“not great bang for the buck”
Review of Dekeling Hotel

Dekeling Hotel
Ranked #5 of 99 Hotels in Darjeeling
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Found this hotel to be too pricey for what it offered. The place is an absolute maze to get around inside. One of the few hotels on our trip that didn't offer some sort of free breakfast. Our room was very large and pretty comfortable. Bathroom was older and nothing special. Common areas are pretty cool, sadly the great views were shrouded in fog on our stay. Service was professional , but a little impersonal.
Really nothing that bad or that good to say about it. at over 50usd a night, thought it was too expensive for what you got.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank pozdowny

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I am a very avid traveler and this is hands down the most homey hotel I have ever stayed in. The common room in an absolutely lovely place to sit by the fire (with a pot of delicious Darjeeling tea) and talk with other travellers. The staff is out of this world friendly and accommodating and the rooms were cozy and clean. We actually stayed longer then planned just because we loved the hotel so much.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my wife for three nights - 4 to 7 April 2014.

We were coming from Gangtok after spending 3 nights in The Nettle & Fern hotel. We were highly disappointed after seeing the congested and dirty roads in Darjeeling.

The hotel was easy to reach, right on road at the start of market near the Club taxi stand. Checkin was smooth. I called Manager Mr. Vikram on reaching the hotel and he sent two guys to carry our luggage. He asked me to fill in some details and gave us the room keys.

On entering the room we were hugely disappointed. It was in a semi lit lobby. The room was big in size - wooden walls, wooden flooring, aooden almirah which was dirty from inside. There was a big glass window as well, however it was opening in dirly lane. There was a bad smell coming from it.

On request Mr. Vikram provided us another room (201 - Super Deluxe Room). It was similar in structure and window was opening in the same dirty lane with slightly better views. I asked if I can get ay better room with views. Mr. Vikram replied it is their best room. I asked for honeymoon suite, which he said were not available for next 2 nights. He was very helpful and showed one other room that with better views but small in size. So we decided to stay in room 201 only that was only choice available. Bathroom was nice and clean, however the comode was without jet.

They do not provide in room electric kettle and tea-coffee satchets. They did provided us hot water flasks on request. One can order tea, coffee in room from 7 AM in morning till 8:30 PM in night on payment basis.

Continental bufet breakfast is available on payment Rs. 229 per person in common lobby. One can also order eggs, ommlette and toasts in room on payment basis. We preferred having North Indian breakfast and dinner in the Lunar restaurant 2 floors downstairs. The Lunar restaurant food was good but slightly higher priced.

The common lobby one floor above the reception was very nice with great views of the nearby areas. One can enjoy tea coffee there.

Another thing that I noticed was there were too many foreigners in this hotel. Infact I think I and my wife were only Indian tourists in the hotel during our stay there. Some of the foreigners were repeat guests of this hotel who have been coming here since many years. I was wondering if they give better rooms to their foreign customers. I am not sure. This was just a doubt in my mind.

Overall hotel is good...nice clean which is run by nice people. The owner lady even gave us a packet of darjeeling tea as gift when we were leaving. Manager Mr. Vikram and whomsoever we met there were nice helpful people. It is easy to reach also with a taxi stand just downstairs.

However I think this hotel is not for people who are expecting any luxury. This is nice clean budget hotel. Won't recommend it to honeymooners or Indian travellers with families who want to relax watching beautiful surroundings from their room windows/balconys.

There are better options available near Gandhi Road which I noticed later like Central Nirvana, Swiss Hotel etc. These hotels are no doubt expensive. If do not want to pay this much, try finding hotels slightly away from the busy area. One good hotel that I noticed was - Krishna Residency. It was around 4 kms away from the Darjeeling mall but it was facing beautiful valley and had big nice windows. The rates there are reasonable as well.

I recommend Dekeling for budget tourists who are looking for a nice clean stay near the mall and chaurastra!! A big thanks to their always smiling, nice helpful staff!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ujjwal T
Reviewed April 6, 2014

the service was excellent ..the hotel is beautiful and a different concept..the entire hotel gives a wooden look and the view from the room was fantastic..the owner met us personally and was very welcoming ...a small feedback that the room was not ready even after we were late and informed about checkin by calling an hour before.. but the lights were fused but they quickly managed to give us other room and the washroom didnot had a jet.. but but apart from this once you have checked in you for sure will fall in love the way the owner welcomes you.. the fire place and the reading lobby it was an excellent experience

Room Tip: try taking room with window towards east ... so that you can enjoy sunrise..
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Soamya
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Safe place for a lady travelling alone
Great location - just a short walk to the Mall, 2 restaurants (one in the ground floor and another in the second floor)
Beautiful place - cozy and warm; the fire place in the lounge is good and has a good view
The hotel provides breakfast but it can be had at a cheaper rate in nice restaurants just down the road
The standard room is comfortable thought the bathroom was yet to be cleaned when I arrived. Had to wait for about 20 minutes for it to be cleaned and then I unpacked
The service is good - they served tea in the room early in the morning on my request as I was leaving early on a trek
The staff is friendly and warm, especially the hostess. She even gave me a complimentary tea pack.
It takes easily 3 hours to reach the airport from the hotel, so please plan the time accordingly. I booked my taxi at the front desk for sightseeing and airport drop but they missed telling me that I would get late for my flight if I went sightseeing. I went sightseeing thinking it would take only 2 hours to reach the airport (it took me only 2 hours to reach the hotel from the airport on the day I arrived, but that day was a public holiday). Finally, with the driver speeding up, it still took 2.5 hours to reach the airport and I missed my flight. Had to stay overnight in another hotel near the airport in Bogdodara and catch another flight the following day. Quite stressful.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank SUK404
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

The Dekeling Hotel is a sight for tired, traveling eyes! Comfort unlike anything else we had experienced in India. Our room (A3) was absolutely beautiful. Stain glass windows and a great view of the valley below. The beds were so comfortable, and the sheets unbelievably soft. Plenty of warm blankets, too! And every night we were delivered hot water bottles, which were really the cherries on top! The water in the shower was hot, sometimes too hot (my only complaint). There are two great 'living rooms' to sit around and read in, the one downstairs even has a wood stove as well as an electric heater. Bookshelves line almost every wall, and you're welcome to any book during your stay (great selection. We were a little disappointed that they didn't do a book exchange, but oh well). Great views of Kanchenjunga from this room, too! I highly recommend getting the buffet breakfast, which was yummy and happily enjoyed from the comfort of the living room! The dog, Dolma, was an extra cherry on top. Staff incredibly friendly and accommodating, sending us home with a gift of Darjeeling tea.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Torreyandnick
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We can't say enough about the Dekeling Hotel and its staff. It has a great location, nice rooms, good food, but the staff is what makes the hotel so excellent. Both the desk clerk (we wish we knew his name) and the woman we saw primarily in the eating area were helpful and delightful. My girlfriend and I highly recommend this hotel! Corna Gossage

Room Tip: While the rooms facing the mountains can provide a good view, the rooms in the back have heaters on...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends