“Great Food”
Review of Royal Jade

Royal Jade
Ranked #503 of 4,338 Restaurants in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 4, 2012

After a long delay, despite getting many recommendations from friends ,took my own sweet time to visit this new Chinese Eatery called the Royal Jade.The ambience of Royal Jade is decent which is set on the second floor with the first floor being a take away or a waiting area.
Now lets get to the point, The Food. I was served by a young guy called Albert,who was very helpful in letting me choose the best items or rather the more authentic Chinese items from the menu.They also have a special menu, whrere they have specific items which are not there in the regular menu,so ask for it.
I started my meal (we were two) with some Fresh Lime Soda and Apple Soda and the Prawn Tempura (Batter Coated Prawns).The prawns were fresh, the batter was thin very thin and very crisp, it’s the thin and super crisp outer coating and the fairly big juicy prawns inside made the dish taste so good. Ask for their green chili sauce when having the Prawn Tempura. Next in the Main Course we ordered for a Jade Special Fried Rice and Five Spice Chicken. The fried rice had all the ingredients to make it oh so good. It really had that old Chinese flavor which we miss in so many restaurants now a days. As they don’t serve Pork here if the rice had some pork belly it would have been heaven. Next in line was the Five Spice Chicken. This dish was awesome. The meat quality or the over all quality of all the ingredients were of very good quality. The Chicken meat was soft and juicy in the inside with a crispy outer coating which remained crispy despite being the gravy till we finished our dinner.It was awesome and a must order if you visit this place.To finish off the great dinner we ordered the traditional Chinese sweet dish Darsaan. My wife absolutely loved the Darsaan, but I would say it was a bit too sweet for my taste and I would have like them to serve a bit more of the Vanilla Ice Cream with it. The cherries were a disappointment as they were not real!
Over all the food was great, the service was very good too. Now two things I would like them to look in to, The Aircondioner and the parking problem and a little more training to the waiters( Im not saying or meaning by any chance that they are impolite or bad) so that they can be compared to the very best. And YES I would be a REGULAR now!

Reviewed April 17, 2012

I was very happy with the food here. It was my first visit and I was wary as my family members were ordering things left-right-and-centre and I didn't quite like the items being ordered.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how tasty the food was! Even things I did not usually like ordering at home in Canada were very good.

The service was okay, we could have used a bit more frequent check-ins to see if we needed more water, but overall it was fine, unobtrusive.

The decor is okay. I guess in Kolkata it is quite unique and very elegant, but in Canada where we have a lot of exposure to Chinese cuisine, the place seemed very Chinese perhaps bordering on tacky. Still, I would not at all let it deter me from the delicious food.

You won't be disappointed.

2  Thank mellofellow
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We were a family of 12 celebrating my son's birthday dinner. This was our 5th visit to the restaurant. Food quality could be better. Service was okay. We used 2 sealed mineral water bottles but were charged for 4. This was pointed out to the person serving the bill. He said he'll rectify and charge. But this was not done. My credit card was charged for the wrong amount....... a small amount but left a very bad taste in the mouth.

1  Thank M_Khurana