Review Highlights
Kolkata a melting pot of flavours

I did a food trip in Delhi and now one in Kolkata. I cannot compare. Kolkata absolutely a total... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
carinamonk
Doha, Qatar
via mobile
A chef's tour

This was a great experience and a good way to start my visit to Kolkata Avik was very... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
margaret_bluman
London, United Kingdom
via mobile

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 21, 2018

I really enjoyed this tour. I've been a big fan of Indian food for as long as I can remember but my experience has been limited to North Indian cuisine. I got to try Bengali food for the first time on this tour and I enjoyed every minute of it. And not just any old Bengali food either. I enjoyed some of the best this city has to offer thanks to the knowledge of my local tour guide.

Avik is a proud Kolkatan who took me to heritage eatery after heritage eatery. It seemed like every stall or restaurant we visited had been serving the same iconic dish for generations. In fact, a few have been open for well over a hundred years! From the dark goat curry to the rich Bengali fish curry to the puchkas and vegetable fritters sold streetside, every dish I had on this tour was interesting and delicious. Avik told me that many of the places we visited are frequented only by locals and can't easily be found on the web.

As delicious as everything was, this tour isn't just about food either. One of my favorite parts was exploring the residential neighborhoods of Kolkata, places I never would have visited on my own as a tourist. We even hopped on a hand-pulled rickshaw at one point and rode through some very interesting neighborhoods. I saw a side of Kolkata that I never would have experienced on my own.

Avik is a passionate and knowledgeable tour guide who made the experience fun and engaging. It was like having a friend show you around his city for 4 hours and taking you to all his favorite food joints. If you're visiting Kolkata and want a deep local food experience, then I highly recommend this tour.

Date of experience: September 2018
AChefsTour, Owner at A Chef's Tour, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2018

Hi JB,

Thanks for joining Avik on his Kolkata food tour. We're so pleased to hear that you had a good time. It's been carefully designed to give guests an overview of the different cuisines of Bengal and visit areas that are away from touristy Park Street.

We look forward to seeing you on another one of our tours in the future!

Best,