“Pretty good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mangalam Hotel

Mangalam Hotel
Ranked #130 of 218 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
San Francisco, California
“Pretty good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

I'd give this hotel 3.5 stars. There were some problems with my stay- at first they had no record of my reservation and it was 2 am so I may have had to go back out into the street (but they let me stay and it turned out to be fine), a number of the staff didn't speak English, there was sometimes no hot water, and I found a bed bug in my jacket- but they changed my room promptly when I complained and I had no more problems (with bed bugs) and it is very inexpensive for what you get. Rooms are decent, breakfast is decent, and they even brought it to my room for no charge. I had extremely inexpensive massages in my room each day, about $500 rupees for an hour, which was great. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

Hotel Mangalam is a relatively new hotel ; just about a 15 minute ride away from the very well known Park Street. The small hotel itself looks neat. The staff is attentive and helpful.

We checked in to our executive room, not large but good enough to accommodate 3 individuals with an extra bed. The beds were extremely comfortable with crisp linens and soft pillows. The room service is quick. The bathrooms are relatively big and clean.

The hotel has just one restaurant – with an extensive menu though. The food is relatively good. The breakfast buffet is not an extravagant spread. A choice of continental and Indian breakfast; with either South Indian or Punjabi dish on a rotational basis.

The hotel is extremely simple hence one must not go with a fancy picture in mind. The hotel is value for money with good basic facilities. We had no complains.

Room Tip: advance booking since the hotel is small
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

Hotel Mangalam - Kolkata
we chk in on the 7th april for 4 nights stay .....we took a deluxe room tht they have.since it could fit it one more extra bed ...the hotel is very economically priced and it also had breakfast included in it .the hotel is centrally located in the area of sarat bose road .it is around 45 minutes drive from the airport .thet have buffet breakfast for the guests it is mainly southindian food and milk and flakes and toast also with fresh juices. the hotel staff was quite polite and helpful.nxt to the hotel couple of steps away is located the lakshmi narayan mandir .and on the opp side of the hotel there is a famous dhaba (food joint) called jai hind dhaba...it is according to me the onli place open for food till 2.30 am in the morning .if this place was not there we would be staying hungry at night .this restuarant has excellent punjabi and chinese cuisine.and they also serve dinner to the hotel room.the rooms at the hotel are small but it is well equiped with fridge n all...the bathrooms are decent with new shower fittings and all.the beds are also comfortable.this hotel is very reasonably prised as compared to other hotels in the same area.i would again go back to this place and stay when i am there for business.its price factor and central locality will pull me back to the hotel.

3 Thank pravet
Bhubaneswar, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2011

I stayed there during a business trip. The room was booked by the company.We reached late in the night and had just gone out for dinner in a dhaba infront of the hotel when we saw smoke coming out from the hotel.The staff cooperated and swaung into action and called the fire bridage immediately who controlled the fire.
Not a safe hotel to stay.The staff was cooperative and locals gave all help.The GM or owner did not showup to take care of the Guests.In the middle og night guest vacated the rooms and were left to themselves for all transfer arrangements.

2 Thank bchanduka

Travelers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

Euless, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

In September of 2010 I spent 6 nights at Hotel Mangalam on the Sarat Bose Road near the centre of Kolkata. I am a frequent visitor to the city and am always looking for a good but economical hotel. After reading a printed review I decided to give the Mangalam a try and I was pleasantly surprised.
Booking a room was easily accomplished online and I was even able to pay for the room in advance which I found to be a great help in balancing my trip budget,
Check-in was a breeze and I was taken to a room on the top floor which faced the interesting neighborhood directly behind the hotel.
The room was an Executive-type and was spacious. There was a king-sized bed, writing desk and chair, armoir, and a small table and chair with tea maker. A refrigerator was located next to desk and broadband internet was available upon request.
Complimentary breakfast was served every morning at the Radhekrishna Restaurant on the ground floor. The breakfast was always an an excellent buffet which often featured southern Indian dishes. If I was working in my room in the morning and had not yet appeared for breakfast the staff would ring my room to remind me to come downstairs to the restaurant. I found that to be a nice touch.
Room and bathroom were always maintained and well-cleaned. Laundry service was quick and economical.
The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is situated near the Laxmi Narayan temple on Sarat Bose Road and good shopping, cinema and Metro station (Rabindra Sadan) are all within walking distance, although taxis are plentiful on this busy street.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Hotel Mangalam and look forward to staying there on my next trip to Kolkata.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Paul H
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

After great struggle found one reasonably good hotel in Kolkatta. Rooms were clean, TV, room service everything fine. Only problem was with breakfast. Very few items served and restaurant also didnt had many varieties for the dinner. Its comfortable to stay but not for food.

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Sweet_Rams
orlando, florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2010

It was cold and it was almost midnight and I didn't have a place to stay. I was on a scooter, driving, looking for a place to stay. I found this hotel open and asked for a room. The manager was friendly and we negotiated a deal (a bit of a discount over published rate).

The room was clean. I had hot water for a shower. The bathroom was clean and nice. The bed was typical of Kolkata hotel; a bit thin and small. But it wasn't rock hard and it was clean. Room was quiet. Woke up and had breakfast buffet which was good and included in the room price.

Overall, it's a decent value for the mid-priced hotel. There aren't that many mid priced hotels in Calcutta. I tried to stay there for my next visit, but the hotel was completely booked.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business