“Not advisable”
Review of Seven Seventeen

Seven Seventeen
Ranked #16 of 100 Hotels in Darjeeling
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Firstly, the locality of the hotel is pathetic to say the least. It is a very crowded area and a narrow road. Half of the road is occupied by parked vehicles and it is very difficult to drive.

They gave us a room in 5th floor without any lift. The room was very small. The only good thing was that the hills were a beatiful view from the room. Lift issue is understandable given the power situation in Darjeeling.

They promised that hot water will be available from 7 AM to 10 AM. But the problem is water was never hot. Normal water felt like ice and hot water is similar to normal water in Chennai. In that climate and without hot water it was very difficult.

They never gave towels till the end.

Next comes the breakfast. While we felt happy that they had continental, north Indian as well as South Indian food in breakfast, our happiness was shortlived when we tasted. My request is, kindly do not serve south Indian food if you dont know how to make it. Idly was ok but upma, sambar and chutney were horrible. We had to live on breads. Tea was ok. We didnt have courage to try coffee even once.

I realise that there are some operational difficulties in Darjeeling but some of the issues can be easily sorted out if the management has to the willingness to serve the guests for the money they get.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have a good view of the hills but you should be prepared to climb up stairs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vignesh S
105717, Owner at Seven Seventeen, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Sir,

Well to be frank . It is high time I should be blunt.

I am the owner of Hotel Seven Seventeen and have been running the hotel for the last 21 years
before that I had worked in many 5 star hotel in Delhi and in Amritsar retiring as Food & Beverage Manager .
my whole family , my brother , my wife, and my sister in law all look after its day to day running of the hotel ,as this is our bread and butter. and we understand what bread and butter means to us. A Bad comment will hurt our reputation as a result we always try to please our guest and make them comfortable as possible. but sometimes like electricity and water problem
in Darjeeling makes everything go haywire and as a result hard to please a guest

We are so sorry for you did like the breakfast ,south indian breakfast which we had served
perhaps it was not up to you taste.

inconvenience is highly regretted and suggestion will be looked into

Jigme

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Checked in for 3 nights - checked out after 1.
Rooms are damp, bedding is damp, carpets unvacuumed and dirty, dead insects on the window shelf, bathroom is basic and very old fittings.
Hot water limited to a couple of hours in the morning and evening - though the water doesn't get very hot.
Towels and bedding are stained.
Bedding is very damp - I had to request a separate sheet and sleep on top of the bed as it was too uncomfortably damp to get in. Other hotels in the area had dry beds so their excuse re the weather is not valid.
WIFI is only available in reception - and you are not allowed to use skype, face time or any video calling apps. Reception do not openly tell you this but there is a small sign....somewhere!

Staff ignored my questions, shouted at me when I was using face time (unaware of the rule) - when I approached the manager re the behaviour of his staff - he was not even bothered!

At about 10pm I decided I would check out as I didnt want to stay after the incident with the memeber of staff that shouted at me. I called down to reception and was unable to check out as there wasnt anyone available to take payment.

Strange hotel - very big and I feel the manager just cares about getting as many guests as possible rather than the quality of the guest experience.

Avoid it at all costs!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Annaher
Jimmy D, Owner at Seven Seventeen, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

I would like to make a few comments on this review as the report in totally untrue.
Just beside the main door we have a very flashy sign and right on the bottom it says Free WI Fi but no Skype or any Voice mail/transfers.The lady was using face time and when our staff POLITELY asked her to kindly disconnect it and it was not allowed she continued to do so. off and on throughout the afternoon.. She had checked in around 12 noon.
In the evening around 8.30 pm when she again started using facetime again mu staff requested her again not to do so.Even after many requests she did not stop so my staff disconnected the wi fi. Then she started to use foul language and started abusing my staff. I was in my office and hearing the commotion I went to meet her. She complained that she was not allowed to use face time . I showed her the notice board and told her that Wifi was free but we do not allow video/skype or voice mail. She started using foul language and started making other complaints such as the room was damp, linen was not clean etc.and she would check out and not pay. Though she had occupied the room for more than 7 hours and there had been no complaints. She was just making an excuse. The room which was provided is room No 502 which is all wooden panelled , with big bay windows which provides a lot of sun and so the question of dampness does not arise at all. As for the hot water this particular room has a separate geyser installed and provides 24 hrs hot water. All allegations are totally false and baseless. As the hotel is family run and we try our best to provide clean linen, homely atmosphere, good quality food and always try to please our guests but some are just impossible. Upon threat of going to the authorities if she checked out without paying she simmered down and said she would check out the next morning, which she did.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

At affordable rates the place is very beautiful to stay and dine. They do not even require pre-booking. On instant booking we found a great staying place. They supply heaters in damn cool winters. There is a beautiful shop with local crafts. The staff was very warm natured and friendly. They helped us getting a good cab for sightseeing. The place has also been visited by many film stars. The photographs of their visits had been put up on the office walls of the hotel. The hotel boasts of great location, ambience and all necessary amenities available. The hotel shop contains winter clothes at affordable rates along with other craft items. Great place to visit. Also the hotel is located in the Lama road which is at the heart of the Darjeeling Bazaar, which is a very good point. All necessary things are very easily available for day to day use. 24 hrs hot water along with bath tub facilities are available at the hotel. As the hotel is located at the market place, the issues of security is not there. Also local vehicles for visiting Tiger hills are available nearby itself, even at 4 am in the morning. Hence I would congratulate the hotel staff for their good work and woul love to visit there again.

