“Centrally Located Hotel”
Review of Walson Spa "O" Tel

Walson Spa "O" Tel
Ranked #119 of 219 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Amritsar
“Centrally Located Hotel”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for two nights . The rooms are nice and beautifully but are small . The breakfast is served just outside in hotel gallery and it should have been more lavish .otherwise the stall was helpfull and we had to leave early in the morning . They arranged breakfast for us on time .overall a good experience

Room Tip: Take rooms on higher floor
3 Thank Inderjit_1980

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have stayed here a few times & I agree with a Trent review that the hotel is going from bad to worse.

The rooms are fine & clean but the two biggest disappointments are the restaurant & staff.

The breakfast is below average & ambience of the restaurant is dark & dull.

The service & staff are generally unfriendly & could do with a more welcome greeting...

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Mark A

Travelers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Decent Clean Rooms , Small Toilets , Needs Improvement , Resturant facilities ok , not much selection , half items on menu are not prepared as no chef available , arverage location but not posh location , 3 star hotel ,

2 Thank AzamFazal
viksinghmumbai, Manager at Walson Spa "O" Tel, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Bawa group of Hotels...!

Thank You for posting your response on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your feedback and the comments mentioned.

Thanking You,

Nashik, India
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

This a follow-up review to my earlier review hotel for this hotel. I have since stayed in this hotel 2-3 times during my business trips.

Firstly, the standard rooms in this hotel are extremely tiny. Difficult to move around when I am alone. I am afraid to think how 2 adults manage in the same room. Impossible for families with children to even fit in.

Secondly, the hotel used to be new. But the maintainance is really poor. The lights, washroom amenities etc. are all falling apart. For example the flush in the bathroom was not working.

An even bigger problem is the staff. DO NOT expect anything other than a slow and tedious check-in and check-out. I called the house-keeping, reception and even asked the room service staff to send somebody to repair the flush in the bathroom. Alltogether 5 requests were made, but no one turned up to help me. Finally I checked out the next day, having had to skip using the loo in my own room.

Mine didn't seem to be the only case, as I heard the reception attending to at least 3 calls from different rooms during my 20 mins wait for check-in. The surprising thing was that he receptionist told every caller that he will get somebody to attend to them right away, but simply kept the phone down and continued with his work. Not surprising seeing the service levels.

The room service is really slow. The food is ok, but could be better. The wifi used to be complementary, but has now been shifted to paid basis.

Overall a real disappointment. I will definitely look at different options the next time I am in Kolkata. I will not recommend this hotel to anyone now.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Bawa group of Hotels...!

Thank You for posting your response on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your feedback and will ensure there is drastic improvement in the services.

Look forward to have you with us in the future.

Thanking You,

Jalandhar, India
Reviewed April 9, 2013

First thing you will note that i have rated this property very good, however have wrote excellent in title of review. Will come to this at end of review.

This hotel is located in heart of the city very close to Park Street & still peaceful. I have tried 2 other hotels in the same area but this one bags a 4 star review.
First thing i loved about this place is Food quality. Superb, tasty & top it up with 20% discount. I cant forget their "Chicken Sausage salad" which i loved the most. Like i said, in other 2 hotels i have stayed, food was average. Morning b'fast which was complimentary again good.
Hotel & it's rooms are clean & well furnished. Staff is polite, friendly, smiling. I have not read 2nd last review of Ketoulhou P but customer service is perfectly fine. no complaints what so ever except few delays in service which could be easily ignored.

So why 4 star then? Given the price they are charging, i feel rooms are little smaller in size. I stayed for 4 nights, after a day i found them cute & cozy. 2nd thing which disappointed was there wi-fi service. It was long chaotic procedure to get connected to the network, i gave up and didn;t use. Hope they can make it simpler.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. Rooms on higher floor are quieter.
2 Thank brijeshS
viksinghmumbai, Manager at Walson Spa "O" Tel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank You posting your review on Trip Advisor...!

We appreciate your positive feedback and comments about the property.

We hope to have you as our guest in the future.

Thanking You.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night (20 Dec 2012) as my departing flight from Kolkata was on 21 Dec 2012 (afternoon). We had just reached from Delhi.There were 4 of us (including my senior parents) and we booked 2 double rooms for about Rs. 10,000/- through makemytrip.com We checked in around 1 am on 21, Dec 2012 and were supposed to checkout around 11 a.m. the same day.

As we entered the hotel, even though i had called to confirm my booking, the receptionist could not find my booking and was cursing and swearing as he tried to give me a room and mentioned that the other receptionist who just finished his duty and went home did not properly make the bookings. The foul language of the receptionist was surprising considering the highly extravagant ratings here.

We were given 2 double rooms. Just as i entered my room i noticed that the key card holder had a screw missing and was loose and the room had a strong odor of scent. But the bearers had entered before me as they were carrying my luggage and placed the key card in the holder to switch on the lights before i even entered the room.

Later me and my brother went to my parents room to have the dinner we ordered from room service. But as we went back to our rooms, i found out that we were locked out. So we called the hotel staff to unlock the room. The room was unlocked and he then saw the key card in the loose holder. This was when problem started.

The hotel staff blamed me for breaking the holder and started inquiring as to how it was broken! I had not even touched the key card nor the holder as of now as mentioned earlier. The holder was not even broken and was just slightly loose with a screw missing but he made a mountain out of a mole hole considering it was not even my doing! I went and complained to the manager at the desk but he too accused me and said he would have to complain to the General Manager about it.

In the morning, the hotel staff did not let us checkout of the hotel saying we'd have to pay for the card holder we had never even touched. We would have gladly paid for it if we had done anything wrong considering we were spending Rs. 10,000/- for just a few hours in the hotel to have a peaceful night's sleep and another Rs 80,000/- for the flight tickets we had booked during the holiday rush season. Repairing the card holder would hardly have cost about Rs. 50/- as it just had a screw missing and lights were working perfectly in the room. They even challenged us to call the police for the tiny problem. Later they asked us to apologize for the broken holder if we did not want to pay for it and said that only then we could checkout from the hotel. We refused to do so and this continued for about 20 minutes in front of all other guests in the Hotel. But finally we could leave without paying or apologizing.

As we reached the hotel gate, the taxi drivers outside the hotel started a fight amongst themselves saying one of the taxi drivers did not have the right to take us as we had stopped him and that we should only take one of the taxis parked there. Since when were passengers not allowed to take any taxi they wanted?

In summary, this is the worst hotel i have ever been in. Worst customer service ranging from the lowest to the highest position in the hotel. Don't ever waste your time staying here.

Room Tip: Do not ever stay in this hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Ketoulhou P
Reviewed March 19, 2013

It is off the budget hotels street- Sudder street. Compared to Malaysian hotels, RM210 a night for a single room of a two-star hotel is very expensive. But I guess compared to those in Kolkata, it is probably a standard. The room is compact and clean. The bed is comfortable. However, the sound isolation is poor- as I could still hear the people next door talking at 3am!!
The Wifi works well in the lobby- as I didn't have an Indian phone number, so have to use the one in the lobby. But the breakfast in the restaurant was a huge disappointment, with very little variety- bread, chapati, dahl, braised vegetable and omelette.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo