“A good hotel with minor faults”
Review of Walson Spa "O" Tel

Walson Spa "O" Tel
Ranked #119 of 219 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
“A good hotel with minor faults”
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in an excellent location on Sudder Street with an ATM directly across the street. The rooms are clean and the shower is great- a rarity in India! The housekeeping staff is especially helpful. There are a few minor issues, however- the service in the restaurant is slooow, and I'm fairly certain my friend and I got a one day bout of food poisoning from the redtaurant's salad. Despite this, I'd stay again.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I booked to stay at the Bawa Walson for four nights in early December 2012. I wrote to them two weeks before arriving and they confirmed my reservation.

When I arrived at the hotel - guess what? There was a 'problem'. My friend and I had booked two separate rooms and were told that we should share. We were told that there was an issue with the plumbing and that it didn't matter which of us gave up our room, even though we were told that they were on different sides of the hotel, despite the plumbing issue being with one side of the hotel. Cut to the chase, the hotel's story didn't make sense, or hold up to basic scrutiny. For context, when we visited the cricket was on a Eden Gardens and Calcutta was very busy. Could it have been that the hotel were freeing up rooms to sell at higher charges?

We protested that we had both booked a room and were given separate rooms on the first night. I was then told to leave my room the following day. When I was given a bill, they had made two mistakes: 1) charged me for an extra half day, 2) miscalculated the tax and overcharged by 50%. After much arguing, they corrected the bill.

In the meantime, I found a room at the excellent Fairlawn down the street. As you can imagine, this experience means that I won't be recommending the Bawa Walson to anyone. The manager and receptionist were incompetent and it was a blight on my stay. Regular travellers to India will know that there is always a risk of being scammed, but I didn't expect it to come from an expensive hotel.

In the interest of balance, the hotel is well-positioned on Sudder Street (popular with tourists), is modern and the rooms were fairly clean. The shower was good and breakfast was ok. However, it was very expensive for what it was.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank maneatshouse

Travelers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Location was quite central...food quality was really good... Rooms were spacious but comfertable...bathroom was small but well equipped... The service was prompt... Restaurant was also clean. .Over all, a good stay

• Stayed October 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Overall our stay was pleasant
By Indian standards this hotel is clean and pleasant
The service was average but the location was best... In walking distance to a lot of things especially the markets
The only disappointment was when the doorman put us in a taxi, told us 350 RP only so he could then be handed 50RP by the taxi driver! Even though I'd told him we would only pay what we were told we should pay which was 300 RP

• Stayed December 2012
Belle mead.
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We just stayed three nights in Novemeber, 2012 based on reviews which were extrmely axageratred. Our experience was a night mare for a three a hotel incorrectly rated three and half stars. We think it was like a Dharamshala with untolerable odor in the room. The rooms were damp and very untidy and the linen and towels did not look clean with yellowish color. Hotel managment showed us other rooms which were also not better than others. Outside the window trash is every where with untolerable smell. The outside location is very dirty, smelly and run down that it is impossible to walk on the side walk. The breakfast is like a soup kitchen type with inadequate food and flies are all around ready to join the guest. At night the hotel staff sprays to kill mosquitos which are in abundance all around the hotel and isnide the room. if I knew the reality definitely would not have booked this hotel even free of cost.

Room Tip: Rooms are damp and full of odor wuith smelly linen and smelly towels. Mosquiotos and flies are all a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank johnny76Bellemead_
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

For someone who has worked in the travel industry for many years and has stayed in low grade hotels right through to some of the finest properties in the world, this joke of a hotel has to have been the worst I have ever stayed in.

To sum up... I was told that there were no twin rooms available having had a twin confirmed directly by the hotel. 3 different couples checked in after us on the same day and all received twins, all having to call their travel agent who in-turn threatened to cancel their contract with the hotel unless their guests received twin rooms.

We decided to try the hotels's restaurant on our 3rd night, both ordered local and international cuisine if you can call it that.
Both of us were sick all night along with diarrhoea for 2 days down to their food. We had eaten all over Calcutta the majority along Park Street and even the Oberoi which was superb.

To top it all off we were both bitten badly on our backs with over 25 bites each from BED BUGS.

This place is not fit to operate and please avoid at all costs.

I would be interested to see the hotel's reply if they are capable.

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank Gowly
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is one of the Best maintained 3* Property I have come across in recent times in terms of Cleanliness, Staff Courtesy, Location Buffet Breakfast all was simply Superb.

I had stayed there from 22nd Nov - 26th Nov on Occasion of a family weeding.

Booked the Hotel on Makemytrip was a bit apprehensive of the Location and quality, however was delighted by the sight of the hotel. Excellent Street food and Nearby New market for all you shopping needs. I would surely recommend this hotel to every one visiting city of Joy.

Very decent place to stay for first time city traveler Will give points 10/10

Only - ve would be the Room Size it would have been better if a bit more spacious. I stayed in a Super Deluxe Room the Room size were a bit small and cramped.

Room Tip: Go for the Road facing Rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Siddhartha M
HOST31, Director of Sales at Walson Spa "O" Tel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Hotel Bawa Waslon

Thank You very much for your positive feedback on Trip Advisor.

looking forward to serve you again

Regards