Room Tip: Get to the Suite room for best experience....
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RevathiPankaj
Reviewed July 31, 2013

i stayed here in may hotel is nice would like to stay whenever i visit darjeeling staff is very helpful location is ok but only problem is parking space as it is everywhere in darjeeling but need to clean rooms properly price and food is good enough as compared to others nearby hotels

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank sagarmathatravels
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I booked a room in this hotel through MakeMyTrip. The rooms shown on their web site differs starkly with their actual rooms. I have posted photographs at http://www.parthicle.blogspot.in
The hotel was so dirty, the carpet must never have been cleaned since the hotel was established; the toilets were so dirty that my children refused to enter it.
We immediately asked for a different room; the hotel refused a change of room.
We called makemytrip, and the call was taken, our complaint recorded with promise to call us back with a solution and then they never did.
Moreover when we booked, we were charged Rs. 5615 for two nights; when the actual tariff at the hotel is Rs.3600 for two nights.
When I made a claim at makemytrip for refund, a gentleman named Saumil Trivedi of MakeMyTrip wrote to me saying that we don't get the refund because the hotel refused to refund!!!
I followed this up with higher officers of makemytrip; finally they agreed to refund Rs.1500, but almost two months late, I am yet to get this refund.
Similarly, I had very bad experience with the restaurant in the hotel.
The service was pathetic. I ordered chicken and rotis; how many rotis do you want? asked the waiter. We ordered two each. When he served, we found the rotis were really tiny.
We called the waiter again and ordered two more rotis each; the waiter retorted "pehle bolna chahiye na?" very rudely.
I said, how am I to know they would be so small? He sulkily left and got us more rotis!
My advise: avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank vincesGoa
hotel717, Manager at Seven Seventeen, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Sir,

First of all I would like to apologise for the rude behavoiur of my staff against which disciplinary action will be taken .

Regarding the rooms we would like to inform you that you stay was in Heritage Seven Seventeen and not Hotel Seven Seventeen as makemytrip had booked .

We could not entertain your request for change in rooms as we did not have any vacant rooms

Had we any we would have definitely entertained your request.

We are so sorry for the inconveneince which you had to face . Your suggestion are always welcome asd a result we have decided to do away with the carpets and also renovate the toliets as well.

Next time you plan to visit Darjeeling please visit us and see the change in amenities and facilites .

inconveneicne is hihgly regretted

for Seven Seventeen Grp of Hotels

Jigme D.Bhutia

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We visited this hotel this june. First thing to note was its small distance from shared taxi stand - just some 5 minutes walk (stairs + road). We had spent quite a lot of time wandering through Darjeeling and comparing with other budget options in the area, but most of them were just way too far for a backpack-equipped traveller (15 minutes and more on the steep roads of the city gets you into shape).

First impression we got after we were introduced to our room was clear and loud "WOW". Our room was simply the best we have seen after 2 weeks travelling through India. The view of the city itself was perfect. Even the usual never-ending traffic horn-blowing battles were coming through quieter from a distance, considering the main road was quite nearby. We immediately fell in love with this hotel. We have booked just two nights, but we decided to prolong our booking for 2 days more and it was well worth it, the staff even made a better price offer for us for those extra nights!

Second morning we had we woke up early by the singing of the morning prayer and we could not believe the sight we had over the Himalayas (and the 3rd highest mountain in the world). It was breathtaking experience and with a comfort of having this just few steps out of your bed is amazing.

The restaurant was great and the other morning we've found out we had a complimentary breakfast when we tried to pay for our pancakes and tea! We had one more dinner in this place with some Tibetan food and it was great (price and quality-wise).

The last day we stayed the owner of the hotel invited us for a tea, unfortunately we had to leave earlier (which I still regret !!!).

Reading comments here about the quality of the service: Our room was never tidied as well as the trash was never taken out. But that was a no biggie with all the advantages of the hotel.

Overall I would recommend this to anyone - just ask for a room facing the city.

Room Tip: Go for a 5th floor room (we had the double room with perfect view over Himalayas and sunlight waking...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Zmetak
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The hotel is in the centre of the town, with the mall road and chowrastha at a walking distance (if u dont mind a brisk climb!!). the interior design is tibetan which looks different and pleasing. The room was small but the bath room is good enough. hot water is available only for 3 hours in the morning in 3 hours in evening, but that was good enough considering the water scarcity in the town. Service staff are polite. Wifi available at the lobby alone but is pretty fast!!! The restaurant at the ground floor was good. Overall, good for the price.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
3  Thank Balasubramanian S
hotel717, Owner at Seven Seventeen, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Sir,

We are very happy to note that you enjoyed staying with us and also giving frank opinion about our hotel which we really appreciate.

Hope that you will give us an opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Jigme