall, it was a great stay. I wrote a very detailed review and recommend you read it before you go.

What you NEED to know:

*Be aware this hotel is located in busy New Market.
It's a good thing if you want to be close to shopping and don't mind noise and people. If you are planning to spend a lot of time inside your room during noisy day time you may be better off at a quieter part of town. Our rooms were on the 3rd floor right across from clock tower and street noise and the chiming clock did not bother us. My family bought a lot of gifts from New Market and it saved us $$.

Compared to other hotels:

I compared it to Peerless hotel which is on the main road and not too far away. Peerlees's hotel rooms look older in the pictures although street in front looked cleaner. Also, I think SS is a better deal based on web site pictures. Also, Peerless hotel staff were dishonest and when I made a reservation they reserved a car to the air port for us which cost 3000INR. Taxi cab should not be more than 300INR. Bawa Wilson (only a few steps away on same street) had cheaper rates but was already booked. But, SS looks nicer inside from pictures.

* IMP: ASK IF EXTRA BED IS A FOLDED MATTRESS!
Extra bed in Kolkata may mean you will be provided with a FOLDED FLOOR MATTRESS. For us that was not acceptable and we asked for 2 rooms as we were promised a twin bed and found a floor mattress instead. No matter what hotel you pick be sure to check first esp. if it is a budget hotel.

Good central location for sightseeing although we were there for shopping.

Pros:
-I give them a 5 on service. Management and staff are very friendly and polite. Mr Rais Ahmed was very courteous and helped to make our stay very pleasant. Also, staff at breakfast were great esp. Mr. Pintu and Mr. Polash. These guys are v. hardworking and deserve a raise!!! :) We appreciated how they got us freshly made tea mutliple times as we are big tea drinkers. Mr. Subahis at front desk was also friendly.
-Breakfast buffet was great!!! Fantastic masala tea (hot water and tea bags are less than satisfying when I am in Asia)
and freshly made omlettes.
-Rooms were very clean and beds are comfortable
-Modern decor and LOOKED exactly like picture on web site. This was a concern for me as I could not find pics on TA.
-Flat screen TV and nice big bathroom were a plus
-Powerful shower head and HOT WATER- HUGE PLUS

Cons:
-PARK STREET is NOT within walking distance which sucked because we were there for the shopping.
-Internet was super SLOW and it was as good as not having any internet. We used the computers at reception to print boarding passes.
-There is NO gym yet.
-Neighborhood looked a little shady at night when we arrived at first. The street in front is a bit dirty but can be overlooked because once inside the hotel interior is clean and modern.
-On our last day there was BLARING music playing from a truck parked right in front of hotel door step. Unfortunately, I had decided to stay back as I had a headache and felt dehydrated due to heat. On other days it seemed okay when we walked over to take afternoon naps and it was refreshing to go to a nice modern and clean hotel room.
-My parents had to leave room key inside their room as the AC power would keep shutting down and room would be hot when we returned. Our room was okay though.
-Safe is complicated and management should bother to put up written instructions on how to use it
- We asked for reception about help with finding location of Ritu Kumar store and Hotel tried to promote their a clothing store owned by same owner somewhere near Goria Ghat. Reception called over someone who offered to take us there and he seemed a bit pushy and it was ANNOYING for us. They kept saying designer shops like Ritu Kumar were too far away. How can you live in Kolkata and manage a retail store without being aware of this? Later, I found out from my Indian cousin out there IS a Ritu Kumar store in nearby Park Street near Forum Mall while we were told it was an hr away in South City Mall.
TIP***** PLEASE DON"T BE DISHONEST and LIE to your hotel guests particularly if you want return customers. Huge turnoff.*****

Comfortable stay at this hotel but next time would probably prefer to stay closer to Park Street as I usually go to Kolkata for the shopping. Cab fares adds up and cab drivers are often rude. Hotel was a good mind find for a last min trip and would to it to tourists but not for business trips if you need internet!

Room Tip: Make sure extra bed does not mean a folded floor mattress!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank meye
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This is a decent place to say, nice and well maintained rooms. Best part, close to city centre. WIsh they improve on their complimentary breakfast.
I would recoomend a stay here, if one wants to be at the city center.

Room Tip: Room Towerds Road Side Recommended
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank DevVerma
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Its a good hotel.the receptionist,Ms Moumita and the other staff are very nice and friendly indeed.had a wonderful welcome.everything about the hotel is really good and totally upto the mark.the rooms,the hotel itself is perfectly clean,well maintained,the bathroom,the restaurant,and the reception.the bed was very clean,almost sparkling white and highly comfortable too.the only thing which i dint like much was the standard rooms are very small,compared to the tariff,though very comfortable,cozy and well furnished.the best part definitely is d location.it is close to new market,and if you are a shopaholic,you surely will love d location.many good restaurants nearby too.all in all me and my partner had a lovely experience staying over here,but wish the standard rooms were a bit more spacious.i rate this hotel 3.5*/5.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for two nights in March 2012 and we happy to recommend it as the room we stayed in was clean and staff very friendly an helpful. Other reviews are also very close to our experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple