“Thumbs up to Sinclairs!!!!!!”

Sinclairs Darjeeling
Ranked #13 of 98 Hotels in Darjeeling
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Wow! It was amazing experience to visit Sinclairs.......Food was yum...n nice ambiance...Sinclairs add romance n nice memories to my honeymoon trip....n nice view from balcony... Excellent wooden work....
Thanks

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Girish A
GM_Darjeeling, General Manager at Sinclairs Darjeeling, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review. It gives me immense pleasure to note that you liked our hotel and services, and you and your wife had a memorable time.

It’s exciting to receive such motivating comments from you as we take pride in delivering best services and food. Your post has been shared with our team.

We hope to welcome you back once again. Please join us on Facebook and Twitter to keep updated with our offers and promotions.

There are newer reviews for Sinclairs Darjeeling

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Visited Darjeeling in October ’08, and from the moment I stepped into the room, I was sure that I had made the right choice. The room had all wooden ceiling and flooring (even the passageways), the bed was quite comfortable and the bathroom, although a bit cramped, was adequate. The view from the room itself wasn’t that great, but each floor (the hotel has 3 in all) has it;s own viewing gallery which is basically a big balcony at the end of the passageway. Let me tell you, the view form that balcony is to die for. You can see a major part of Darjeeling city and jaw dropping view of the majestic Mt. Kanchenjunga from the comfort of your hotel. You can just stare at this view for hours without tiring.

The service at the hotel was fantastic; very quick, efficient, and the entire hotel staff was always smiling. Even the staff at 5 or 7 stars hotels don’t smile at you all the time...! The bed and bath linen was clean and changed everyday and all the basic amenities were provided (soaps, shampoos, shower caps, etc.)

The food was ok, nothing to write home about. They try hard to be creative but you wind up having the regular fare of Indian dishes. At least it’s not repulsive.

Prior booking is required, and if you are planning to travel between September and March, it’s best if you book early as this is considered as high season. You can get all their contact info on their website:

I had traveled alone, but the hotel is just as great for Families and large groups of friends. The hotel can organize site seeing trips for you as per you request and convenience. Trips from/to the Airport/Railway St. can be arranged.

I only had just one gripe from the hotel; they have no internet services. Although there is an internet cafe very near to the hotel, it would have been nicer to have it within the hotel itself.

One other thing, the road leading to the hotel is a steep climb, so if you are planning to traverse it on foot, you better be prepared for the exercise :-)

All in all, a great hotel to stay in, with excellent staff / service, comfortable rooms & fabulous views; and you will not have to break the bank in order to stay there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sinclairs Darjeeling. We are happy to note that you had a memorable and hassle free stay. We are glad to know that you were satisfied by our services. Our team goes that extra mile to provide utmost comfort to the guest and this wonderful review is very encouraging.

Hope you would continue visiting us in the future. Please join us on Facebook and Twitter to keep updated about our offers and promotions.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We had three nights stay at The Sinclairs, Darjeeling during the period 15th-18th Oct'13. Hotel is good with excellent view of Kanchenjungha from the balcony of 2nd & 3rd floor, provided morning sky is clear. We were fortunate in that regard. Its a better option to stay here and see Kanchenjungha with a sip of Darjeeling tea early in the morning than to visit Tiger Hill, which is totally a gamble. After putting in lot of effort to reach Tiger Hill, one can get frustrated of not able to see anything if the morning sky is foggy / not clear. Ambience of the hotel is good, staffs are co-ordial, helpful, Restaurant is good & food is excellent. The only problem is the steep ramp before reaching the hotel & the one way road in front of it due to which local cars are reluctant to drop at the hotel once the sight seeing is over. Get your negotiations done before finalizing / boarding the car.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ANJISHNU68
GM_Darjeeling, General Manager at Sinclairs Darjeeling, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Dear Guest,

We are indeed happy that you enjoyed your holiday with us. Thank you for appreciating the food quality and service. Such reviews can only motivate us to try even harder to achieve customer delight.

We are blessed to be conveniently located near the mall and town centre, and our hotel offers a magnificent view of the Himalayas. Our USP is indeed our location.

Please recommend us to your friends and family and keep updated with our promotions on Facebook and Twitter.

With respect to the approach road, this is maintained by the Darjeeling Municipality and we have already put in a complaint regarding this.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Had a nice overall stay - however a few things - the place needs some maintenance. The staff, though polite and courteous, needs to be proactive. A few improvements required in the restaurant. The closing hours need to be extended. A lot of items on the menu are not available. They need to be better stocked.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us at Sinclairs Darjeeling. Our prime focus is to provide efficient, warm and friendly service to all our guests and your mention about this is very encouraging and a great pride for the entire team. Thank you for acknowledging them. I have shared your comment with the entire team and they are equally happy to hear that you had a wonderful break with us.

We have noted your disappointment with regards to the closing hours of the restaurant. Even though we have strict hours, we sometimes extend these for the convenience of our guests, on special request. Sorry for the inconvenience regarding the unavailability of items in the food menu. We shall make sure these do not happen again in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you to Sinclairs Darjeeling once again.

Warms regards,

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I had been pre-booked into Sinclairs Darjeeling by the travel company that arranged much of my India trip, Immediately when I arrived, I had serious doubts. The entire place looked very run-down. And I found it extremely odd that they gave me a handwritten "form" on which to enter registration information. It didn't seem very professional.

On the way to the room, I observed mattresses stacked against the wall in the hall and garbage on the floor. The halls looked like a university dorm. The room was shabby, the walls were dirty, and there was grime on the bathroom door. The bed was rumpled.
I have stayed in many hotels in India. Some have been outstanding and some have been very average. This is the one and only time that I have felt that I could NOT stay at a place that had been booked for me. I called my travel agentwho wasted no time in moving me to another hotel.

Maybe I'm not being fair - I was only there for half an hour and these are only my impressions. I see that other reviewers are more positive. But this is what I saw and experienced.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Janet T

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor. We pride ourselves in offering a high level of service. I am very disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay. Our guests are our topmost priority and we strive to ensure that every guest has a very enjoyable time at the hotel.

I was concerned reading your comments about the lack of cleanliness in your room. This is certainly not indicative to the high standard we are aiming to provide for our guests and please rest assured that I have passed on your feedback to the Housekeeping Manger to avoid similar related issues in the future. We are grateful receiving guest feedback and I also shared the maintenance issues with our team and we are currently looking into improvement opportunities addressing the areas concerned.

Our rooms are being renovated and we shall be ready to welcome our guests with a whole new experience this season.

Once again, I am truly sorry for any shortcomings you have experienced and I sincerely hope that this experience will not deter you from choosing Sinclairs Darjeeling for your next visit to Darjeeling. Please feel free to make your reservation directly through me and I will be pleased to assist you.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Really a good place to stay in Darjeeling.Beautiful Lobby with fire place and great view of Darjeeling and the surrounding areas.Staff are very helpful and well mannered.Food excellent and restaurant is also clean and well decorated.Rooms are clean and well maintained.If awake early in morning you can have the view of mighty Kanchenjunga from your room and for better view just walk to balcony in each floors.I really love this place.

Room Tip: Prefer front facing and second floor rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
GM_Darjeeling, General Manager at Sinclairs Darjeeling, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having chosen Sinclairs as your preferred accommodation in Darjeeling as well as for your feedback following your recent stay. We very much appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are extremely thrilled to learn that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us at Sinclairs.

At Sinclairs, our goal is to offer personalised, welcoming and graceful service, so you feel like it's a home away from home. Certainly, location meaning the beautiful views of Mount Kanchenjunga and close proximity to the town centre and other sightseeing highlights of Darjeeling is very important to our guests but we also believe that in the end it is the personal touches that make the difference. Therefore, we were delighted to learn that you enjoyed and were wowed by our helpful and well mannered staff and personalised service.

Thank you very much for your comments which always help us to improve our service and facilities.

Should you return to Darjeeling we would love to welcoming you again to Sinclairs. Please follow us on Twitter and Facebook to keep updated with our offers and promotions.

Warm regards,

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Absolutely not recommended for the elderly / ppl with joint & back aches / ppl who do not like walking (a lot).

The approach road (trek) to the hotel is a steep & broken path which is all the more difficult to climb if it’s wet. The location though not very good, is just nice. Try and take rooms beside the balcony of the hotel.

The only UPS – awesom’est’ view from the balcony when the clouds are entering the room (no exaggeration)!!! If u r lucky, u may get to see a glimpse of Kanchendzonga.

The common areas of the hotel like lobby, staircase, etc. are mostly dirty. Rooms are cleaned only when reminded. Towels, toiletries are also provided only when called for a re-fill. Inadequately staffed housekeeping dept with an acute lack of training, given the brand name of Sinclairs!

Good food but very slow service and limited choices in vegetarian dishes. The nearby eat outs make up for this pretty well. Do indulge in the locally available food items especially tea, momo & bhutta.

Arranging a conveyance form the hotel desk is an expensive affair.

I definitely expected much more from the brand Sinclair..

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank ShwetAditya
GM_Darjeeling, General Manager at Sinclairs Darjeeling, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. It was truly disappointing to read the impressions you had following your stay with us.

Please accept our sincerely apologies for the inconveniences experienced during your stay. I sincerely apologise for the maintenance and housekeeping problems that cropped up during your stay with us. We will take corrective action to improve upon this. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

With respect to the approach road, it is a public road and maintained by the Darjeeling Municipality.

While I thank u for pointing out our failings, I am really sorry that you were unhappy enough to review us negatively. We hope you give us a chance in the future to provide you with a hassle-free experience.

Best Regards,