“Restaurant Review”

Bhojohori Manna Hindusthan Road
Ranked #50 of 4,164 Restaurants in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Kolkata, India
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Restaurant Review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

This restaurant has become my number one choice for bengalee cuisine, but public holidays are the times to avoid this place because of the heavy rush of the clients, the service as well as the quality of food deteriorates abysmally. I took my dad and sis to this place on the indepence day for a quality gourmet experience but was thoroughly disappointed, to begin with there was no "kochuri" or "luchi" , the cholar daal was underboiled, chingri malai curry was missing, boneless mutton korma left a lot to be desired the only saving grace being the bhetki sorshe bata and the nolen gurer icecream. Comeon Bhojohori Manna you can do lot better.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank subirguha

Gandhinagar, India
“Great Bangla Food; Nulen Gurer Ice Cream to die for!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Whenever in Kolkata, I make it a point to eat Bengali food,and normally eat at the pricier Peerless Inn. Based on various recommendations, I decided to eat at Bhojohori Manna this time, and am glad i did. The food is really flavourful, and from the number of 'locals' eating there, would seem like it is pretty authentic. I had a very interesting banana flower dish (with mustard and coconut), alu jhinga poshto, begun bhaja, hinger kachuri, and a couple of other dishes. All tasted fresh and distinctlive. Though the potato/cauliflower curry didnt taste particularly Bengali. The piece de resistance for me was the Nulen Gurer Ice Cream. Probably the best dessert I have had in the past few months and one I would gladly return to Kolkata for every month if I could. I am sure their 'non-bhej' is also great, going by the sounds of contented mastication coming from the other tables. At about 80 rupees a dish, this was great value for money. Now for the constructive criticism:
1) A number of items on the menu werent available, When this is pointed out to the management, they refer you to the fine print at the bottom of the menu which states that not all things might be available at all times. Strange. I can understand this policy for seasonal vegetables, but for staples like Luchis/Kachuris - its inexplicable. When I said I wanted Luchis/Kachuris, i was told that these were only available from 4 pm onwards, which is when they received supplies from their other restaurants. I have to be fair however- when I told them that I was on a day's trio from outside Kolkata and would really like to have some, they went out of their way to get some flour from the Bazaar and make some specially for me.
2) The wait staff don't seem to be very comfortable in Hindi or English, which I guess is understandable given that the main clientele is locals. This does make it a little more difficult for out of towners though.
3) I ended up doing most of the communicating with one of the managers of the place. While he was very helpful and friendly, he didn't seem to have much of a clue into what went into each of the dishes. Every time I asked him about a dish, I got nothing more than a couple of the basic ingredients that went into the dish, and even these were wrong at times. Would definitely appreciate being able to get more info into what I am eating - this adds to the experience for me.
Overall though - great Bangla food and a place I would gladly go to again and again.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Manu J
KOLKATA
“Tandoori Naan...Aloo Posto....Tok Dal...Kosha Mangsho....Nolen gurer ice cream”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

The mecca for any Bengalis at Kolkata is Bhojohori Manna's Hindusthan Road. The portion sizes are just perfect and the perparations are awesone.

Whenever I want to eat Bengali food I do not think twice.

The fish served there is fresh and the fresh catch.

They do have many outlets at Kolkata however Hindsthan Road is my personal favourite.

I would like to thank the core team of Bhojohori Manna to create a place like that for Bengalis to relish and cherish.

Only request would be to atleast incorporate availability of beer along with the meals which would be just perfect for a afternoon lunch.

Many regards,

Mr. and Mrs Misra

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank SAIKAT M
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Heaven on my plate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Sometimes i wonder there is a reason why Bengal is bengal. I am not sure whether this is a right forum to review this but food is certainly there plus. For bengali food not fine dining places of course this is an excellent choice. Do not think twice. Ordered a steam fish boneless marinated in mustard sauce and sweet rice with dry fruits. I am still in heaven.

• Visited July 2013
Hyderabad
“Never had such food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Was on my way back from new jalpai gudi and decided to spend one day at kolkata asked our cab driver to take us to an authentic bengali restaurant and we arrived at bhojohori manna the place does not looks great but the food is awesome. As I was unaware of bengali food asked to server bengali thali and the curry what they server were just mouth watering never ever had tasted such flavoured curry the taste was completely different which I never ever had any where. My friends had ordered for fish curry and the feedback was same. So planning to go for a authentic bengali food then u must try this out

• Visited March 2013