“very happy with our stay at the Residency” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residency Guest House

Residency Guest House
Ranked #53 of 216 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Toronto, Canada
“very happy with our stay at the Residency”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

I came to Kolkata for a long weekend with a friend working in Delhi and we were both very happy with this guesthouse. The room and bathroom was clean (and cleaned daily). The hot water doesn't last very long since it's a tiny little tank, but it was already hot in Kolkata when we visited so we didn't really need it. The mattress on the bed was harder than I like so it was a little hard on my lower back. Nice to get breakfast and a newspaper served to our room in the mornings. We really loved the neighbourhood where it was located with lots of little shops and restaurants. The staff and service was excellent, professional and very friendly. I'm not sure if this is the type of place I would stay if I were travelling alone, but since I was travelling with a friend, it worked for us. Probably also a great place to stay for business.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

A friend booked a room for me one week in advance and paid for one night. As he was in Kolkata at that time, he went to the residency guest house in person and booked it for me. Also i talked with the owner couple of times over phone regarding this booking.

When i arrived at night on 24th January, i was searching for the address that my friend had sent me, could not find it, then i called the owner again. According to his direction i went to the guest house and guess what! It was not residency guest house; it was a different guest house which is couple of blocks behind the residency guest house.

The room was terrible; it was so dirty, specially the toilet. I could not eat anything after seeing the deep yellow stains inside the commode. When i looked outside my window, i found all the garbage in there, could not even open the curtain it was so dirty outside.

I asked the owner why he did so, he said this is also our guest house and residency was full so we booked your room here. I told him that my friend paid one week in advance and it was not full then, you said there were rooms available. He didn’t have any answer to this. It was late night and I had nothing to do except staying there. Fortunately my friend paid for one night only, so I could check out next morning. I searched for few hotels and went to Akash Ganga Hotel near Park circus, which was far better and cheaper hotel than this.

Will never book with residency guest house again. And i request other travelers not to pay in advance to this fraud.

Room Tip: Never pay in advance, be aware of this fraud.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Arunthia21
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

I stayed in this hotel as a friend of mine booked a room for me in January 2011. The manager greeted me warmly and quickly cleared the procedures to help me relax in my room after a tiresome journey from the airport. The room was as cozy and clean as advertized and most importantly for me the attached bathroom was very clean and fresh. The room had enough space but not very big either. What surprized me in the morning was the warm sunlight coming from the big glass window and noise free morning. I did enjoyed staying there two nights but in conclusion I would say this hotel is a bit expensive. If you consider a clean surrounding with noise free morning and evening than this hotel might be suitable for you. There are shopping malls around this place though they are not in walking distance and if you prefer shopping around new market than this hotel might not suit you as you have to travel a lot.

Room Tip: Choose an east facing room when traveling during winter to experience the warm glow of the morning s...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kamal_Ahmed
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2011

Breakfast service to the room is great, as is the free internet, tv, and A/C. Decent western style bathrooms and hot water. Great staff - very helpful - and good room service too (I think it comes from the restaurant next door).

Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank jjj555
toronto, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2010

The Residency hotel is located in a residential area close Ballygunge, Rashberi and Gariahat. In the early mornings and evenings, expect to hear the crows and birds chirping away like mad.

You can find all kinds of tastey sweets and foods within easy walking distance. We stayed there because it was close to family. The room itself is very simple but it comes with a flat screen TV and fans. The people there were delightful and always ready to help - giving them tips (100 rupees only) also encourages "extra" assistance when needed. We felt safe and comfortable at this hotel. One other perk was that our room came with breakfast either Indian or Western. We also thought it was nice that they let guests use the internet for free.

The only downside to this sweet place was the very small bathroom and Lack of hot water. Toliet was right next to the open shower. There was a "geezer" in the room but hot water would only last for barely 5 minutes.

We willd efinitely be back!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank voyagerprof
Spanaway, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2009

A Kolkata based friend of mine set me up at this hotel. While the hotel is not opulant, it is very comfortable, clean, reasonably priced and staffed by friendly and helpful staff. I stayed there for about 4 nights and didn't have a single complaint. One of the real advantages of this hotel is that it is a bit off the beaten path, towards the South end of Kolkata. I found it to be quiet and still easily within a short (20 minute) taxi ride into the heart of Kolkata. I paid 1800 rs per night for a big double room with a clean bathroom (western style), hot water, room service and air conditioning. The staff was very responsive to anything I asked for (room service, laundry, internet access etc.) This hotel is better known amoung locals than foreign tourists.
There is a large park, plenty of shops ATM's pharmacies, etc within 5 minute walk from the hotel. No taxi mafia at the front door. All in all, a very decent place to stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business