“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #17 of 98 Hotels in Darjeeling
Toowoomba, Australia
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

After a long day travelling from Calcutta we (2 adult couples in their 60s) arrived to a very warm welcome from both owners and staff. It was so nice to see how well maintained and comfortable our rooms were. We stayed for 6 nights and by the time we left after a very enjoyable stay we were quite sad to depart. The owners obviously have great pride in their establishment offering clean and comfortable accommodation and really good food. All staff were very helpful. We could not have wished for a better place to stay in Darjeeling. The location was great. Our rooms looked out over the markets and the beautiful mountains in the distance. Close to shops and a short (although a bit of an uphill walk) to the Mall Road and scenic lookout (away from the hustle and bustle and tooting horns) where we spent quite a few hours looking at the mountains and generally people watching. We would recommend this hotel to travellers. Thank you Jimmy, Tshering, Yashi and Teshi for making our stay in Darjeeling a time to remember.

Room Tip: All rooms of a similar standard. As this hotel is five stories if you don't like walking up sta...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Margaret255340

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Polish first
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I recently stayed at the Seven Seventeen hotel in Darjeeling, a very clean and delightful hotel beautifully decorated in the Tibetan style. The owners are two Tibetan couples who take a real pride in offering the very best in hospitably and food. There are hundreds of hotels in Darjeeling often making it difficult for new or returning visitors to choose one. However, look no further, Seven Seventeen is great place to stay, centrally situated in the town and is great value for money. Having made many many visits to Darjeeling over 25 years this hotel gets my top recommendation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank John_Casson
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Most of the reviews are written by Indian people who have a far lower expections than Westerners.
A popular guide book says this hotel is a friendly Tibetan themed place on the edge of the bazaar with a good restaurant & clean fresh bedrooms.
In reality it is a 5 story buiding on a narrow back street with many small shops on both sides of the road were cars & vans can only get so far down the road but motor bikes are able to come & go as they please both tooting there horns at all times of the day & night & along with the many stray dogs who have a habbit of barking incessantly often late at night which will disturb your night if you want to go to sleep before 11pm. All very annoying.
The hotel staff have reasonable English but not great, but are as helpfull as much as possible.
The restaurant is just ok but not great, its ok if you dont wont to go out looking for something better.
The bedrooms are not heated but you can rent a heater for R200 per night which you will definatly need. Tip you could buy one from down the road for R400 & if you plan to stay here for a few days it might work out in your favour.
The beds are very hard & the lighting is very poor to read by.
However if you are looking for a budjet end of hotels this would probably fit as it is very reasonably priced at R1200 per night given you can spend considerably more.
Generally the place is ok, so long as you are not expecting western standards.

Room Tip: There are less noisey rooms but the tent to be smaller
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank simon m
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 27, 2012

From the moment we checked in to this hotel, we were treated as honored guests. Upon check in, we met one of the owners, Jimmy. Later we also met his wife, Tshering and his brother and sister-in-law, Yashi and Teshi. This wonderful Tibetan family takes a personal interest in the comfort and satisfaction of their guests and ensure a well run establishment. We had room 212, which was a bright and airy corner room with huge windows and a lovely view of a garden and roof top patio and the mountains beyond. I am a flatlander and get very cold at night at this elevation (I think somewhere around 7000 ft,) so I was provided with an electric space heater and an extra blanket. Each night, our room attendant, Mohan, also brought me a hot water bottle to warm up the bedding. What a delight! We had very hot water in the morning and then again about 6 pm to 9pm (I’m not exactly sure of the time.) The bed was comfortable and the room was large and very clean, as was the bathroom. We were centrally located and were able to walk to all the tourist sites and the markets, bazaar, Chow Rasta and the Mall. I have posted photos with this review.

The hotel building is full of beautiful Tibetan decorations. The walls and ceilings are painted in typical Tibetan style. On each of the stairwells were glass-enclosed displays of typical Tibetan clothing and instruments, art, and other articles. There is true pride of ownership here. The family not only owns and operates the business, they designed and built the building! I can certainly see why they have been named a Trip Advisor award winner for 2012.

We were treated to delicious breakfasts each morning as part of our B & B rate. We also ate several dinners and a lunch in the restaurant. My husband says the Chicken Tikka Masala was his all time favorite and he ordered it on 3 separate occasions. OK, OK, I loved it, too, but I also tried some of the Tibetan soups and the chicken momos and I was delighted.

