“Great hotel....amazing location...minimalistic yet tasteful decor...decent food!”
Review of Park Prime Kolkata

Park Prime Kolkata
Ranked #111 of 221 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I personally love the chrome!! Its a business hotel - not flamoboyant in its style but chic!

The ambience is quiet and professional.
The rooms are nice and cozy...the best part is its elegant shower and its array of pillows! A great place to stay after a tough day at work!

The location of the hotel is pretty central given its proximity to park street and camac street. So you are not too far away from good eateries and shopping centres as well!
The staff is courteous and very helpful. All the basic amenities are there. The hotel does lack a swimming pool but as I've been told by the staff, the pool is also on it way soon!

The breakfast buffet could do with some improvement in terms of the choices being offered. However, the food is pretty decent.
The only thing that this hotel needs is a spa and a pool!

All in all, a good experience and I would easily recommend it to people!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
New Delhi, India
Reviewed May 27, 2011

I have been staying in The Chrome since October 2009, and also written about it favourably in my review on May 2010. I had a lot of expectation from this hotel in terms of service, comfort and value, sadly in all the three it is steadily deteriorating.

Recently I stayed at Chrome for three 3nights, 9th, 10th and 11th May 2011. First let me talk about value, priced at Rs5400 + taxes without a gym or a swimming pool (which every time I visit for last one and a half year they are promising will be opened soon) has started to look like exhorbitant. If we factor in the poor service then it will seem more like a rip off. I had ordered room service first night. Firstly they close their kitchens early, so they told me I won't get chowmein as the cook had left. Only the leftovers were available which I agreed to have as I was very hungry. I told the room service waiter to clear the plates after half an hour but he never came back. By morning the room was smelling. To compound things the noise from street seeps in and I didn’t have a nice sleep (I was staying in room no. 606). On breakfast table a lady manager asked me for feedback, when I told her that I could not sleep due to noise seeping in she trivialized it saying it is expected as it is on the road. Also I told her about the non-clearance of plates at night which she promised will be taken care in future. On the last night also I ordered room service, and history repeated itself, no one came to clear the plates whole night. Further in the morning I was getting calls from the reception regarding when I will check out. I requested for a bell boy to take my luggage, but inspite of my repeated requests the bell boy didn’t arrive. I rushed down to the reception to check out and complained to the front desk executive, who said that this is happening as they have only one bell boy for the whole hotel. I nearly missed my flight as it took nearly an hour for my luggage to come down, I could have done it myself quicker.

The breakfast is also very limited with very little health food and limited variety. I have told atleast 5 times in my last 5 visits that sprouts and various fruits should be increased, but I have not seen anything getting implemented. Also during breakfast the waiter comes once to enquire the room number but they never come back to enquire about water or any other need. So you have to literally shout to get the attention of the waiters.

I have decided not to waste my time and money anymore in The Chrome, as better hotels are coming up in Kolkata, or hotels with similar comfort are available at lower price

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank saptarshi77

Travelers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed May 1, 2011

This hotel was refered by a friend, made advance booking and also informed the arrival flight details to the reservations department.
The Hotel confirmed our reservation in writing as well, almost 2 weeks in advance to our trip. Reached the hotel exactly at the scheduled time in the pickup vehicle sent by the hotel on chargeable basis
But when we went to the reception, they said the rooms are not ready yet and we need to wait for 30 minutes for the cleaning to be complete.
They forced us to wait for 45 minutes in the reception after our tiresome jounrey in air and the busy kolkata roads from airport to the city

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Ahmedabad
Reviewed April 29, 2011

This hotel is like a contemporary oasis in Kolkata for the business traveller. Compared to other stale & shaggy Kolkata hotels, this hotel is more lively. Room space is small, but makes up for it with good bed, breakfast & trendy interiors.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We were looking forward to our 5 night stay at this new 'luxury' hotel, the first of its type in Kolkata, but unfortunately it was a disaster from start to finish. It's an impressive building, the lobby looks amazing as you arrive, but for me the hotel was all about style and not about the guest experience.

The rooms werent clean when we arrived, bedsheets looked grubby and housekeeping had to re-clean them and change the beds while we were out for dinner. Despite this the new bedlinen was still torn and frayed. The bathrooms are tiny and grubby. Nothing was well maintained even though the hotel is only three years old. The towel rail broke on the first night. The luggage rack wasnt big enough for a standard size suitcase (why?) and the wardrobe not tall enough to hang anything longer than a shirt (strange for a luxury hotel). Don't expect to be able to hang up a dress. The desk was too small to really do any work on, and there are so many lights you spend a lot of time flicking a lot of switches.

The hotel is literally metres from a big busy flyover and there is no double glazing - so it is VERY noisy. It does not allow for a good nights sleep. Housekeeping were vacuuming loudly outside the room at 7.30 am. The hotel website raves about the beds but really they are just standard matresses and nothing special.

The breakfast is ok, there is a chef doing hot orders but it doesnt compare to other 4 and 5* hotels I've stayed in all over India. Restarant staff were attentive but the little touches were lacking - wilted and dead flowers in vases, frayed and grubby napkins, stains on the table cloths, exposed wires hanging over the hot buffet heaters.

There were a few positives, the staff were helpful and friendly, (mostly it seems they were embarassed about our experience), there was free wi-fi, the power shower was very good and the electric blinds were quite nice.

But overall it was one thing after another and we had to speak to the duty managers every day about some new problem or other. The drawbacks of the hotel may not be obvious for a short stay so it might be ok for a night - but only if you don't mind two star guest house experience at 5* prices.

I really expected more from a small luxury hotel of the world.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cpgem
Jamshedpur, India
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I have been staying in this hotel on several occasions over the last one year and have noticed that this hotel is running down on its services and quality over the last month. I always liked this hotel simply because of its location and most importantly the can-do attitude of the staff . My last stay in this hotel was totally a nightmare (thus this review). Lazy staff at the reception. No warmth. Instead of a can-do attitude, it seems they have developed a can’t-do attitude ! Check in was delayed. Even after having stayed in this hotel on several occasions, no one could recognize me and they did not even bother to check my preferences. I was given a room near the fly-over which I always hated (as there is no sound proofing and the vehicles just honks into your ears. Also the big speaker of the mosque next door faces the hotel and you are woken up as early as 5 am with loud recitals ) and requested for a change. I was told that all the other rooms are full and the rest are not cleaned by their cleaning department ! I had to survive in that room for a night without any sleep and checked out the very next day itself. Can anyone imagine the condition of myself who had travelled some 10 hours the previous day, no sleep in the night and supposedly doing an important meeting the very next day ?

Apart from this, I neither got any welcome drink nor an attempt to offer one. Earlier days, I was always asked for refreshments and was always served something refreshing. When I asked the reception about this, I was told that the same is on the way. Well, even after a good one hour nothing came and I did not even bother to follow up. Not that I just want to nag about not receiving a petty welcome drink. But the courtesy offered is what I meant. While checking out, when asked for the other supporting bills, reception staff could not locate it. This delayed the check out process too. The quality of room cleanliness has definitely gone done. Bedsheets had brown spots, towels were torn to shreds, no slippers provided, half filled conditioners and shampoo in the room (may be used by some one else), low water pressure, no step mats provided etc. Some friends came by and we asked for drinks, this was not available as there is no bar license in this hotel. I would probably rate this a 3 star hotel with 5 star prices. A total rip off !

Asked to speak to the manager. Unfortunately no managers were available or the manager did not want to meet us. I was also not offered a comment card where I could pen down my frustration. I was never treated this horrible manner ever during my several hotel stays in India & abroad. Overall a pathetic experience.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Frequentraveller60
chromehotel, General Manager at Park Prime Kolkata, responded to this review, April 3, 2011
Dear Sir,
we have read your comments on trip Advisor in regard to your last visit to Chrome and would like to first of all extend our apologies for your bad experiences you encountered.
We also take the liberty and reply to you immediately to proof to you, that we take your comments not only serious, but take up your suggestions by additional implementation and correct our short comings in Service.
Furthermore we took actions by means of further training our Staff
and improving Front Office Service and Housekeeping attentions to Customers.
Last but nor Least various investments took place and purchases are on the way to
make your stay at Chrome the way you wish it to be.
Our dear Valued Customer, may we therefor once more extend our sincere apologies
FROM ALL OF US to you for all your inconveniences you encountered on your last stay.
But please do give us the chance and opportunity, of welcoming you once again,
so that we can proof to you our new measurements and Service improvements the way you can expect it from a First Class Chrome Hotel.
The undersigned took up his new assignment as General Manger March 1st and I would like to personally meet you on your next visit to turn your bad memories into good ones and many
more pleasant stays at Chrome like many other guest do.
Sincerely yours
Wolfgang Brandstaetter
New Delhi, India
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Chrome is situated in the heart of Kolkata, a stones throw from Park street which is the most prominent landmark of Kolkata.
The hotel gives you a very vibrant and exuberant feel to it especially because its fairly new. The rooms are decently sized and extremely comfortable. I really loved the soft beds and choice of pillows (hard/soft). I would rate the quality of rooms as good as 5 star.
The food is extremely good especially if the guest wants a feel of the local cuisine. There are wide choices of Continental, Chinese and Italian too.
The crew are exceptionally good and warm. Smartly dressed they will give you a very youthful feel to their overall service

Room Tip: The best advantage of the hotel is the location.