Shangrila Regency
Priceline
Hotel Ivy Castle(Darjeeling)
$27
  • Restaurant
Singtom Tea Estate & Resort(Darjeeling)
$89
TripAdvisor
Windamere Hotel(Darjeeling)
$199
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsattic roomrestaurant locatedmr ranjantop floorrooftop restaurantno liftthe hotel staffcomplimentary breakfastroom servicealoo parathawalking distancegandhi roadbagdogra airporthot waterdining hallmemorable staybeautiful view
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We used to go to Darjeeling for week end leisure and this time we managed to get a booking in this hotel. The hotel is located in a convenient location on Gandhi road, few minutes’ walk from the Mall. The attic room (502) offers spectacular view of Kanchendzongha. We knew that there is no lift to reach the 4th floor room. Crisp linens, good quality pillows but the saddle shape bed was not comfortable for a good sleep. We found a filthy smell in the room, even after the staffs sprayed room freshener few times. Though not equipped with all the amenities (good quality soap or shampoo) that one may need, the bathroom is designed well . It takes about 15 minutes to get hot water after you switch on the geyser. Probably, wall between attic rooms are thin, we could hear people talking in the next room. Staffs are very helpful, the cleanliness of the hotel to be much admired. But the best thing in the hotel that we enjoyed is the breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Though we were at this hotel during extremely cold days, their wonderful hospitality made our stay a very pleasant and comfortable one. Any request or requirement were met to within minutes. Also since it was an off-season and their Indian cook was on leave, they arranged for food from outside. Overall very good experience. Especially thanks to our room boy Mr. Suniel. His service was exceptional. Ours was room no: 302.
Also for your travel requirements, you may contact Mr. Pappu- 09832936051. He's been a very genuine and co-operative driver throughout.

Room Tip: Prefer rooms with Kanchenjunga view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This is a comfortable and spotless high end hotel. However, while it met expectations it did not exceed them.

Perhaps my slightly muted praise for it is down to my flawless experience with other luxury hotels in Darljeeling, but I have to say that while the place is clean and the rooms well-appointed, I found the overall delivery of service a little lacking. Food often arrived late, the heating was somewhat erratic and our bathroom was not quite of the high standard I'd expect, in terms of the layout.

However, overall this is a good hotel. It is just not quite excellent.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was aware of this particular hotel's sister hotel with similar name which is much closer to Chowrasta. However, after reading reviews about this hotel, I decided to book a family suite for 2 nights. The room was good, clean and well maintained. The only minor negative for me was that our suite was on the 3rd floor, there was no lift at the property. This is something that those with medical conditions might like to consider when booking this hotel.

The staff were all very pleasant and courteous and helpful, from the managers, Ongmu and Nima, to the other staff. I will, however, have to mention Samuel for praise, as he was very polite and nothing was to much or to little for him, he is a real credit to the hotel. Samuel and another young man, whose name I forget, helped us carry our luggage to and from our suite.

One thing that really struck me was that how these young people never even let me feel like I had to tip them, unlike other hotels and service in, for example, Delhi. They performed their task as thought it was their duty and not because they expected some monetary reward, well done, you make me real proud to be a fellow bideshi Darjeelingey.

Ranjan bhai - your staff are a real credit to you, I hope you will take good care of them.

The one negative aspect of staying at this place was that our sleep was disturbed by the incessant barking of dogs all night.

I will mention one BIG bad experience connected to but not direct responsibility of Shangri La Regency to warn future travelers. The owner, Ranjan Lama kindly directed me to Darjeeling Taxis for my transport needs during our stay in Darjeeling. This company is run by a Gailly Phuntsok who also seems to own and run the Snow Lion Hotel, although Ranjan Lama's name is also on their 'Contact us' page.

I paid 50% deposit to Mr Gailly Phuntsok for pick up from the airport on day of arrival, trip to Tiger Hill and tour of Darjeeling places of interest and drop off at Gangtok, Sikkim. Mr Phuntsok told me that his driver would meet and greet us at the airport with our name displayed on a placard so we could identify him. Upon our arrival at the airport, to my great disappointment, there was no one from Darjeeling Taxis waiting for us as I had been led to believe.

Fortunately, my 'brother' was there to meet us at the airport as I was delivering some important documents to him from his wife. He had come in a big vehicle, which he kindly arranged to take us to the hotel in Darjeeling. My brother made several attempts to contact Mr Phuntsok on his mobile but was unsuccessful because his mobile was switched off. Although, I was let down by a taxi company in Delhi (I expected this to be the norm in India), however, I felt bitterly let down and greatly by my own people, which in my book is an unforgivable offence.

My advice to all those travelers looking to book transport in Darjeeling, avoid Darjeeling Taxis like the plague. My request to Ranjan Lama bhai is never advise anyone to book their transport with Gailly Phuntsok and his company if you wish to keep your reputation unblemished.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Swaroop C
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed with my family for 3N & 3D here in Oct 2012. Most remarkable thing about this hotel is: it is extraordinarily neat, clean and cozy. Almost spotless.

I stayed in one of the 3 attic rooms. R/n 501, to be precise. 501 and 502 have good views of the Kanchenjunga range; 503 doesn't. 502 has the best view. I wonder if rooms in the floors below have any views of the range at all. But the restaurant on floor 4, has good views too. You can be in the restaurant early morning to catch glimpses of the sunrise.

SR doesn't serve meals, but you can order for snacks which the attendants will take good care to prepare and serve at the restaurant. Meals can be enjoyed at restaurants which are about a 7-8 minutes walk.The attendants and the hotel team were very courteous. The breakfast fare was incredibly sumptuous.

For anyone who has a problem to climb stairs, the attic rooms and restaurants are not going to be too attractive though. NO elevators. In fact, you will not find an elevator fitted in any hotel in Darjeeling.

I wish the street outside the hotel was cleaner. Really messy! In fact, the location of this hotel is not that great. Not in the quieter locales of Darjeeling. In fact, very noisy at night and early morning.

SR is not v close to the mall. Not that the mall is a great place in Darjeeling anyway, anymore. The quieter location of Darjeeling from where you can enjoy an uncut view of the range (Raj Bhavan area) is about kilometer's walk down and (mostly) up.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family