“Style but no substance”
Review of Park Prime Kolkata

Park Prime Kolkata
Ranked #110 of 221 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
London, United Kingdom
“Style but no substance”
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We were looking forward to our 5 night stay at this new 'luxury' hotel, the first of its type in Kolkata, but unfortunately it was a disaster from start to finish. It's an impressive building, the lobby looks amazing as you arrive, but for me the hotel was all about style and not about the guest experience.

The rooms werent clean when we arrived, bedsheets looked grubby and housekeeping had to re-clean them and change the beds while we were out for dinner. Despite this the new bedlinen was still torn and frayed. The bathrooms are tiny and grubby. Nothing was well maintained even though the hotel is only three years old. The towel rail broke on the first night. The luggage rack wasnt big enough for a standard size suitcase (why?) and the wardrobe not tall enough to hang anything longer than a shirt (strange for a luxury hotel). Don't expect to be able to hang up a dress. The desk was too small to really do any work on, and there are so many lights you spend a lot of time flicking a lot of switches.

The hotel is literally metres from a big busy flyover and there is no double glazing - so it is VERY noisy. It does not allow for a good nights sleep. Housekeeping were vacuuming loudly outside the room at 7.30 am. The hotel website raves about the beds but really they are just standard matresses and nothing special.

The breakfast is ok, there is a chef doing hot orders but it doesnt compare to other 4 and 5* hotels I've stayed in all over India. Restarant staff were attentive but the little touches were lacking - wilted and dead flowers in vases, frayed and grubby napkins, stains on the table cloths, exposed wires hanging over the hot buffet heaters.

There were a few positives, the staff were helpful and friendly, (mostly it seems they were embarassed about our experience), there was free wi-fi, the power shower was very good and the electric blinds were quite nice.

But overall it was one thing after another and we had to speak to the duty managers every day about some new problem or other. The drawbacks of the hotel may not be obvious for a short stay so it might be ok for a night - but only if you don't mind two star guest house experience at 5* prices.

I really expected more from a small luxury hotel of the world.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cpgem

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Jamshedpur, India
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I have been staying in this hotel on several occasions over the last one year and have noticed that this hotel is running down on its services and quality over the last month. I always liked this hotel simply because of its location and most importantly the can-do attitude of the staff . My last stay in this hotel was totally a nightmare (thus this review). Lazy staff at the reception. No warmth. Instead of a can-do attitude, it seems they have developed a can’t-do attitude ! Check in was delayed. Even after having stayed in this hotel on several occasions, no one could recognize me and they did not even bother to check my preferences. I was given a room near the fly-over which I always hated (as there is no sound proofing and the vehicles just honks into your ears. Also the big speaker of the mosque next door faces the hotel and you are woken up as early as 5 am with loud recitals ) and requested for a change. I was told that all the other rooms are full and the rest are not cleaned by their cleaning department ! I had to survive in that room for a night without any sleep and checked out the very next day itself. Can anyone imagine the condition of myself who had travelled some 10 hours the previous day, no sleep in the night and supposedly doing an important meeting the very next day ?

Apart from this, I neither got any welcome drink nor an attempt to offer one. Earlier days, I was always asked for refreshments and was always served something refreshing. When I asked the reception about this, I was told that the same is on the way. Well, even after a good one hour nothing came and I did not even bother to follow up. Not that I just want to nag about not receiving a petty welcome drink. But the courtesy offered is what I meant. While checking out, when asked for the other supporting bills, reception staff could not locate it. This delayed the check out process too. The quality of room cleanliness has definitely gone done. Bedsheets had brown spots, towels were torn to shreds, no slippers provided, half filled conditioners and shampoo in the room (may be used by some one else), low water pressure, no step mats provided etc. Some friends came by and we asked for drinks, this was not available as there is no bar license in this hotel. I would probably rate this a 3 star hotel with 5 star prices. A total rip off !

Asked to speak to the manager. Unfortunately no managers were available or the manager did not want to meet us. I was also not offered a comment card where I could pen down my frustration. I was never treated this horrible manner ever during my several hotel stays in India & abroad. Overall a pathetic experience.

