“Very good for official/business visits”

Residency Guest House
Ranked #68 of 235 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

This place is really good and comfortable if you are travelling for business or official purpose. The staff here is very good, providing you a good service and are well mannered. Food quality food. I being a frequent visitor to Kolkata always prefer to stay here.

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed September 15, 2012

After staying a various places of differing quality and price in India I have come to realize that the Residency was an excellent stay. A/C, hot water, prompt yummy breakfast options, clean. That's more than you can expect from many other places.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I stayed at the Residency Guest house for 2 nights. I liked the location, tucked away off the Gol Park amidst a quiet little neighbourhood. The rooms are basic and clean with a fridge, AC, TV and good clean beds. The service is excellent with the boys running around to give into any reasonable demands. The bed-tea and breakfast service is very good. Don't miss the Puri with Aloo curry for breakfast. The sheets and pillows are spotless white & clean. The staff is courteous and the price is very reasonable for a metro like Kolkata. There is a nice bakery on the way to Gol Park and don't miss Ganguram's traditional sweet shop at Gol Park. The Restaurant next to the guest house is also recommended, though they do not serve liquor.
All in all a nice stay for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank anandiyer
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I have stayed here may be 5-7 times. What I like about this place is that provides decent clean room to stay. The service is prompt, helpful and smiling. The location is also nice - near golpark gariahat - but slightly away from the main road in a residential area.

You may not find the room or washroom - classy or plush - but for the price it is very good.

You get clean bedsheets, clean towels, a small soap, geyser in the washroom itself, a flat screen tv with decent number of channels, a cupboard, a working table - a wall clock (I always wonder why this important thing is always missing in hotel rooms)

They give you the breakfast in the room - there is no restaurant - Choice is limited. If you are keen on having a kingsize breakfast - forget this place. Even the food or beer is fetched from from the restaurants nearby and served in the room.

So if you are looking for just clean no -nonsense type, air conditioned, guest house accomodation - try this place - it is worth the money spent.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank sanjayicon
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I came to Kolkata for a long weekend with a friend working in Delhi and we were both very happy with this guesthouse. The room and bathroom was clean (and cleaned daily). The hot water doesn't last very long since it's a tiny little tank, but it was already hot in Kolkata when we visited so we didn't really need it. The mattress on the bed was harder than I like so it was a little hard on my lower back. Nice to get breakfast and a newspaper served to our room in the mornings. We really loved the neighbourhood where it was located with lots of little shops and restaurants. The staff and service was excellent, professional and very friendly. I'm not sure if this is the type of place I would stay if I were travelling alone, but since I was travelling with a friend, it worked for us. Probably also a great place to stay for business.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 11, 2012

A friend booked a room for me one week in advance and paid for one night. As he was in Kolkata at that time, he went to the residency guest house in person and booked it for me. Also i talked with the owner couple of times over phone regarding this booking.

When i arrived at night on 24th January, i was searching for the address that my friend had sent me, could not find it, then i called the owner again. According to his direction i went to the guest house and guess what! It was not residency guest house; it was a different guest house which is couple of blocks behind the residency guest house.

The room was terrible; it was so dirty, specially the toilet. I could not eat anything after seeing the deep yellow stains inside the commode. When i looked outside my window, i found all the garbage in there, could not even open the curtain it was so dirty outside.

I asked the owner why he did so, he said this is also our guest house and residency was full so we booked your room here. I told him that my friend paid one week in advance and it was not full then, you said there were rooms available. He didn’t have any answer to this. It was late night and I had nothing to do except staying there. Fortunately my friend paid for one night only, so I could check out next morning. I searched for few hotels and went to Akash Ganga Hotel near Park circus, which was far better and cheaper hotel than this.

Will never book with residency guest house again. And i request other travelers not to pay in advance to this fraud.

Room Tip: Never pay in advance, be aware of this fraud.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Arunthia21
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I stayed in this hotel as a friend of mine booked a room for me in January 2011. The manager greeted me warmly and quickly cleared the procedures to help me relax in my room after a tiresome journey from the airport. The room was as cozy and clean as advertized and most importantly for me the attached bathroom was very clean and fresh. The room had enough space but not very big either. What surprized me in the morning was the warm sunlight coming from the big glass window and noise free morning. I did enjoyed staying there two nights but in conclusion I would say this hotel is a bit expensive. If you consider a clean surrounding with noise free morning and evening than this hotel might be suitable for you. There are shopping malls around this place though they are not in walking distance and if you prefer shopping around new market than this hotel might not suit you as you have to travel a lot.

Room Tip: Choose an east facing room when traveling during winter to experience the warm glow of the morning s...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family