I traveled on a business trip in the month of June and stayed for 2 nights. I booked this hotel due to its proximity with my proposed meeting places.
Location: Its on Sudder street which is very near to the shopping areas of New market and Part street. The park street metro station is almost at walkable distance. The lane may loo old and bustling with people and cars even up to late night. one can get local taxis even in late hours in the night. The area is mostly frequented by foreign tourists. One can find a lot of cyber cafes and small eating joints nearby.
Room: I stayed in room 202 on first floor. The rooms are small. It was okay for me as i was alone. The room was well appointed with Tea coffee machine and supplies, Water bottles, a Mini fridge with water bottles, soft drinks, juices and chocolate. Some snacks like chips and Namkeen were also kept. The bed and the lined was clean. The bed was comfortable for a descent sleep. The towels were not the cleanest and i got them changed.
The bathroom was also well appointed with soaps, shampoo, moisturizer, shaving and dental kit. The bathroom was clean and the shower area is just sufficient. The room used to get locked every time i came out for some work of eating and i had to call the reception to send a guy to open the room with master key every single time. This may become annoying and lessens the sense of security of the stuff kept in the room as the floor supervisors have the master key to open the room. I found all my luggage safe and not touched by anybody. This category of room may seem small for a family with 1 child.
Service: I found the room service to be descent. The staff at the receptions seem to be clueless many times. I requested for a hotel cab and was told that it is not available as it was Sunday. He suggested that I must try at other cab service providers outside the hotel. So please remember to make your own arrangement and don't depend on this hotel for travel. Also, make prior arrangement for cab, if needed as it would be very difficult to find one in Kolkata on Sundays.
Food: Food was descent. The breakfast had limited but tasty options. One can also ask them for eggs-to-order of your choice. I ordered the dinner in my room and it was brought in descent time. I would have like more quantity on some of the items. It may be because I ordered at 11 PM in night.
The restaurant also present some live music on some evenings. One can check with the hotel directly for the schedule.
Overall: A descent hotel and descent location. The rooms may seem to be small and service is slow. The front desk staff can be more efficient. The food provided is good. Other services are virtually non existent like wi-fi, working travel desk etc.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Walson known as erstwhile Walson Hotel, the newly refurbished Walson Spa o Tel, opened its doors to the indulgence seeking populace on 1st Sept 2010 in the city's central districts such as park street and the new market, make it a sought after location to be in. The vibrance & the exuberance of the city are at an arm's reach as major shopping markets, cinema hall, the Victoria Memorial and underground metro network and famous Hawarah station and corporate sector in Park Street all situated in the vicinity. This makes the hotel an ideal place of convenience and indulgence both for business travelers and tourists. The rooms are equipped with all the modern amenities and are luxuriously furnished o allow the patrons to sink into leisurely & delightful stay experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Walson Spa "O" Tel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bawa Walson Hotel Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Walson Spa "O" Tel India/Kolkata (Calcutta), Asia