“MS GITASHREE-EXECUTIVE”
Review of The Sonnet

The Sonnet
Ranked #12 of 235 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed January 11, 2013

i stayed in this hotel on 19.12.2012 and checked out on 20.12.2012.My stay in hotel was very good and icing on the cake was quality of food.I am writing thi review only to thank personally Ms. Gitashree for the help she extended in getting back my specs. left my specs on that day coz I was in a hurry to join a very important meeting. I was following up with hotel guys but none helped me.Incidentally I had a word with Ms Gitashree and on the very next day she manged to courier my specs to my place safely.

I have no words to thank her.

I wish her success in life.

Romesh Nagpal

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank nagpalromesh
GunjanKumar, Front Office Manager at The Sonnet, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Namashkar!

We would like to thank you for your feedback. It would certainly give us a moment to cherish and will motivate our team to keep doing their best.

I wish the way Gitasree had taken care of your request other team member would have taken the same interest and responsibility to solve the issue at the very beginning only.

But all said and done, I again apologize for the inconvenience that we have caused to you.

With the actions being taken and trainings imparted, we firmly believe and trust that we would be able to meet the expectations that you have entrusted us with, and promise and assure you of our best services at all times.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

great hotel,great staff.everything was as expected,rooms clean,airey and large in size.great bar for a pre or post meal drink.great buffet breakfast and evening meal choice.a la carte evening menu well worth giving a try.
only downside was that there was nothing around the hotel,other than a fantastic hotel across the road of which the name i cannot remember.
ideal hotel for business trips.

Room Tip: i had a room on the 3rd floor which had a bath,second stay i was on the 5th floor which only had a w...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
GunjanKumar, Front Office Manager at The Sonnet, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2012

Namashkar!

I wish my team would have explained you little more about the surroundings where a city centre mall (multiplex), just 2 minute walking distance (0.5 km) from the hotel would have been the ideal place for you to hangout & to do the shopping for your dear ones.

I'm sure we can take a note of your preference of the washroom(Cubical shower/Bathtub) type when you visit us next time to make your stay more comfortable one.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

The Pros of the Hotel were: - It was not too far from the Airport - The breakfast was complimentary - The hotel is 3 yrs old, 4 star, hence smells fresh and looks contemporary. - The staff are professional but at the same time very hospitable The Cons of the Hotel were: -- Since it's a fairly new hotel, it's less know around and getting a taxi to the hotel might be a task - I'm not sure they provide airport pick up... I didn't get one. - I had an issues with the showers hot water but for them the water was hot enough....LOL

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Hyginus F
GunjanKumar, Front Office Manager at The Sonnet, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Namashkar!

We would like to thank you for your feedback which definitely shows your true likings for the property. It’s your feedback only which gives us strength to convert our negative things into positive.

In regards to your feedback about the transfer, we do have travel desk and we do provide transfer facilities on chargeable basis. Wish we would have got your request for pick-up, would certainly have arranged the same as we did for your drop.

In reference to your feedback about the hot water, we sincerely apologies for our team member's response because we at The Sonnet don’t believe in this kind of culture. We take utmost care of the service issues/feedback.

Thanking you

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I had a wonderful stay at the Sonnet Hotel, we had a lovely spacious room, and everyone was so welcoming and friendly. I wanted to go sightseeing, and the hotel organised an excellent driver for me (Govinda) so that I was able to visit many beautiful places in Kolkata. By the time I left I felt I was more a friend than a guest.... I hope to go back soon!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 28, 2012

When I visited this hotel for only three hours day use stay without booking, the male manager at the reception showed the tariff as Rs6300 + 17%tax, same price as one night stay which I paid before.
After discussion, he discounted to Rs5800+Tax, though I requested Rs4000. Then I compromised it because I have to write and send some e-mails immediately.
My room was placed at the end of the top floor, and I noticed loud noise of rotating big fan of cooling tower on the roof was coming into the room. I asked a house keeping boy but he pretended as if he heard it for the first time, then he asked me 'Shall I call an engineer?'
I didn't want to waste my time for only three hours, so I didn't request checking the noise (obviously coming from the fan), nor changing the room.
At checking out at the reception, the other clerk calculated and requested me to pay only Rs5000 including tax! I think this must be the standard price of this hotel, and I guess the manager cheated me to earn more but forgot to inform it to the other clerk. And the noisy room was also introduced to me intentionally because I requested discount. (I don't know whether it is true, but everybody feels so.)
These were very uncomfortable experience.

