“Amazing Bengali food!”

Bhojohori Manna Hindusthan Road
Ranked #41 of 4,263 Restaurants in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2013

It was my second trip to Kolkata (the 1st was very brief!) and shopping was on my mind this time. I actually wanted to try out the street food while I shopped at Gariahat but as I was with my colleagues, we decided to sit at 1 location and eat first.

After a lot of confusion over where to eat, we tried out Bhojohari Manna. Fish is not my fav especially bcoz I find it too tediuos to remove the bones and eat. I ordered some chicken cutlets coz thats the only thing I could understand and was without bones. Others ordered prawns, fish & then came to the boneless stuff....thats when I took off!

One thing I must appreciate is that these guys have a lot of variety and the taste is just too awesome. I tried "shorshe -elish" - the best out of all that we ordered! We kept ordering fried prawns (coated with batter) + fish in a similar coating...can't remember the name.

Then came the turn of sweets...Mishti doi was the most fav!!! We did try Kheer-kadam, Roshogulla, etc....all amazing! When u are in Kolkata, u can eat sweets anywhere & the taste is just the same...awesome!

For those who are new to Kolkata, Gariahat in the South is recommended for shopping - avoid Sundays as you would find a lot of shops closed. And this restaurant is close-by, so a must visit. If you dont understand from the name what kind of a dish it is, just ask the waiter. Tell him exactly what you want and they will suggest accordingly. Also, please note a few dishes mentioned on the menu may be sweet, so if you dont like your main course to be sweet, please let them know. Bengali's have a hint of sweetness in their food as well.

A must try while in Kolkata! Also, this place is crowded, there may be some waiting time before you get your table.

2  Thank Maleka131313

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

The food they serve you is really tasty( sometimes it is too sugary, even meat and fish has that sugary taste) The atmosphere is really good and staffs are helpful.If you are a non Bengali let me tell you, do try chingri macher malai curry, sorshe elish and ofcourse meat.

1  Thank SayoniR
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This restaurant has become my number one choice for bengalee cuisine, but public holidays are the times to avoid this place because of the heavy rush of the clients, the service as well as the quality of food deteriorates abysmally. I took my dad and sis to this place on the indepence day for a quality gourmet experience but was thoroughly disappointed, to begin with there was no "kochuri" or "luchi" , the cholar daal was underboiled, chingri malai curry was missing, boneless mutton korma left a lot to be desired the only saving grace being the bhetki sorshe bata and the nolen gurer icecream. Comeon Bhojohori Manna you can do lot better.

1  Thank subirguha
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Whenever in Kolkata, I make it a point to eat Bengali food,and normally eat at the pricier Peerless Inn. Based on various recommendations, I decided to eat at Bhojohori Manna this time, and am glad i did. The food is really flavourful, and from the number of 'locals' eating there, would seem like it is pretty authentic. I had a very interesting banana flower dish (with mustard and coconut), alu jhinga poshto, begun bhaja, hinger kachuri, and a couple of other dishes. All tasted fresh and distinctlive. Though the potato/cauliflower curry didnt taste particularly Bengali. The piece de resistance for me was the Nulen Gurer Ice Cream. Probably the best dessert I have had in the past few months and one I would gladly return to Kolkata for every month if I could. I am sure their 'non-bhej' is also great, going by the sounds of contented mastication coming from the other tables. At about 80 rupees a dish, this was great value for money. Now for the constructive criticism:
1) A number of items on the menu werent available, When this is pointed out to the management, they refer you to the fine print at the bottom of the menu which states that not all things might be available at all times. Strange. I can understand this policy for seasonal vegetables, but for staples like Luchis/Kachuris - its inexplicable. When I said I wanted Luchis/Kachuris, i was told that these were only available from 4 pm onwards, which is when they received supplies from their other restaurants. I have to be fair however- when I told them that I was on a day's trio from outside Kolkata and would really like to have some, they went out of their way to get some flour from the Bazaar and make some specially for me.
2) The wait staff don't seem to be very comfortable in Hindi or English, which I guess is understandable given that the main clientele is locals. This does make it a little more difficult for out of towners though.
3) I ended up doing most of the communicating with one of the managers of the place. While he was very helpful and friendly, he didn't seem to have much of a clue into what went into each of the dishes. Every time I asked him about a dish, I got nothing more than a couple of the basic ingredients that went into the dish, and even these were wrong at times. Would definitely appreciate being able to get more info into what I am eating - this adds to the experience for me.
Overall though - great Bangla food and a place I would gladly go to again and again.

1  Thank Manu J
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The mecca for any Bengalis at Kolkata is Bhojohori Manna's Hindusthan Road. The portion sizes are just perfect and the perparations are awesone.

Whenever I want to eat Bengali food I do not think twice.

The fish served there is fresh and the fresh catch.

They do have many outlets at Kolkata however Hindsthan Road is my personal favourite.

I would like to thank the core team of Bhojohori Manna to create a place like that for Bengalis to relish and cherish.

Only request would be to atleast incorporate availability of beer along with the meals which would be just perfect for a afternoon lunch.

Many regards,