“Warm Hospitality”

Hotel Hindusthan International Kolkata
Ranked #35 of 235 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We like staying at the Hotel hindusthan international for its central location and personal attention. Everytime we check in we are greeted with smiling faces and the staff are always eager to help. Particularly like to mention the Mythh Coffee shop manager Hari who always shines through. I stay on the 7th floor where the rooms are not the newest in the city but are well maintained. The breakfast spread is elaborate with a lot of options and the hotel has a good nightclub called the Underground. I use the gym and pool as well as theres nothing like beating a long days work with a good swim. I highly recommend this hotel as its the perfect combination of affordable prices with luxury.

Room Tip: Room Tip Rooms facing the flyover have a good view
Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed August 25, 2013

3-star conditions and service quality. Food was good (had dinner and b'fast) and timely service. However, reception was very average (proper greeting and smile missing). None asked how was my stay!! Pool was closed but no online mention and was communicated when we came down to swim - 2 guys were seen in the water, but we're told it's under maintenance without any apologies. Renovation is the need of the hour - stuff is dated. And then there was this - as I stood outside of the hotel after dinner, a long construction material (made of very thick paper/cardboard) fell on back of my head. Lucky probably wasn't a bigger incident. But, the reaction from hotel employees was first of muted shock and later explaining how it wasn't hotel property, someone left it there! One guy apologized, Manager (Dip?) muttered something complimentary (nothing offered at check-out and I didn't ask), called my room once (asked if I need a doc). That's it! Shouldn't you go further to ensure that I leave ok, communicate with me that this won't happen again with the steps that you're taking (if I was facing the other way or a kid in my place would yield much different outcome) and this doesn't leave a bad taste with me in general after your professionalism? Mistakes and even crisis do happen, but it's how you deal with...left a LOT to be desired and gave me a big pause to consider you again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
hhihotels, Manager at Hotel Hindusthan International Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Dear Sir,

Greeting from The HHI Kolkata !
First of all, we do take an apology for the incident had happened to you during the stay - the management have taken very serious action against the concerned department. Its our assurance that next time this won't be happened again, in the mean time our Front Office Manager would speak to you & kindly do stay with us on your next visit at Kolkata ..

Best Regards,
Bhaskar Mallick

Reviewed August 20, 2013

firstly, I was looking for a deal on various sites and goibibo gave me the best deal for the HHI. On reaching the hotel, premises in precisely 7mins I was in the room that was located on 8th floor. Looking at the room I was satisfied with the cleanliness and the hospitality. I did not face any problem or late service issues and I should be thankful to the staff for the prompt service and a pleasing stay which was not possible without their cooperation. I will surely recommend the hotel for the service they provide. The swimming pool was clean, although I did not get enough time to explore the other services provided in the hotel due to my short stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I will first start with the positives, the only hotel in that particular area having swimming pool, metro is easily accessible maximum 15 minutes by walk to the ravindra sadan metro station, in house live phillipino band, good variety of foods since it has both kind of restaurants catering the need of western and Indian traveler. Now on the basis of above positive one can not rate this hotel as a 5 star. On the gate of the hotel we were not greeted well as the Darbaan was most of the busy in calling taxis anyways it was quite small point to notice but when it comes to 5 star hotel we have to look into these points...moving ahead check in was smooth no issues at all we entered into the room found the bed sheet having spot at various places, looking it was not cleaned properly.... since the hotel provide in house DVD collection of movie for free time in your room itself (which is again a good USP) but the turn up time of room service in providing the requested DVD is very bad you need to wait for at least 4 to 5 hours for your requested movies which are available with them... Pool cleaning is below standard, staff never carry themselves in their attitude as they are working for a 5 star property even at the time of our check out they showed us a bill of few bucks towards the consumption room bar which was totally untouched from our side then they finally inspected and not charged any thing later but again my point here is being having the highest standard in service industry one must do his or her homework before putting anything in front your prestigious clients, overall you will not feel once that you are staying in a 5 star property hence my recommendation to everybody who read this post and thinking of booking this property on the basis of its star categorization just think once again otherwise you will just come back with some disappointing memories!!!