Room Tip: Top (7th) floor should be avoided.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Nobita196
GunjanKumar, Front Office Manager at The Sonnet, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Namashkar !

At the onset, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the patronage of The Sonnet and express my earnest apologies. We understand the inconvenience that you had to face in during your short stay at our hotel. We are deeply concerned.

In regards to your feedback about the noise, I do agree with you as after investigating the same we found that due to some technical problem in the AC fan it was making noise which was immediately addressed and rectified after finding the root cause. We understand it wasn’t taken care while you were here with us and you had to face the same.

In regards to your feedback about the rate would like to tell you that you have misinterpreted, misunderstood the conversation at the time of check-in. Initially you were offered with the same rate as per your corporate rate which is Rs.6300+ Taxes but due to your short stay F. Desk in charge actually offered you some discount and told you Rs.5800 + Taxes but since you were looking for the rate somewhere around Rs.4000 which my F.O. in charge couldn’t offer it to you. He came to me and told me about your request. Being repeat guest and one of our regular corporate I made it Rs.5000 as we at The Sonnet always treat our valuable guests as “ATITHI DEVO BHAVA”.
I understand and agree that my F.O. in charge should have communicated efficiently and explained it you clearly to avoid any misinterpretation of being cheated by any of the team member.

Words cannot express how truly we feel for the inconvenience that was caused. This is especially saddening because The Sonnet Kolkata believes in the promise to serve with a deep rooted passion and making the experience of Guest happier and easier for everyone who chooses to stay with us.

We are committed to our valued guest, and we promise to live up to your confidence in us. We believe that The Sonnet would emerge as a true home away from home. We look forward to welcome you at The Sonnet very soon in the near future.

Thanking You
Sr Manager Front Office

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Was here for 6 days. Bedroom was large and well laid out but the bathroom a bit pokey and one person at a time. Water pressure average and hot water not that hot, Wifi connection very good but only one device connected. Rp 2k for 7 days. Dining room menu was good with some nice Indian wines (you've got to try it just to say you've had it!). Bar was small and very quiet each night. Only 200m walk to City Mall with lots of good shops. But Metro N-S line being build right outside and pillons are finished but not the tracks or the stations so check again when it is eventually finshed - probably 5 years the rate they are going!

Room Tip: Away from the front when the Metro is finished
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Namashkar!

I would like to thank you for writing to us which indicates your true liking for the property, as we firmly believe that it is corporate like you who with your honest comment makes us travel from strength to strength and also acts as a realization for us… as to the basic requirements of corporate. But all said and done, I apologize for the inconveniences which you have mentioned in your feedback and firmly believe and trust that we would be able to meet the expectations that you have entrusted us with, and promise and assure you of our best services at all times.

Thanks and Regards,

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Two or three visits to Kolkata become necessary every year for some business or other . My company used to book me into one of the three hotels with which they had tied up . All three were excellent hotels , but it took about one and half hours drive from airport .
Last time when I went to Kolkata I was taken to 'Sonnet' and I wondered why it was not tried earlier. The hotel is as cosy and comfortable as any other but had the added advantage of proximity to airport. This is no small advantage taking into account the milling crowd and difficult traffic of Kolkata. The August rains had created poodles of water and slush in many parts of the city but this hotel was surrounded by the spacious roads of Salt Lake.
But this need not create the impression that location is the only good thing about this hotel. In fact I didn't find anything which I disliked in Sonnet. Service was immaculate and food was decent. True , it does not have the class of a Taj or an ITC group hotel ; but the tariff is also accordingly moderated.
Room was clean and cosy enough providing excellent sleep quality.
There is one small thing which didn't quite bring a smile. The Bengali food could have been tastier , carrying real local flavour. Even the famed 'luchi' at breakfast was somewhat soggy , though delivered hot. Perhaps I would have picked up a few more points to crib about had I stayed longer; but with a day's stay in Sonnet I have carried good feelings about the hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer better view of the surrounding locations
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Namashkar!

Words cannot express how truly we feel for the inconvenience that was caused. This is especially saddening because we at The Sonnet Kolkata believes in the promise to serve with a deep rooted passion and making the experience of Guest happier and easier for everyone who chooses to stay with us.

Thanks and Regards