“Efficient business hotel”
Review of Swissotel Kolkata

Swissotel Kolkata
Ranked #7 of 234 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Efficient business hotel about 15 mins from the airport in the new suburb. Takes about an hour to the present business district; the expectation is that the centre of gravity will shift closer during this decade. Decent sized five star rooms, wooden floor, fabulous linen. Solicitous and caring staff, but make sure you are not lumped with a smoking room, which seem to be the default option unless you protest. The bowl of apples at the reception is a nice touch, useful if one needs nourishment before rushing to a meeting. Windows overlook the mall, so no joy. The 'average' score for Value is because I suffered double rates during a particularly busy week.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Swissotel_Kol, General Manager at Swissotel Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

I along with my team members would like to thank you for giving us a review on TripAdvisor from your regular schedules.

It gives us a great pleasure to hear that you had a comfortable stay in Swissôtel Kolkata and the service delivered by our team, room and the location had fulfilled your expectation.

I along with my team members wait to welcome you again in Swissôtel Kolkata on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at Swissotel, Kolkata on a business trip in January 2013. The rooms are spacious and quite comfortable. People at the Hotel are very friendly and helpful. The Hotel is connected to City Centre (a shopping mall). In the evening, if you would like to lighten your pocket, good place to hangout :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Swissotel_Kol, General Manager at Swissotel Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have stayed here in the past (2010) and recently too- end of Dec12. based on these positive responses, I booked three roosm(20Jan13-22Jan13) through Expedia and due to My Father's demise (while I was in Siliguri on work that morning- 20Jan13) had to cancel the booking. Expedia informed me that Swissotel would not permit this unless I pay Rs.33,000 of the Rs. 66000 that I had paid as advance. I want them (Swissotel and Expedia) to know am disappointed though I know personal grief has no place in their "only business" attitude. I may never stay in this Hotel or possibly never use Expedia but want each potential patron to be alert.....

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

It gives us a great pleasure to hear back from you about the stay with us at Swissôtel Kolkata.

I share my condolences for your father’s demise. The review makes me a bit concerned that you have experienced due to the charges that was borne by you. I would like to share with you the fact that as the booking had the involvement of an external travel agency, we do not have any authority for the retention charges, but if the booking would have been on a direct basis then we do surely consider the emergency and the sentiments of our guest and wave off the charges.

I would request you not to take this as the overall rating for Swissôtel Kolkata and not choose us when you visit back to the city. We look forward to welcome you and share with you our services and make your memories unforgettable.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed two nights one week apart. What impacted me the most was the personal attention and service from EVERY staff member we came into contact with. From reception desk through to senior staff members who shared the elevator with us on one occasion - every one of them was personally interested and concerned about how stay and welfare. I was as if we were in their private home. On our first night we had a slight problem with the room and rang reception. They immediately offered another room. A very prompt and generous offer which we declined. But on the second stay - they had not forgotten. They upgraded us and staff who had not even dealt with us previously enquired about our stay as "I understand last time you had a problem." Extraordinary! The rooms and decor are superb. We will definately return. It was by far and away the best hotel experience I have ever had. Easily!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure having you stay in Swissôtel Kolkata and we would like to thank you for scheduling some time and post a review on TripAdvisor.

This gives me an immense pleasure to read that you had a comfort in staying with that and us our location and proximity to airport and to your business travel was a way much easier. We indeed take up the appreciation from your review about our Swiss contemporary and modern designs about the property.

I would surely share this review with my team in order make them happy and feel the same way that you feel about us. This would on the other hand help my staffs be motivated also to achieve the same comments from the other guests who stay with us on a regular basis.

I along with my team members would wait to welcome you back for a longer duration of stay with us, which would help us to your memorable moments.

Swissôtel Kolkata

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I used to traveled around the world, therefore compare with a normal 5 stars hotel, I wouldn't say it's great. But for India standard it's better than expected. Breakfast was really good. Staffs were friendly and helpful. and Most importantly, it's very close from the airport. If I have to go back to Kolkata, I may consider going back to Swissotel.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms have better view. But get the room closer to the elevator due to better wifi serv...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 24, 2013

this is a very good hotel, nothing is too much trouble. the rooms are clean and spacious and have a mosquito plug and an expresso machine. The breakfast buffet has one of the best selections i have seen and they will cook to order anything you ask for. i would recommend this hotel for business or travel and the fact it is attached to a small shopping mall is an added bonus.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

My experience at the hotel is Par-Excellence, cannot be described in words.
This is a great hotel. The service is excellent and it is like an oasis in a busy, noisy city. If you are transiting through Kolkata this is the closest hotel to the airport and if you use their pick-up and drop-off service you avoid the complexity of queueing for a taxi ticket at the airport. The hotel complex includes a shopping mall which is ideal for those quick presents you hope to find at an airport but never do. The shopping mall includes some cuisine options beyond those available within the hotel. The hotel is impeccable and clean and the rooms are very comfortable with good communication facilities.

Room Tip: You cannot ask for a better place to stay on your next business/pleasure trip, a really outstanding...

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for writing on TripAdvisor about your stay and the advantages that Swissôtel kolkata provides in term on location and traveling cost. This gives me an immense pleasure to read that you had a comfort in staying with that and us our location and proximity to airport and to your business travel was a way much easier.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your return visit to Kolkata.