1 Thank Frequentraveller60
chromehotel, General Manager at Park Prime Kolkata, responded to this review, April 3, 2011
Dear Sir,
we have read your comments on trip Advisor in regard to your last visit to Chrome and would like to first of all extend our apologies for your bad experiences you encountered.
We also take the liberty and reply to you immediately to proof to you, that we take your comments not only serious, but take up your suggestions by additional implementation and correct our short comings in Service.
Furthermore we took actions by means of further training our Staff
and improving Front Office Service and Housekeeping attentions to Customers.
Last but nor Least various investments took place and purchases are on the way to
make your stay at Chrome the way you wish it to be.
Our dear Valued Customer, may we therefor once more extend our sincere apologies
FROM ALL OF US to you for all your inconveniences you encountered on your last stay.
But please do give us the chance and opportunity, of welcoming you once again,
so that we can proof to you our new measurements and Service improvements the way you can expect it from a First Class Chrome Hotel.
The undersigned took up his new assignment as General Manger March 1st and I would like to personally meet you on your next visit to turn your bad memories into good ones and many
more pleasant stays at Chrome like many other guest do.
Sincerely yours
Wolfgang Brandstaetter

Travelers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

New Delhi, India
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Chrome is situated in the heart of Kolkata, a stones throw from Park street which is the most prominent landmark of Kolkata.
The hotel gives you a very vibrant and exuberant feel to it especially because its fairly new. The rooms are decently sized and extremely comfortable. I really loved the soft beds and choice of pillows (hard/soft). I would rate the quality of rooms as good as 5 star.
The food is extremely good especially if the guest wants a feel of the local cuisine. There are wide choices of Continental, Chinese and Italian too.
The crew are exceptionally good and warm. Smartly dressed they will give you a very youthful feel to their overall service

Room Tip: The best advantage of the hotel is the location.
Jamshedpur, India
Reviewed March 25, 2011

This is with reference to our experience at Hotel Chrome during our last visit to Kolkata.
The overall attitude and behavior of the front office staff and the General Manager at Chrome was absolutely uncouth, insensitive and “We don’t care for our guests” type. This was accentuated by the unruly behavior and approach taken by the GM of the hotel. Being in the Hospitality industry, they should realize the importance of being courteous and should be polite to say the least.
Our bitter experience started the moment we entered the hotel for check-in. The hotel could not recall our reservation and as always made us wait for an unprecedented amount of time without any reason. To make matters worse, they informed us that we would have to pay higher room rates than our usual approved rates as per the corporate tie-up with the hotel. They then raised their voices and fingers at us which by no means in a way to deal with humans, let alone guests staying at the hotel.
The above occurrence has left a negative impression about the staff of Hotel Chrome on us and makes us feel uncomfortable to stay with them ever again.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed March 24, 2011

A nice comfortable hotel in the heart of city. The rooms are nicely furnished with full of comforts. The Bathroom is small but very comfortable & hygenic.
The Buffet Breakfast is cool

Simply value for money

New Delhi, India
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I have stayed at the Chrome for the entire duration of a project in Kolkata - It was chosen initially as it offered the best value for money, with the luxury being better than some of the so called '5 star' hotels in Kolkata.

Chrome describes itself as 'Chic' and 'Plush' - I would agree. The first thing you will notice is the 'Cheese Block' architecture, with circular lights on the facade of the building, which keep changing colour.

The rooms though not very big, are well furnished, clean along with all modern amenities. The food is really good and reasonably priced as well. The wifi at Chrome is pretty awesome. The staff is polite and would generally try and make your stay very comfortable. It's located in the heart of busy Kolkata... within 15 minutes of Park Street etc. It's a perfect hotel for a business trip.

The downsides - the service tends to be slightly inconsistent, but nothing major. ( 3 out of 5 rooms had fruit baskets and 2 didn't, welcome drinks are offered on some visits, and sometimes are totally forgotten about!)

What the hotel is lacking is additional facilities like a parour, gymn, swimming pool, indoor games etc. Another irritant can be the road noise - if you get the road facing rooms. But that would be true for most hotels in this busy part of the town.

All in all, I would rate my stay as very comfortable.

Ludhiana, India
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Stayed there for just one night, simply becos trip advisor rating was 5. The hotel is not bad, is clean, rooms are small modern n clean. But something is just missing! its surprising that it can be even in top 10! The staff is very lethargic and average. Waiting time for check in is the norm even when you can hurry up. Food is not bad, but just above average. Overall lacklustre. Location seems central, but anyplace you want to go is atleast 30-45 minutes away. Boring hotel!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business