“excellent food, good prices” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Durbari

Durbari
Ranked #37 of 4,150 Restaurants in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“excellent food, good prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

The restaurant is in the Swissotel and serves indian food. I had the lamb which was very good as was the Keralan prawn curry. My friend who is a vegetarian had the vegetable byriani and it was very flavoursome with the right amount of spice, I will certainly eat here again while I am in kolkata.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Walke1l

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“great food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

was great experience just loved the food there the ambience was also awesum! had a lovely time with family & friends

2 Thank binitasarkar
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Heavenly Indianness...Appetizing food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Since Swissotel opened in Kolkata my wife and I have been dying to be there and feel what it takes a hotel to become international and open its doors in so many places. And more so we wanted to visit the all Indian Cuisine fine-dining restaurant called Durbari. Finally we made it and yes,we enjoyed a lot.

We knew it would be a bit expensive as it is in a hotel which is supposed to be a 4-5 star and that too with an european concept. They have hotels almost in all famous places.

Everything was fantastic. Silence, calm, reception, help, support, staff, ambiance, etc. Swissotel is conveniently situated connected with the famous mall City Center 2 in Rajarhaat, New Town, Kolkata. So one can enter either from the hotel's main entrance or from the mall's floors.

Durbari is at the second floor of the hotel and the decor everywhere is amazing. We entered and we felt good. We wanted to dine like we always dine but to our surprise we got a good buffet type menu along with the main menu. Well I called it buffet-type because it was not actually a buffet as we know. This was a set menu consisting four course meal and would be served one after the other while you are seated comfortably at your seats. Just like the Europeans.

It was actually a bumper-offer for us as we would have spent more while trying things individually and it has everything from soups till deserts. and most of all we got to try many things which were individually available in the menu. We had the Tomato-ginger shorba and that was amazing. Simply effected from my taste buds to my stomach. And then the food. One after the other. Endless it seemed. One soup/shorba, 2 starters, 4 curries/sabjis, 2 types of breads, rice, deserts. Starters were unique and good. Ate something like them the first time ever. Among the sabjis I liked the palak-kumbh and dal durbari the most. Simply mind-blowing. Rice was also simply irresistible. In starters they had the gulab-jamun and paan ice cream. My wife does not have paan so she asked for vanilla which inspite of them not having they bought and served it. Gulab jamuns were also hot and simply delicious. I had the paan ice-cream and i must say I would have missed it big time if I would have only satisfied with the vanilla. It was simply out of the world. The first of its kind. It was their home made desert and it was fabulous. Over all we liked everything and we ate till we didn't have space left even for water in our stomach's.

What we liked most was the presentation. The presentation of the restaurant, food, cutlery, crockery, staff, and waiters, everything was simply wonderful. Would love to go there again and would highly recommend a must try.

• Visited November 2012