“It seems like a big hotel but it's a warm family house”
Review of Dekeling Hotel

Dekeling Hotel
Ranked #5 of 98 Hotels in Darjeeling
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I felt like at home in this warm wood style house, clean and very well situated. Breakfast and views are excellent and the Tibetan woman managing this hotel is absolutely lovely and helpful ! Prices are very decent compared to price-quality ratio in other hotels in Darjeeling. I recommend !

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Dekeling Hotel

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I heard of Dekeling Hotel from my Nephew and neice in law who had been there on their honeymoon and were very satisfied. So in my unplanned holiday trip with family - luck they had only one room that was vacant and we got it. Plus points of the hotel - Cars ply up to the hotel ( it doesnt to all the hotels), all rooms have view of the hills are decent have a lot of light and decor is good, hotel issituated just opposite the Keventers and very near to the mall and above all excellent hospiatlity from Mrs Norbu and Vikram of the hotel. Food servet at the hotel Dekevas in the ground floor is top class - ask for Continental lor Tibetan there. Minus point - Hotel is situated in the fouth flor and there is no elevator. There is another hotel in the 2nd and Third hotel - beware of that - they have an exhorbitant room rate

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed here last june... thats almost year from now on. We were a group of three couples and a kid. It was almost the end of peak season and it was good that we booked our rooms from kolkata through e-mail and depositing an advance. Seeing the earlier reviews we had greta expectations from the hotel.

The location of the hotel is probably one of the best in darjeeling. And thats the best point of this hotel. Though its not suggested for elderly people as you have to take a flight of 3 steep set of staircases before you reach the hotel. Actually its a tall building whose lower floors serve as another hotel and the upper floors are that of dekeling.

The first-look impression is great. Nice wooden decor, welcoming staff, two lounge areas, library (though we were always told that the keys to the shelves are not available), more or less clean rooms and bathrooms. They have two wings - the old and the new. We were given rooms in the old wing and they had good view of the mountains. Rooms had all basic and value for money amenities.

They have no restaurant of their own. They serve you breakfast in one of thier lounges. Preparations are good. However for all other meals you have to choose other options. Though must say there are options galore in close proximity.

One biggest disadvantage of this property is if theres loadshedding after midnight they don't run the generator for some wierd reason of theres and you have to help yourself with candles if you want to stay awake late night. If you are paying round Rs.2100/- for a room (which we did)you don't feel like tolerating such weird policy of theres. Besides the hotel lacks open areas or any sort of recreational facilities.

I will say its a value for money kind of a hotel. If you don't expect too much its your kind of platter. The rate which you pay is more than worth it. However personally I will suggest if you are willing to shed some few more bucks, shed them, and you will get better options.

Room Tip: Ask for the mountain-facing rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank souravsg06
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Even though our room number was confirmed before our arrival, we ended up in a different room. Both the room and the bathroom were way too small, considering this is not a simple budget place. Fortunately, the hot water was working all right.
The service was ok, but again, whatever you order, they will for sure add lots of fees that you get the feeling they make lots of money with you as a tourist...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Luise Z
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Its a family run hotel.The owner Mrs Norbu does an excellent job in attending the guest.Its located centrally.Our stay was comfortable. The food was good and we had lot of options to select from.Higher floor rooms have an excellent view.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Dekeling Hotel was a very charming hotel located about a 5 minute walk to the main square passing many restaurants along the way. The room although outdated in furnishings was comfortable and clean. If you go in winter be sure to ask for either hot water bottle and/or electric heater which they provide (elec. heater at a small daily fee; hot water bottle is given daily and is free). The staff was very nice and helpful. I can say perhaps the only problem for some is that there are many steps to get to the lobby. When I was there, they were doing work on a restaurant, so it was closed, but I was there back in January. I assume they have opened by now. My shower did not work properly and they were very quick to find me another room with no fuss. Going towards the train station there is a little travel agency (I can't remember the name), but they provided me with a driver for Tiger Hill and around to the important Monasteries at very reasonable prices and the driver was very good and spoke pretty good English. All in all I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a week and loved it! The staff, the food, the location, and the facilities are all excellent. For breakfast I was offered omelet after omelet and would have stuffed myself more but manners and the fact that we were to walk around Darjeeling later each day made me finally leave the buffet table! The common room was cozy with the stove going and the view from that room meant that I could happily skip the early morning taxi ride to Tiger Hill. Hot water bottles were offered (and gratefully accepted) each night. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple