“Good Hotel”

Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata
Ranked #19 of 224 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I check-in the hotel at evening without any hassle.This hotel is located near park street which is very good place to stay. The room was comfy and clean. Complimentary breakfast was good.I had a short but great time here.And overall services were adequate.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 4978Ashutosh
KenilworthKolkata, Management at Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata!

We thank you for staying with us during your trip to Kolkata and writing to us on this public forum.

Located in the heart of the city, our hotel indeed is the most sought after abode catering to the needs of leisure and business travelers. Chic rooms, bespoke hospitality and an efficient staff help us achieve our goals of offering the best to our guests. We are overjoyed that we could leave a positive impact on you with our efforts and services.

Once again thank you for your support and we look forward to welcome you again at Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to express my dissatisfaction and displeasure for the service and treatment provided by Make My Trip and its affiliate hotel. For my visit to Kolkata on 13th Aug’13 I planned to book trip via Make My Trip, as I am frequent traveler and most of the time use MMT service for my travel requirements.

I booked my air ticket and hotel Kenilworth through MMT on 10th Aug’13 vide booking number NP 2806327876981 for a business class double bed room and reached on evening of 13th Aug’13 as per my schedule to check into the hotel. On reaching I there to my surprise I was told that there is no communication that they have received from MMT. Though after showing them the booking information I had with me, I was provided the room.

The second part of the harassment started from here, when I complained about the quality of the room that I was provided under business class, I was told that this is the room category that I booked for. While checking out on 14th Aug’13, out of inquisitivity I went to the front desk and asked them to show me in their system under which category the room that I was allotted comes. When I checked the details I was shocked to see that they have provided me an executive class double bedroom, which is lower than the category I booked for. I have attached the scanned copy of the booking receipt from MMT and letter from hotel which states my room types.

I have informed about this incident to MMT on 14th August 2013 itself and expected a resolution on this, however my issue is still not resolved even after 7 days. I did receive a call yesterday and informed the person that I am in meeting therefore to call me in one hour, however never received one.

My point is not related to reimbursement of the differential amount or monetary issue. what I want to convey is the business ethics and the mannerism in which entire thing happened. Firstly there was no sharing of information by MMT with Kenilworth, secondly in case the class of room that I booked for was not available then rather than upgrading, as that’s what I have experienced with other hotels, my services were downgraded and that too without sharing this with me. Had I not been familiar with what business class is I would have been cheated by the hotel staff, though the feeling is still not much different.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
KenilworthKolkata, Management at Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent business trip to Kolkata and for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor.

We deeply regret the inconvenience faced by you regarding the booking of your Business Class accommodation at Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata via Make My Trip.com. We are already investigating this matter but as this involves an outside booking agency, it may require a little more time. We are also disappointed that the information at the time of the allotment of the room wasn’t shared with you.

However, we hope that you will take this incident as a rare occurrence. Our past rating and reviews are a testimony to the fact that we constantly strive to offer our patrons with unparallel hospitality and excellent service.

We appreciate you brought this matter to the forefront and hope that you will allow us to serve you again with a perfect stay.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Nothing extraordinary......if you want a good and clean hotel within a reasonable budget, surely it is for you. I didn't look for any other facilities from the hotel except bed and breakfast as I went to Kolkata for shopping of a wedding and that's why I had to spend all the time to the malls. All I did in the hotel was just to have breakfast and late night sleep.... a little shower in the middle of the shopping break......I enjoyed the musical arrangement on the last night of our stay.......

Nothing much to say about it......overall, it is kinda....okay. Recommended for budget stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
KenilworthKolkata, Management at Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for staying at Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata and sharing your experience on this public forum. We endeavor to serve our guests the best facilities to make their stay comfortable and enjoyable.

Our luxury hotel in Kolkata is located in the heart of the city and is easily accessible from commercial hubs of the metropolis. Catering to both leisure and business travelers alike, we offer an array of options for accommodation, food, relaxation and recreational amenities. We regret that you did not have ample time to experience all our world-class amenities but are glad that you enjoyed the musical evening on the last night of your stay.

Thank you once again for your review and look forward to your repeated patronage.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Located very close to Park Street, the hotel is an island of quiet in the city.
The location makes it easy to walk & explore the area, and to try eating joints like Mocambo.
Check-in/Check-out is always quick & efficient (although we did miss Cassandra on our last stay).
Pleasing lobby, cheerful decor in the well-lit corridors.
Comfortable sized rooms with all mod-cons (no fan or reading light though).
Bathroom had a traditional look with dark marble; very good quality supplies & a hair dryer.
Safe available in the room ; mini-bar was well stocked and reasonably priced.
Gym on the 2nd floor is very well equipped, windows on 3 sides make it quite bright & sunny, besides giving a view of lots of greenery.
The trainer was very attentive and helpful with several tips to tweak my exercise regimen.
I made good use of the bar coupons provided (the bar is in the 'heritage wing'); the barman gave efficient & non-intrusive service (especially if one sits at the bar). Space was lively with chatter and music.
Spread for Dinner & Breakfast is extensive; food was uniformly tasty and well presented.
The low level of noise in the restaurant aided conversation and made for an enjoyable meal.
However, these meals were outdone by our conference lunch as far as taste was concerned (I particularly liked the Grilled Fish in lemon butter sauce).
Our banquet arrangements were handled well; billing was quick.

We found the staff uniformly keen to make our stay enjoyable.
Have been going back as a result (this must be my 9th or 10th visit at least).
Would happily recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: No views from my room; higher rooms seem quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
KenilworthKolkata, Management at Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing to stay with us and we very sincerely appreciate your effort to write a review about us on a public platform. It is always heartwarming as well as rewarding to know that our patrons had a cheerful experience with us.

Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata is 4 star luxury hotel located at the heart of the city. The in-house restaurants and banquet services cater to all tastes with their delectable range of local and international cuisine. Our hotel along with the princely comfort also takes care of the health of our patrons with fully equipped Fitness centre.

Your positive feedback has been dully conveyed to the entire team. We thank you again for your valuable feedback and look forward to your repeated patronage.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed two nights at The Kenilworth and found the room very comfortable, with good bed and good shower. The staff were always helpful, and kindly offered us late checkout on the last day when we told them our train would leave at 6:30 pm. A very pleasant surprise was that the guests are now offered free WiFi in the rooms, which shows they pay attention to customer feedback, as some otherwise favourable reviews had commented on the high prices charged for internet.

Complimentary buffet breakfast was good, with a variety of Indian and Western dishes. Freshly made omelettes and masala dosa were very much appreciated.

The location is very central, close enough to Park Street and a metro station. Victoria Monument and good restaurants are also within walking distance.

For a hotel of this standard, we thought it was excellent value.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
KenilworthKolkata, Management at Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for staying at Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata and sharing your experience on this public forum. We are immensely pleased to know that we were able to impress you with our central location, world-class amenities, well-equipped rooms and impeccable hospitality.

We also thank you for giving us five-star overall rating that has made the entire team happy. Guest satisfaction is our prime objective; hence, we not only give importance to guest feedback but also strive to incorporate their suggestion. We are glad that you were pleased with our free WiFi, available in every room. Your special appreciation of our buffet breakfast has been conveyed to the kitchen team and they are overjoyed to have their effort acknowledged.

Once again, thank you for your patronage and feedback. It was a pleasure having you at our hotel, and we would be honored to welcome you back.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed at New Kenilworth for twelve days. Most of the staff are friendly and willing to help with just about anything you need. The rooms are clean and offer plenty of amenities to make most travelers comfortable. It is nice to have three restaurant options for dinner and the spa is a lovely addition to help any traveler relax after a long day.
But, as if often the case when you stay somewhere for an extensive amount of time, you are able to see the negatives as well. For example, I ordered the same dishes from room service at least a couple of times and never did I receive a meal that tasted the same. It was difficult to get reliable taxi service although we went to the same location most days of our stay. The hotel does not set up taxi service, only more expensive cars. So, if you are traveling on a business budget, you must fend for yourself. Also, when we went to check out it took over 45 minutes. There were issues with being over charged for laundry service - it seems that the housekeeping staff changes your laundry sheets without checking with the guest first - and being charged for Internet service, even though it expressly states in the booking receipt that there is free WiFi. Keep in mind that this means only WiFi in your room, not for use in the guest business area. So, if you want to take advantage, bring your own devices. Also, if you get laundry service, request a receipt when it is returned to check on the charges. Otherwise, the hotel is quite unwilling to deal with these issues during check out.

Room Tip: Rooms facing courtyard should be a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata during your recent stay and taking out the time to share your experience. We endeavor to serve our guests the best facilities to make their stay comfortable and enjoyable. We are glad to receive your appreciation for the amenities, dining areas and the spa.

We have noted the concerns highlighted by you and regret the inconvenience caused. Although, it was a rare instance, we assure you that corrective actions will be taken.

Feedback like yours helps us go a long way in strengthening our services. We look forward for another opportunity to add value to your visit.

Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Most of the staff particularly bell hops have been here for years and its always good to be back and encounter their warm reception.

As expected the rooms are in good nick. I checked in only at 0200am having picked up my family who arrived from Hong Kong but everything went well without a hitch.

Breakfast has improved considerably over the years.

Still a lovely and comfortable place in the heart of town particularly for travelers looking for a touch of the Kolkata of yester-years.

• Stayed: July 2013
KenilworthKolkata, Management at Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata again and sharing your experience with us on this public platform.

At Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata we endeavor to make your dining experience mesmerizing with a wide variety of delicacies to choose from. It delights us to know that you had a satisfying experience while dining with us and the overall layout of the property was at par with your expectations.