The family also operates an annexe (I think they call it the Heritage Hotel Seven Seventeen) which has somewhere between 20 and 30 additional rooms. And even better, they are in the process of building another hotel, "Little Tibet" that will be a totally Tibetan theme from the building and decorations to the food and to the staff clothing. We had a wonderful opportunity to see the almost completed construction. It is going to be stunning. It will be opening in February 2013. I guess we will just have to come back again.

I highly recommend this hotel and I commend the owners for a professionally run, charming and welcoming establishment. I also recommend making a booking early because the hotels are deservedly popular.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MissKimBliss
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Since we hadn't had much time for planning, we decided to find hotels after reaching Darjeeling. We were recommended The Hotel Seven Seventeen by an acquaintance. This place is in a great location, walking distance from the Mall, the taxi stands and supermarket. The first night, the hotel was full. But the manager booked us in a suite at their sister hotel, the older Heritage Seven seventeen (the second building to the right of the new hotel). We got a good discount, better than the lowest online price!

The rooms at the Heritage Seven Seventeen are very old, damp and musty and the bathrooms sorely need refurbishing. The room was spacious with an attached lounge. The staff were very helpful and courteous. But the whole place was so shabby and depressing.

For the next 2 nights, we shifted to the newer Hotel Seven Seventeen. This is a fairly new building with very clean rooms. We took a double room on the fifth floor from which the views of the Kanchenjunga mountain were fabulous! The decorations in both the hotels are in unique Tibetan style. There's a lovely lounge in the fourth floor with a lot of cultural artefacts and books on display. There have a very good laundry service. There is a good travel desk, but I recommend that you hire taxis at the taxi stand for sightseeing (you will save more than 50%!).

We didn't eat at the multicuisine Hotel Seven Seventeen restaurant for breakfast. But on Diwali night, all the hotels in Darjeeling were closed around 7.30 pm and so we ordered dinner here. The food is pretty decent and worth the money. The service was excellent.

I would not rate the the older Heritage Seven Seventeen highly (strictly for showering and sleeping only). But I would definitely recommend staying at the new Hotel Seven Seventeen.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the 4th or 5th floors with views of the Kanchenjunga mountains.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2pence_worth
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I'll start with the good point - the Seven Seventeen's restaurant. Actually the restaurant is more than good, it's excellent. I stayed here 3 nights and each morning there was a different Indian offering at the buffet for breakfast and each morning the food was sensational. I also ate here for dinner twice - the momos were so yummy served with a fantastic sauce and the curry was all spicy goodness. So even if you stay some where else I would recommend dining at the restaurant.

Unfortunately, the room was awful and if it wasn't already paid for I would have moved else where. I should be clear I was staying in the Seven Seventeen Heritage and it may be different staying in the main part of the hotel. But the room I was in had an awful musty/mouldy smell and was constantly damp and cold - thankfully it wasn't the height of winter!!

The staff ended up being fine but it did not start well. After a 30 hour journey punctuated by an 8+ hour train delay and very limited opportunities for food, I ended up in an argument with staff resulting from my travel agent in Delhi's incompetence. Despite confirming my hotel arrangements with my travel agent the day before, the hotel did not have my booking and rather than work with me to get to the bottom of it - the man on reception essentially called me a liar and told me I was wrong. The man on reception would not listen to my explanation and seemingly just wanted to kick me out of the hotel - never good to do this to a woman who has not eaten a proper meal (actually I'd only consumed a packet of chips and small packet of biscuits) in over 35 hours. When I eventually got him to ring my travel agent and my travel agent went over his head - during which time I managed to get him to allow me to at least dine in the restaurant (which as I said was excellent) - it was all sorted out. But it wasn't a good start - and this is probably part of the reason why I didn't complain about the damp, musty room - I was exhausted and had no energy left to complain.

Room Tip: If they direct you to the heritage part of the Seven Seventeen, stay somewhere else and just come he...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Pune, India
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed in the hotel along with a lot of relatives in Nov 2012. The Hotel is located close to the center of Darjeeling and has easy access to the Mall, The commercial center and is about a 15 minutes walk from the Darjeeling Railway station. The Hotel has a nice boutique interior look and the hotel is managed by a family that stays on the premises. The owner is very courteous and makes it a point to interact with his guests.

The Buffet spread is average but typically of good quality. Your experience and review will depend to a extent on the room you stay in. Room 306 or the once facing the inside street don't offer a great view. In fact looking out of the window is best avoidable since you encounter a dilapidated structure across the room as well as a garbage dump. The other downside of the room is that it is very poorly lit.

The only reason I will rate this as average and not poor are its interior, the owner who manages the property and its location.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family