“Mixed experience, Average overall”
Review of Walson Spa "O" Tel

Walson Spa "O" Tel
Ranked #149 of 224 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I traveled on a business trip in the month of June and stayed for 2 nights. I booked this hotel due to its proximity with my proposed meeting places.

Location: Its on Sudder street which is very near to the shopping areas of New market and Part street. The park street metro station is almost at walkable distance. The lane may loo old and bustling with people and cars even up to late night. one can get local taxis even in late hours in the night. The area is mostly frequented by foreign tourists. One can find a lot of cyber cafes and small eating joints nearby.

Room: I stayed in room 202 on first floor. The rooms are small. It was okay for me as i was alone. The room was well appointed with Tea coffee machine and supplies, Water bottles, a Mini fridge with water bottles, soft drinks, juices and chocolate. Some snacks like chips and Namkeen were also kept. The bed and the lined was clean. The bed was comfortable for a descent sleep. The towels were not the cleanest and i got them changed.

The bathroom was also well appointed with soaps, shampoo, moisturizer, shaving and dental kit. The bathroom was clean and the shower area is just sufficient. The room used to get locked every time i came out for some work of eating and i had to call the reception to send a guy to open the room with master key every single time. This may become annoying and lessens the sense of security of the stuff kept in the room as the floor supervisors have the master key to open the room. I found all my luggage safe and not touched by anybody. This category of room may seem small for a family with 1 child.

Service: I found the room service to be descent. The staff at the receptions seem to be clueless many times. I requested for a hotel cab and was told that it is not available as it was Sunday. He suggested that I must try at other cab service providers outside the hotel. So please remember to make your own arrangement and don't depend on this hotel for travel. Also, make prior arrangement for cab, if needed as it would be very difficult to find one in Kolkata on Sundays.

Food: Food was descent. The breakfast had limited but tasty options. One can also ask them for eggs-to-order of your choice. I ordered the dinner in my room and it was brought in descent time. I would have like more quantity on some of the items. It may be because I ordered at 11 PM in night.

The restaurant also present some live music on some evenings. One can check with the hotel directly for the schedule.

Overall: A descent hotel and descent location. The rooms may seem to be small and service is slow. The front desk staff can be more efficient. The food provided is good. Other services are virtually non existent like wi-fi, working travel desk etc.

Room Tip: If one wants a window that does not open to a wall, ask for a room on the front side of the hotel.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed here for two nights after returning from Sikkim, to be honest we were quite apprehensive as we approached the hotel as the street outside was bustling with activity even at 11 p.m in the night,( this we later came to know is the most favoured destination for foreign tourists owing to its close proximity to New Market(shopping area),Park Street( Best Restaurants in town),Museums,City Square,Movie Theaters) but once inside the hotel it was as if were transported to another world, calm and serene the only sound you could hear was the slow humming of the a.c machines and after a week of high activity Himalayan holiday we were looking forward to couple of days of complete rest. A daily session at their mantra spa( their therapies are amazing yet pocket freindly, remember to book in the morning for your evening session as they are always busy) followed by a cup of steaming coffee and hookah at their open air courtyard restaurant left us completely rejuvenated and wishing we had spent many more nights here.
Special thanks to debasis chef for dilligently providing pongal every morning for break fast.
Am coming back as soon as i can.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I've been staying at the BW once or twice a month for the last year ans a half. In the first months I enjoyed my time there, especially th location. But in the last year this facility and it's services have gone way, way down. On check-in last night my colleague found his bed, though freshly made, to be dirty, requiring the sheets to be changed. In my room the key wouldn't work. No problem said the guy at the desk, just come get him every single time you need to enter the room and he'll open it with his pass card. Not really the solution I was looking for. Now, about the Internet... It used to work fine, but then the hotel made an agreement with TATA communications for them to install a system. There is, in theory, some free Internet, but just try and get logged on. Each time I've stayed since it was installed I've hd to spend close to an hour to get connected. It requires that you have an Indian call number which you have to enter and it send you an SMS code which also must be entered. The problem is it often doesnt work or disconnects you immediately. A pain in theory, an impossible nightmare for someone who just wants to check email and go to sleep. Clearly, management just doesn't care about its guests or their experience here, for instance contracting with TATA to make it difficult to access the Internet in hopes of squeezing out a little extra revenue. Worse,when it proves to be a complete disaster and guests are complaining the do nothing. My advise is to just stay aay from the Bawa Walson if you need net access, clean sheets or doors that work properly.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Russell W
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Firstly don't get intimidated by the location . It is very prime and most of the areas are just walking distance from here . Stayed here only for 2 nights . Did not get a key to my room , believe it or not . I had to call them every time I had to open my door . Which hotel does that. Food was good so was their service but that one incident took all the good things away from a decent hoteln

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed at the Bawa Walson "Spa" hotel for two nights while one a work trip. The rooms are decent with comfortable beds and satellite TV but that's as good as its gets. Although I didn't do much sight seeing by all accounts it's a great location. However, I was placed in a basement room with no privacy when I asked to be moved to a room on a higher level I was fobbed off about the manager being off site. There's no wifi in the room also my air con didn't have a remote control so I couldn't use it. The cleaners, porter and waiters were all quite helpful but the management staff at reception were rude, unhelpful and not even remotely nice. Added the the pain of this stay was the face that their "computer system was down which meant our key cards didn't work. So if we wanted to get into our rooms we had to ask for a porter to use his master key, which is a little unsettling. Don't come to this hotel if you're used to a high standard of service. It's a basic hotel punching way about its weight masquerading as a top quality establishment.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank LeahNYC2013
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My third stay in this hotel. It was good before but this time I was welcomed by "bed bugs". I asked them to clean my room but I still found the dead bodies of bed bugs on top of my bed.No internet facilities during the whole three night stay made my schedule a nightmare. Location is OK. The two ladies at the front desk are the most useless and unwelcoming receptionists I have ever met. They like to keep people waiting and they loved to sarcastically comment something to customers because I caught them in the act of doing it. I hope they will read this and learn something from this review. The room was OK but the carpets were torn and the chair seat covers were also torn and tattered.

2  Thank Sawma
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Great interiors, soothing atmoshphere, good food. Had a great stay in Kolkata courtsey the BAWA team. Very cooperative and friendly staff. AS the location is walking distance from New Market , hence it proved to be blessing in disruise. each member of the family had something or the other to be happy about. the spa was laso very good.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Shubha0001