“Excellent VFM hotel, ideally located for business trips in Central Kolkatta.”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Esplanade Chambers
Ranked #157 of 354 Kolkata (Calcutta) B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Going by other positive reviews in Tripadvisor, I booked it telephonically, as I was confident of my other Co reviewers in Tripadvisor. True to their words, the location is the best I.e. for budget travellers it is located in the heart of the city, well connected from roadways, trams and metro station (Chandni chowk metro).
Room rates are as Low as 800 non AC to 1000 for AC rooms for single occupancy. Service is class one, bell boy responds under a minute, intercom and TV provided. Bathroom Spick and span, with instant Geyser. Bedsheets clean, room insects and pest free. The hotel is on 2 ND floor with lift available 24 hours. 100% value for money at prime location. I couldn't have asked for anything more. 5 stars for it. Strongly recommended budget hotel for business trips.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was by far the cleanest budget hotel I have stayed at in India. The manager, Aftab, runs an efficient operation and nothing is too much trouble . The hotel is open 24 hours (my train was very late, the night watchman let me in at 2.30am-just rattle the doors). Breakfast is included and is provided in the room, served by the charming staff - who didn't hassle me for a tip (a pleasant change). The hot water was hot, the towels were fluffy and toilet paper was provided - a rarity in a budget hotel. This is my fifth trip to Calcutta, I usually stay in Sudder Street, but Sudder Street has deteriorated over the years. This is a much quieter, cleaner option!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We had a lovely time at this hotel, mainly because Aftab the manager was so so helpful. He is very friendly and made us feel very welcome, He went out of his way to help us by giving us directions, ideas on what to see and how to get there and where to buy necessities such as adapters and playing cards!! He even let us come back after check out time to have a shower before our train trip. Very kind of him! Nice clean rooms- just what you need after a day walking around Kolkata.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed in this hotel 7 days attending a seminar. The first impression upon arrival was not good. It's on a very busy street and doesn't look very nice. It's a pretty ordinary hotel but has character. The staff is very helpful and understanding. Mr. Aftab is amazing. He takes very good care of the guests and makes sure you are comfortable and have whatever you need. The staff was really helpful too.

The room was clean but basic. There is no restaurant but just downstairs is Gypsy restaurant, a great place to eat. The food is delicious and the cost very reasonable. If you don't want to eat there then the staff will go out to pick up food for you.

There was only one real problem with the hotel. Evidently it is on the city water line and several days the water wasn't available until after 7:30 or 8 a.m. This was a bit inconvenient when I had to be at my seminar at 9 a.m.

Overall I would stay there again. There are so few places where you can get such friendly, personal service. The staff did a great job and you could easily see that they were trying their best.

Room Tip: The best rooms are #32 and #23. 32 is a large, comfortable room and #23 while smaller has an amazing...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
naushina j, Manager at Hotel Esplanade Chambers, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Sir
thank you for staying with us ,we are happy that your overall experience was good.
We are constantly trying to meet our guests needs ,It would certainly be very helpful if you can take a precioous few minutes and jot down what more we can add /improve to make your stay even more comfortable .The Resturant on the ground floor also belongs to the same group of hotels/lodges.and dinneris available till11 pm.whereas light snacks and tea is available round the clock for the weary traveller from our small pantry.
WE are constantly increasing out storage water and hopefully this problem will be fixed within 10 days or so as we are nearly doubling our storage capacity for the comfort
of our guests.
Once again i apologise for any discomfort you faced and hope to make your next stay hasslefree.
regards- owner-esplanade Chambers.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Without the right staff, any hotel could be full of problems, but this place has a fantastic staff. Sabir in particular works very hard and always has a smile on his face, even when he greets arriving guests at 3am. Not only that, he has even offered to run errands for guests at very late hours. Aftab is great at making sure the guests get everything they need and even comes in on his own time to make sure guests are able to check in or check out without problems. And, the location is perfect because it is so close to a metro station that sits at the middle of the metro line, making trips to work/shopping/entertainment areas quite easy.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
naushina j, Owner at Hotel Esplanade Chambers, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

HeLLo sir
I thank you for the wonderful rewiev ,indeed a hotel is made a home with good service and friendly staff.we are lucky to have been able to put together a wonderful group of people
Here in Explanade Chambers We all are a big family indeed.
We hope we continue to have you as our esteemed guest whenever you visit Kolkata

best regards
Naushina
Owner

Reviewed July 15, 2012

In my life I never visited kolkata before, so that was my first time, I found out this hotel on net, I was really amazed to see the services, the staff was amazing and friendly, they were so supporting, I'm really thankful to Mr.Aftab , he made my two days there, I would really love to go there again, and yes I'm going this september, thatwas a home away from home experience for me, I was highly obliged from the services I got, I really can't explain, thanks from the core of my heart to aftab and all the staff.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent,u can choose anyone according to ur budget.
Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Compared to other budget options available in Kolkata, this is expensive for what is on offer (which isn't much). The website shows nice pictures, but I think this is just one or two rooms, because the room we stayed in was very basic, and not worth the price. There was lots of construction work going on at the time too. However, the guy at the front desk was really helpful and even came to meet us when we couldn't find the hotel. The entrance is quite hidden, so give them a call before you arrive.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple