“A Date with KANCHENJUNGA.”

Sinclairs Darjeeling
Ranked #11 of 99 Hotels in Darjeeling
Reviewed April 5, 2010

The hotel room of Sinclairs Darjeeling offers a magnificient view from the windows. Each room was different with subtle tasteful colours to showcase the design elements that surrounded royalty of yore. The room was quiet elegant with an air of serenity in it. The mountain kept us company & play hide & seek with clouds as you seat yourself to have a lavish meal prepared by master chefs at the Kanchenjunga Restaurant. The culinary artistry and attentive service make dining here an unforgettable experience because a way to man’s heart is through his stomach only.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank luke6

Reviewed March 30, 2010

POSITIVES about Hotel Sinclairs: The Hotel is centrally located being just a 5 - 10 minutes walk to the Mall Road. It has a lot of space with a large reception and lobby and big rooms as well as wide corridors. The hot running shower for bath was great. Being at a height, the location of the hotel provides a good panaromic view of the Kanchenjunga Range. They have built a small outdoor seating area from where you can admire the view. There are also nice small gardens with flowers which some of the rooms have a view of. The food quality was excellent (buffet dinner & breakfast) and the service inside the restaurant was great as well. Bed Tea was served early as per our request and the repeat order was quickly serviced as well. NEGATIVES about Hotel Sinclairs: there was old furniture in the rooms and the bed sheets, quilts and towels seemed really old and looked unwashed. The wooden floor inside the room made noises of all kinds while walking. The Kanchenjunga Range could not be viewed from the room we stayed in.The setting inside the restaurant is old and the atmosphere was dark & dingy. The sofas at the reception were in a bad shape and the waiters were mostly not in uniform and would walk into the room

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dr_reddy
Sudhakaran, Manager - Sales at Sinclairs Darjeeling, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2011

Dear Sir,

Thank you for visiting Hotel Sinclairs Darjeeling and taking the time out to review us on Tripadvisor.

It is indeed our pleasure to know that you appreciated our hotel in many ways. However we would like to sincerely apologise for the inconveniences caused, all of which you have stated in your feedback.

We are taking these comments seriously and are always upgrading/renovating our facilities to keep guests happy and satisfied. Keeping customers happy is one of our primary concerns.

Please give us the chance to serve you again. We look forward to welcoming you with our signature grace, warmth and care.

Warm regards.

Reviewed January 22, 2010

nice views of the mountains, food is terrible, service is average

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank johnysood
Sudhakaran, Manager - Sales at Sinclairs Darjeeling, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2011

Dear Sir,

On behalf of Sinclairs, please accept my apology for your unpleasant stay at the Hotel Sinclairs Darjeeling. We strive to ensure our patrons experience the best visits possible during their travels and we fell short of our goal this time.

We hope you will see the improvement and enjoy your time with us in your next visit. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or comments concerning your stay.

While we apologize for the inconvenience caused, we solicit your support and request you to continue to patronize our services in future.

Assuring you of our best attention, always.

Thank you.

Reviewed January 1, 2010

Disclaimer: I am writing this review from my personal experience. But I think those who stayed in Sinclairs Darjeeling would share the same view.
I and my wife checked in at about 5 PM on 10/12/09

after a long train journey from Kolkata to Darjeeling. The first thing in my mind was to take a good shower with warm water. But to my surprise water from the hot-water tap was ice-chilling. I called up the room service and they assured me within 10 minutes hot water will start coming from the tap as it takes time for the geyser to start working.
I waited for 1 hour but in vain. Finally I asked the room service for a bucket of warm water. The only problem in bathing with a bucket of warm water was that even after paying Rs3420/ day for this room I was not provided with 24 hour hot water. I mean in a hill station where temperatures are down below 5 one of the most essential thing is 24 hour running hot water. I could have stayed at hotels that charged me Rs900/day and provide warm waters in buckets when you need it.
But at Rs3420/day I expected hot water 24 hour a day.
The problem wasn’t resolved that day and the manager asked me to change the room as there was some problem with the geyser connected with that room. I was too tired to change the room that day and decided to do it the next day. Next day after changing the room I faced the same problem and they had to provide hot water in buckets again.
Well even after repeated complaints they were unable to rectify the problem and I was forced to ask for hot water everyday I needed to bathe.
It took at least 3-4 calls from my side to reach the reception desk . The desk was as lazy as it could be, including their manager.
The food charges were exorbitant to say the least for average quality food like that. Even the clothes on tables weren’t changed and were dotted with leftover food. It came as no surprise to me to see cockroaches on the table.
It was an average room with wooden flooring, but it was impossible to walk on the floor without slippers. They should use carpet in the floor, even in cheap hotels use carpets in Darjeeling. Above all they didn’t provided any slipper.
I wouldn’t recommend anyone to go for Sinclairs Darjeeling. I don’t know about other Sinclair group of hotels but I won’t make the mistake of choosing any other Sinclairs hotel in future.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AnandBasu
Sudhakaran, Manager - Sales at Sinclairs Darjeeling, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Hotel Sinclairs Darjeeling. We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow us to express our sincerest apologies.

At Sinclairs, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future, with our signature grace, warmth and care.

Have a good day.

Reviewed November 16, 2009

I visited Darjeeling in Feb’07 & stayed for nearly 3 days. Since I was planning for my honeymoon trip so I had following expectations from the hotel: hassle free, classy & yet not too heavy on pocket :)

I must say that Sinclairs didn’t disappoint me at all. They took care of everything, right from a pickup from Siliguri railway station to dropping us to their resort at Dooars (Chalsa). This included taxi arrangements for local sightseeing.

The staff was very decent & looked keen to make our stay pleasant, instead of just "doing their duty".

The mountain view from the hotel room was astonishing (Sinclairs Darjeeling offer two kinds of room, rooms with mountain view & without mountain view).

Housekeeping was also upto the mark; the bedsheets etc. were changed daily; breakfast served in our room was excellent & washrooms were pretty clean.

I must mention that I found Sinclairs Chalsa to be equally good except that they don’t have any mountain for a view :)

I would highly recommend this Sinclairs chain of hotels.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank anandmohans
Reviewed November 15, 2009

We just got back last month from Darjeeling and Gangktok, particularly enjoyed the stay in the hotel. Service was excellent and the staff was fantastic and very helpful for any help we needed. I found them honest too!
Ambience was out of the world, felt i m staying in one of those tibetans hotels.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ashiaana
Reviewed June 27, 2009

Stayed for three days in this wonderful hotel. Fortunately, we had clear mornings and the view of the Kanchenjunga out of my window was simply unbelievable. Its worth staying in the hotel just for the view. They also have delicious food (the best in Darjeeling), very clean rooms and friendly staff. The location is great too, a few minutes walk to the Mall.

We had a lovely holiday and enjoyed our stay at this quaint hotel in Darjeeling. The hotel could do with a gym and some recreational facilities.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple