“GREAT VALUE - EXCELLENT HOTEL !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Galaxy

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Hotel Galaxy
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“GREAT VALUE - EXCELLENT HOTEL !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

This place is a real OASIS in Sudder Street. The rooms are clean, and the owner and his staff are always very attentive to their guests. The rates are quite low, which makes from this hotel the best value for the category in the Sudder Street area. Warmly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rochester, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

The hospitality and cleanliness of this place as great! I felt right at home in this guesthouse. The owner was like a father to me during my stay and was so helpful. My room was bright and clean and relatively quiet for the busy streets of Kolkata. It is on a side street so was away from the main streets with lots of traffic. I had my own bathroom and shower, big bed, fan and lots of windows in my room. I felt very safe there. There was a locked gate at night with workers watching the entrance. Everyone was warm, welcoming and friendly.

Room Tip: The longer you stay, the cheaper it is!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

We had a big and more or less clean room except the bed sheets and towels. They might have been washed but they were not clean at all. Since this is a common situation in Indian hotels we did not expect that much and used our own sheets and towels. Bathroom was nice - compared to other Indian hotels - and the shower was very hot. I think the Galaxy is overated here at Tripadvisor but it's okay and we would stay there again. The location is within Kolkata is very comfortable. Nice and friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Valentina S
Mysuru (Mysore), India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Sorry,

But i have to say this hotel is very overrated by former reviewers.

My stay here was cut short by myself as my room was infested with bedbugs ! Upon informing the management a rather well used spray can was quickly furnished which means two things; one that this is a common problem and two they don't have the means to deal with it as off the shelf spray does not deal with bedbug infestations.

I informed the hotel that i obviously could no longer stay in the room as i already would be facing a bill to get all my belongings professionally cleaned which is very difficult to do in Calcutta.

They told me there were no more rooms and when i checked out at about 3pm they charged me for that night too !

Can you believe the cheek of it ?no apology or anything for infesting all my stuff but also charging for it ?!

I'd stay away, you can do better in Calcutta than this...

The room was very noisy and very damp too...

Upto you...

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank marcopolo701
Palestine, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

I came to Kolkata for 4 weeks with my 3 daughters to volunteer with MCs. We booked 2 rooms at the Galaxy 3 months in advance based on the excellent reviews. When we arrived there was only 1 room available, but it was large and it had a king sized bed and a twin bed, so all four of us stayed in the one room. After the first night, we decided to all stay in the one room for the entire four weeks. The room had A?C which I was thankful for. My daughters could have been happy without it, but at my age a good night sleep is worth paying for. The gates are looked at 11pm every night. In the morning we were often the first ones up and out. At first it was awkward to wake the sleeping manager in order to unlock the gates but after awhile it was comforting to know that there was someone sleeping just outside of our room - we felt very protected. It is true that the toilets don't flush easliy - just keep a bucket of water to pour in the bowl to sort of "force flush" - no big deal. It is also true that the rooms are not cleaned unless you ask for them to be. I liked the idea that nobody came into our room while we were gone. How hard is it to make your own bed? Whenever we asked for the room to be cleaned, it always was. We did not have hot water but the cool water was refreshing in the India summer heat. Do bring your own toilet paper, sheets/blankets and don't expect great pillows. Don't expect a western style hotel. It is more like camping indoors by western standards. We stayed a few nights in the private home of some Indian friends, their homes are very modest. If you come here expecting The Hilton you will go home disappointed and miss the experience you came here for. If you come here with a sence of adventure you will discover wonderful hospitable people who will love to show you their country. Harry, the owner, is one of those people. The first time that we needed a cab, Harry hailed one for us and negotiated a fair price. On our last day he treated us to ice cream and Indian sweets. We noticed that he was very helpful to all of his guests. The Galaxy is not luxurious - your in Kolkata for heavens sake - but it is clean, safe, and the management was very friendly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed here for a week and overall it was pretty average. The positives were a large room, reasonable price (900RS, per night which is pretty good for a big city), clean and central location and super hot showers. The negatives being the toilet didn't flush, the room (downstairs) was extremely damp, so damp that my pants became moldy within a week and the room was pretty run down e.g. Paint faling off wall etc. Would I stay here again? Yes if I was only staying one or two nights any longer I would look for somewhere else as the damp would be too much.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Orwellwasright
Queenstown
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I feel like I am the first to write an average review of the Galaxy! I should start by saying that I booked for a month and I stayed for the whole time without moving - however - it didn't start well with although booking 2 months in advance a single room with ensuite and a/c, it took 3 days to get the room I had reserved - no explanation/apology. The price quoted by email had increased by 25% on arrival. The room was good, the only problem being that it was not cleaned or the sheets not changed without me asking - I didn't ask, it didn't happen. I was so looking forward to the Galaxy, that perhaps I had built it up too much, or was maybe expecting more of a western style of hotel - I am sure other hotels in the area are perhaps no where near as good. Anyway, would I recommend? - probably, but may be worth keeping your options open. Would I stay again? - I would try some other hotels in the area first, keeping it as a backstop...sitting in a restaurant listening to tales of rats and bedbugs in other hotels keeps one wary!

Room Tip: Rm 12 has a noisy pump thing in the ceiling - avoid if you can
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo