“Excellent facilities and service”
Review of Swissotel Kolkata

Swissotel Kolkata
Ranked #8 of 250 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed here only one night as it was close to the airport. It is an excellent hotel providing a short welcomed respite from the chaos of Kolkata and travelling. The room and facilites are fantastic, check in was efficient and service at breakfast, and food, excellent. Shame we didn't have time to use the pool which has amazing views and there is also a shopping centre adjacent to the hotel. The best 4* hotel we have stayed in, in any country.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
SvenBerlin, General Manager at Swissotel Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Dear Guest

Warm Greetings from Swissotel Kolkata.

Thank you for sharing your kind words about your experience at our Hotel. It gives us great satisfaction to know that your stay has been one of absolute pleasurable. From our end we consistently endeavor to provide you excellent quality, genuine hospitality, and intuitive reliability in each aspect and contribute to make your stay with us gratifying.

We assure you that on your next visit with us, you will find the accommodation even more comfortable and services, a more elaborate blend of the finest of hospitality in the two great cultures of Bengal and Swiss. We look forward to a long lasting rewarding relationship with you and to serving you again. Owning guest loyalty through their experience is of utmost importance to us.

Once again we would like to express our gratitude for the encouraging and glowing comments. The support we receive is highly appreciated and we look forward to your support always.

General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,731)

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I have never stayed at a Swissotel before (as far as I know) so this was my first venture into one in Kolkata. I chose this hotel simply because I was speaking at an event there in the morning. Check-in procedures were quite easy and friendly. For some reason, I was upgraded to a suite (I think because of my upcoming speech) and the front desk lady took me upstairs in typical Indian fashion to get settled into the room. The first thing she showed me was that in addition to the two room layout of a bedroom and sitting area, there was a full hot tub outside on the balcony. Big enough to accommodate 6 people easily if not 8. Given that I was by myself, this was sort of a waste. But it was also a nice surprise as you don't see that too often in hotels let alone in India.

But I can't give this hotel 4 stars and had to drop it down to 3 simply because of the mosquitos in my room. The hotel staff was nice and they came in with a zapper and tried to get rid of as many as they could. But this is a pet peeve of mine in India especially with all the disease that you can't comfortably stay in a hotel with mosquitos and risk getting bit up while inside your room. They have to do better with that.

Beyond that though the hotel was comfortable. The bed was a King which I like and had plenty of power and lights around it. The bathroom was huge, had a nice powerful shower, and plenty of room for luggage. I found the wifi to work well and there was a nice desk for working. Room service was efficient and came quickly and the Indian food I ordered was quite good. The conference space that I spoke in the next day was large and well taken care of. Check out from the hotel was painful. I don't know what it is about hotels in India but you can be in the middle of talking to the front desk people and then someone comes up and asks a question and they immediately divert their attention from you to that person which I think is incredibly rude on both parties part. So I give the front desk people a mark down on that. Overall though good hotel although I may look for other places to stay next time just to compare.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing the mall outside as it will be loud until late at night.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Swissotel_Kol, General Manager at Swissotel Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure having you stay in Swissôtel Kolkata and we would like to thank you for scheduling some time and post a review on Trip advisor.

This gives me an immense pleasure to read that you had a comfort in staying with that and us our location and proximity to airport and to your business travel was a way much easier. We indeed take up the appreciation from your review about our Swiss contemporary and modern designs about the property.

I along with my team members would wait to welcome you back for a longer duration of stay with us, which would help us to your memorable moments.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights. Without having any prior notion about this hotel, I must say that it was a very nice experience. Their roof top swimming pool is just awesome. Provided excellent variety at the buffet breakfast. Had an issue with their internet connection at room. Keep in mind that this hotel is close to the Airport and way far from the heart of the city which I liked. Staffs are nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Get a room at the top floors if you like to have a view from the room to the airport runways.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Swissotel_Kol, General Manager at Swissotel Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

This gives me an immense pleasure to read that you had a comfort in staying with that and us our location and proximity to airport and to your business travel was a way much easier. I would surely share this review with my team in order make them happy and feel the same way that you feel about us. This would on the other hand help my staffs be motivated also to achieve the same comments from the other guests who stay with us on a regular basis.
It also makes be a bit concerned that you did not have a very comfortable stay with us for the mosquitoes on the room. We are trying our best to have the issue resolved, with all the possible ways. I would request you not to take this as the overall rating for Swissôtel Kolkata and not choose us when you visit back to the city. We look forward to welcome you and share with you our services and make your memories unforgettable.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We decided to stay in this hotel for a night to celebrate our five years of marriage. We were happy to know that there was free Wifi, however we could not log onto the Internet with two devices. We called the front desk to see what we could do, they sent a representative and told him the situation and he told us "there is nothing he could,do about it. Being that that this a five star hotel with business accommodations, this shouldn't be hard. So we told the representative to call the hotel manager. We spoke to him and said he would call back in five minutes. It took over a half an hour to get fixed. There was no apology. Not impressed with the service at all.

Oh and we were mislead about free shuttle from airport. We booked through Priceline and listed the free shuttle, come to find out you must stay in an executive room to get that service.

We wanted to stay in a non smoking area and two doors own from us were smoking. Made me sick.

Hotel has nice appearance, breakfast is over priced.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank World-travel1984

Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure having you stay in Swissôtel Kolkata and we would like to thank you for taking out time and post a review on Trip advisor.

It makes me disappointed and concerned from your review that the service delivered to you by our staff did not fulfill your expectation. I would I would also take your points as a token of gift to improvise on our services and hospitality deliverance to our guests.

I would request you to view this as isolation and not let it mark your overall impression of the hotel and its services. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your return visit to Kolkata.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Its a good place to stay away from the main city and close to the airport. The food is great and the rooms are good. Its an ideal location for people wanting to catch an early flight. For people interested in doing a quick shopping there is a shopping mall just adjacent to the hotel with different branded stores.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the airport and the city are good.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and business.

Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. We want you to know that we truly enjoy sharing our passion for our destination with visitors and want you to walk out the door feeling refreshed.

We hope to welcome you again at Swissôtel Kolkata in the future and wish you the very best.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a business trip. During checking I was lucky to receive an upgrade to a suite, thanks again! The room was really nice, large and clean, with a classy livingroom, comfy bedroom and large bathoom.
I had a nice dinner with some colleagues at the Cafe Siwss that night. After that we enjoyed some drinks at the Splash lounge outside, where we were well served by the friendly and professional staff.
There is a mall adjacent to the hotel in case you like to experience Kolkata shopping.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank BackPackMaluku

Dear Guest,

I along with my team members would like to thank you for giving us a review on TripAdvisor from your regular schedules.

It gives us a great pleasure to hear that you had a comfortable stay in Swissôtel Kolkata and the service delivered by our team, room and the location had fulfilled your expectation.

I along with my team members wait to welcome you again in Swissôtel Kolkata on your next visit to the city.

Warm regards,

Swissôtel Kolkata.

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights whilst accompanying my husband on business - it is very geared up to the business traveller. However the staff could not have been more helpful to me as a tourist. Everyone made me feel at home with their courtesy and helpful manner. The room was first class and everywhere was very clean. The breakfasts were delicious with a good range of Indian and European food. The chef took time to show me all the dishes on offer. It was a delight to stay at the Swissotel and I would firmly recommend it. It is about half an hour's drive out of Kolkata but the hotel provide a taxi service.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and business.