Room Tip: Go for 8th floor pool view rooms only, view is most important.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank RahulDSharma
hhihotels, Manager at Hotel Hindusthan International Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Sir,
Greetings from The HHI Kolkata !
Thank you for your valuable feed back about your stay with us - already we have shared with respective department with a corrective measures.
Assuring you the best of our services at all times.

Warm Regards,
Bhaskar Mallick

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Location wise excellent.
Antic look is good but needs to be tweaked to look better.
Rooms need upgrading and better facilities need to be provided to customers.
Restaurant and coffee shop staff need to trained a lot to work with a smile and not act dull and dumb. They need to listen to clients properly to understand their needs and service with a smile.
Rooms are quiet and comfortable.
Banquet and other facilities are good.
Banquet staff is very co-operative and flexible too.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Hsanghavi
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was at the HHI for a period of 2 weeks. During my stay I was absolutely floored by the service that I received. The care and attention I received was among the best in the world. Maybe there wasn't as much finesse as say a Ritz but at the end of the day I rather have warmth than a stiff upper lip polite service.
My room was nice too, bright colours and nicely lit, I could see that it was not very new but it was well maintained none the less.
The breakfast at the coffee shop was good, with a wide spread. Really like the South Indian dishes.
To sum it up the hotel has good location, good rooms, good service and comes at a good price.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the elevator has good wifi connectivity
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sarita P
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Once I stepped into the hotel, I was served with a glass of juice. I was rather tired and thirsty and this young girl's smiling face with a glass of juice made me feel much better. I was in Kolkata to close an important deal for my company and wanted to get my room .there was this old gentleman....Mr Mukherjee who spoke very well and asked me if he could help me with the luggage. I gladly gave him my laptop bag( the shoulder was aching a bit after my delayed flight) and other luggages.
The lobby manager gave me a room on the fifth floor overlooking this panoramic view of Kolkata.room smelled fresh and I remembered Mr Mukhrjee telling me they were the best rooms in the hotel.i sat near the window and wondered what brings me back to HHI every time I visit Kolkata. Being a person whose roots were in Kolkata I always wanted to be in the heart of the city.from here I can walk down to Flury,s and have my evening tea and finish the Hungry Tides which I am carrying in my purse.
Ordered for some fish.....wanted some marcher jhal as they say in Bengali and rice. I looked at the flamingo shaped table and saw some handmade chocolates. In seconds they were over, as they were really amazing. Well the wine , I thought will save for the evening. Asked for the wi-fi and sat down with my work till the macher jhal came. The chef called me to ask how hot I wanted my jhal as this item was not in the room service menu card. He asked few questions and I think he understood. I left the expertise on to him and he hung up. Amazingly the wi- fi was fast and I completed answering those usual mails and sent stinker mails to my team members. Now that they know I am in Kolkata they must be partying.
The door bell rang and I could smell the macher jhal and rice. I thanked bablu( had asked his name) and he had greeted me. I asked Bablu what makes him smile everyday and greet with such great enthusiasm. He said Madam its Kolkata.....here everyone smiles and greets you.yes indeed the city of joy.....
Well after having my fish and rice ,got ready for the crucial meeting. Asked the travel desk for a car and soon managed to reach Dalhousie. Indeed the heritage building of Writers was in front of me. Stepped out of the car and and asked the few policemen the way. They directed me towards Mr Partha Chaterjee' rooms. Meeting over I was too happy to return to my hotel and party. First called all my friends and asked them to be at Underground by 8.
Evening time....dressed to occasion I stepped into UG as they call it. My friends had already started joining me. Vodka shots....and then again Vodka shots....the smile and laughter did not stop. 5 mad women enjoyed the evening and at around 12 , we decided to bid goodbye as I had work the next morning.
Back to my rooms I drawed the curtains and I smiled... That's the Howrah bridge...what an amazing view.
Next day after work ,was the time to leave Kolkata......and check out of HHI .wanted to meet Mr Rodney Kaypee the gm of the hotel. I knew he is very particular about the guests and he had made all arrangements so special.thanked him and checked out...
Waiting for my next visit to Kolkata.....the city of joy indeed!!!!!

Room Tip: The colony premiums...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business