“Good Experience”
Review of Hotel Oriental

Hotel Oriental
Ranked #162 of 221 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Good Experience”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Where on earth you wold find such a nice pace at such affordable prices. Felt not only comfortable but homely. Would love to visit again. Kudos to the staff who have really helped me during my stay. Worth the money's buy.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sajid-Kolkata

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Mumbai
Reviewed February 22, 2012

A very cozy well located neat & clean hotel with a surprisingly well mannered & helpful staff... My 2 day stay was worth it (value for my money)... Would recommend it positively... thanks

Room Tip: Double Deluxe AC
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank G K
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I paid in advance, and had an e-mail correspondence with staff to confirm that I would be able to check in when my (3am) plane arrived; however, when I got there the doors were locked and barred. I was forced to find (expensive) lodging elsewhere.

Not worth the money, not worth the hassle, and I would never place my trust here again!

Room Tip: there are plenty of other hotels in the area - go elsewhere.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank anowl

Travelers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

Phang Nga, Thailand
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I thought I did a reasonable job checking out all the reviews about this establishment. Every other Hotel I stayed at in India gave great value for money. I was aware Calcutta can be more expensive than even Delhi, but at around 1000 INR a night, I recommend paying more to stay somewhere else!! I found the staff arrogant and certainly was not offered being shown any other rooms. The bathroom was quite frankly disgusting, what did work leaked, and forget the nice hot shower, judging by the waterpipes to the shower, there has not been a hot shower in the room I stayed for many years. I cannot recommend this place at all - by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank james u
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Having read some decent reviews the only real benefit was the location, that is if you want honking horns and noisy nights. Room had dirt on floors, shower did not work, taps trickled, paper thin walls and very noisy. Overall hotel is not well maintained and would not recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bellethorpe
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 26, 2011

We checked this place out after seeing the reviews in tripadvisor as nothing in the budget section of the lonely planet sounded good to us. The staff were really helpful, they let us see about 5 different rooms before we chose one. The next day our AC wasn't working and so we were moved to an even better room. With hot water and AC 950rupees was a steal. Located only a short walk away from the main street (Park St) and even shorter to the metro it was a great find. The rooms are basic but clean!

We are travelling India for 3 months and were keen to get our own mobile broadband four our laptop, the manager was really helpful as we needed certain paperwork from them to get the internet. We would recommended Hotel Oriental to everyone. When you walk out from the hotel onto Marquis Street on the left only a shop or two down was a great Bengali breakfast place with yummy chicken, split yellow peas and poratas for breakfast!

Room Tip: The further back from the main road the quieter the rooms. We stayed on the first floor near the rea...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emma C
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Was here for Christmas 2010,
Checked in to an adequate, bright and tidy room sort of resembling a beat up college dorm. Kind of backed into an alley adjoining middle class flats in the same building. Forget the accoutrement categories of most hotels as this hotel falls kind of short. Making up for a lack of comfort are an amazing happy and helpful staff, hot water (albeit by the bucket) and a location that made this Canadian's Christmas! This was an amazing place to meet people, wander from (the central location is unbeatable) and EAT! The food in this area was nothing if not authentic and well put together...which sadly is more than I can say for most of the buildings the restaurants were in. Enjoy some time hanging out with the workers on the roof if you can.
Would come back.
Derek

Room Tip: Get one with a window...yes you heard me right.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple