“good deal if you've an early morning flight”
Review of Hotel Airways

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Hotel Airways
Ranked #154 of 330 Kolkata (Calcutta) B&B and Inns
Wymondham, United Kingdom
“good deal if you've an early morning flight”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The Hotel Airways delivers exactly what it promises: a room close to the airport with a free airport drop service - no more, no less. Having read previous reviews, I opted for the AC room because in India "AC" doesn't mean just "air conditioned"; rather, it's a synonym for "not squalid." My room was in the annexe, down a side street at the hotel's main building and then the first right. Judging solely on the basis of the appearance of the reception area in the main building, my impression is that the annexe offers a somewhat greater standard of accommodation whereas the main building is rather more dingy - so I'm glad to have opted for the AC room! The accommodation was on par with that of a budget motel in the West: the room was just large enough for one person to be comfortable, the bed was basic but sleepable, the carpet thin and threadbare. The sheets and the towel were clean and the room was hygienic, though I did note a few mysterious black hairs clining to the blanket. The car to the airport departed on time, although my 3.45am wake-up call came early at 3.21am and then again at 3.45am. Check-in and check-out were efficient and the staff went out of their way to be helpful, shuttling baggage up and then down the stairs and even finding me some rigid plastic containers in which to pack the sweets that I was bringing, so that they woudn't be crushed in my luggage. On the whole, it's what one might expect for the price, and well worth it for a single night's stay if one is flying early the next morning.

Room Tip: Spend the extra for nice "AC" room, even if you won't be needing the air conditioning.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Matthew B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The hotel looks shabby on the outside, and is certainly not within walking distance of the airport, even though in their ad they say it is 'opposite the domestic terminal'. On the plus side, the room was basic but acceptable, and the airconditioning worked fine. We did not have any trouble with road noise. Also their room and taxi charges come off a fixed list, which I found refreshing for India. Beware, though, you need to put down your father's name when checking in! :-) This place is ok for one night, I would certainly find it too depressing to stay longer than that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed in a group of nine people for 1 night coming from overseas. The accomodation wasn't too bad and some of us could sleep despite the noise from the road and the very basic equipment. Best to have your breakfast somewhere else.
However they charged us the rooms again (in cash), claiming that the money, tranferred via the bank, did not arrive. 2 members of our group had to stay in the adjacent guest house and the manager tried to charge them once again for their room without the group leader's knowledge....
Finally we got a refund of 50% 6 weeks later after continuous nagging. Since I travel to India on a fairly regular basis for many years, this was my worst experience so far.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Matthias A

Travelers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

Rome, Italy
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is an hotel, not a B&B!
It is close to the airport and, so far away from the town: 45 mins at least from the center by taxi, around 350 rupees. Airport is not in a walking distance, but they can organize a transfer cab for free. Room are small, but quite comfortable. Toilets are ok, nothing more.
On the roof of the main building there is a quite good restaurant. Wifi is available (sometime) for 50 rupees charge a day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lion26b
Hubli-Dharwad, India
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel thrice - solo, as well as, with my aged parents - and I have no qualms in saying that I would do so again.
The proximity to the airport, and the comlimentary drop thereto, is a grat help - especially for early morning flights, when no other mode of conveyance is easily available.
The staff is courteous, and are ever smiling and helpful. They had taken very good care of my aged father during our stay.
Everything about this hotel os very good - the location, the reception, the welcome drink, the tariff, the power backup, the warm water, and all that goes to make a hotel warm and friendly.
A special word of thanks to all the staff at this hotel, and I shall HIGHLY recommend it.
May this hotel become a 'STAR' rated hotel in the near future.

SANDIP GHOSH.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank sandip_ghosh
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Yes, it is worth the cost, especially if you have just one day stay at Kolkata before you catch your next flight. Staff tries their best to get you what they can. They have a restaurant which really helps coz hot meals can be ordered to your room. Food is good too, simple and nice. Airport drop and pick-up are obvious benefits. Pick-up is charged though at 200 bucks, which I find expensive considering how close it is to airport. Hmmm... so far so good. Brace yourself now for stuff you might not like or rather stuff I did not like.
For starters, the location, which incidentally is a benefit serves as a put-off coz the area really has men staring at you like girls are a rarity in that area. I had to force myself back to my room by 8:30 pm coz I did not have the guts to venture out alone in that area post that. Staff will help you walk to the taxi stand , if you request. Staff is definitely helpful like I mentioned before. The rooms have thin walls allowing you to hear the snores of the guy next door. I was dreading the flight take-off noise. Though, this place has none of that, there are other noises to compensate. They have a buzzer system in the room to get the attention of the staff, just that its loud enough to get attention of all the guests as well.
Though, I liked the attention the staff gives there, I was put-off by the fact that some of them give off the stench of alchohol when you call upon them at night. Hence, I would not recommend a solo visit for a girl at all.

Place is obviously crammed for single bed rooms.
But, considering I traveled with friends, the cost, the short 1 day stay I had at Kolkata w/o any prior hotel reservations having been made by me at New year's time, I'd say that stay at the hotel was an average and comfortable experience.The friendly staff and average facilities(incldg food at the room at late hours, hot water) made up for the inconveniences I referred to earlier.

Room Tip: All rooms appeared equally good.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nehathegr81
Calcutta, West Bengal, India
Reviewed September 20, 2012

yes,it is not 3 star or 4 star hotel.....but one day it might be turn into.....as they treat n behave eco friendly with guest providing yummy welcome drink, and free drop to airport its realy seems to be ausum .....so Friends u must visit once n exprience "HOTEL AIRWAYS".......;)

Room Tip: there are two buildings..one is main building and second anx building..in main building u should go...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family