“Our Home in Darjeeling”

and 1 more site!
Dekeling Hotel
Ranked #5 of 98 Hotels in Darjeeling
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We found this hotel from Lonely Planet Guide.. Me and my friend were there in April, it was a bit cold and there's no heater. I used my sleeping bag at once stage because it's too cold. The hot shower was beautiful with the view of the mountains from the bathroom ( small window )

The common room is one of the best in this part of the world. Library, computers, stove in the middle. It's huge and fit in lots of people from different countries to exchange their stories, and from there you can easily see the range of mountain from far away and the look out of Darjeeling itself. Beautiful setting..

The breakfast was ok, nothing special. But they're always around when you need them. The OWNER is like our mother!!! She's like a mother you want to hug the whole time.. she always make sure everyone is happy, always smile and always there to say goodbye to everyone who's leaving the place.

In total we stayed in this place for almost 10 days... in between our trekking time. Our home in Darjeeling.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Patricia H
dekeling, Owner at Dekeling Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear Sir/ Madam
All of us here at Dekeling would like to thank you sincerely for your kind review, appreciating our services and facilities. We are very sorry that you felt cold. We do provide heater on request on additional charge. We apologize to you that we did not mention about the extra heater provision and we would definitely like to assure you a very warm stay during your next visit. My wife would like to thank you for fondly calling her Mom, as she feels she is one to all her guests and wants to ensure the comfort of all her guests. We would all like to join together to thank you for staying at the Dekeling.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed at Dekeling Hotel for a week in June 2012 and was very impressed. I made my decision to go to Darjeeling at the last minute & only enquired about booking a room the day before I arrived. Whilst not expecting to get a room in one of the nicer hotels at such short notice I was pleasantly surprised when I rang from Delhi airport the morning of my arrival to be told by a very helpful staff member that there was indeed a room available at Dekeling.

The location is perfect & the views from my cosy attic room were superb. From the moment I arrived the staff were always friendly, polite & helpful. If you struggle with stairs then you may want to look somewhere else as there is a bit of a climb to the reception & then to the room but it was certainly worth it.

Whilst there is no in-house restaurant there is breakfast available and there are two restaurants (both quite good) in the same building & one of them is owned by the hotel. Besides this there are plenty of other eateries very close & each one I visited had great food.

Even in my attic room I had wi-fi access of high enough quality to let me stream the Australian rules football on my laptop at good quality, although the occasional power outages did mean it cut in and out a little. The room itself may have been small & cosy (tall people may want to avoid the attic rooms) but it was very clean, I found it quite warm, there was running hot water (although sometimes not available) & the room was serviced daily if required. Other than the noise of constant dog's barking all night (not the hotel owners fault - they were mainly street dogs) this was the most enjoyable stay I had during my 7 weeks in India.

The most impressive thing about Hotel Dekeling were the staff that I have already mentioned. I didn't think the service I had received in Dharamsala could be repeated but it was. Everyone associated with Dekeling (including in the associated Dekevas restaurant on the ground floor) that I had contact with had a wonderfully warm personality and was very helpful. Mrs Dekeva especially. Although I did not have a lot to do with her, Mrs Dekeva volunteered her advice on things to do and see freely and honestly, and with a warmth of personality that it is not possible to fake.

I really wish I could have stayed longer in Darjeeling & at the Dekeling Hotel but I will make up for that by returning next year.

Room Tip: If you are tall (over 180cm) you may want to avoid the attic rooms. I loved mine & the view from...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Shane S

Dear Sir
Thanking you for staying with us and all of us would like to express our big thank you for posting your vivid review. We fondly remember your visit and your stay in room number A12. It is very kind of you to appreciate all our facilities available and your appreciation of service of our staff we assure you that we will always keep up the good service and good energy at the Dekeling.
We would like to share with you the good news that we have extended the size of our common lounge and from the new extension one can get the most amazing whole panoramic views of the Himalayas, the surrounding tea gardens and the view of whole Darjeeling Town. Further we have also refurbished our Deluxe Rooms and they appear very cozy .Looking forward to have you with us soon.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Easy to find hotel next to the police roundabout, then up 70 odd steps.

Saw a few different rooms, looks like they might all be a bit different and have different prices. The one I ended up with was clean with a good Western style bathroom, hot water in the shower. No complaints at all with the room. Welcome tea on arrival.

Didn't have any toilet paper or towel in the room, asked the staff twice and finally they brought some. Asked four times about laundry before anything happened there. There were also a couple of lights broken in the room, asked about those lots of time but then gave up on getting that fixed. There was some electrical work going on, not sure how much that distracted the staff but they did not seem very on the ball.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank dh2119
Reviewed July 18, 2012

had stayed at dekeling on mid july. centrally located, very friendly staff, 24 hrs hot water , good view , cozy and comfortable room. choice of 2 restaurants in the building with choice of Indian , chinese and tibetian food.

Room Tip: rooms facing the valley
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sharath s
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Had booked honeymoon suite for a nite stay in mid june...Location was excellant offcourse.. however no view at all.. rooms were facing dingy backyards..Room size was good...hot water available throughout.. but limited services...no room service.. property was very small ...Small lounge upstairs had sum noisy construction work going on.. few electrical fittings were missing from the room....However wahtever service they promised was very very prompt..for ex mineral water would be delivered as soon as it was ordered..Also want to make a mention that laundry sevice was excellant and reasonable...A small garnment that was initially misplaced by them was promptly folloed up and duly returned even after checking out of the hotel...Another draw back of that hotel was the height of the hotel...had too climb a lot of stairs to reach the reception desk.. very difficult with small child/luggage...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Location was good. Quite centrally located. Easy to find cab and shop. The interior of hotel is also very good. I didn't get chance to try restaurant food as we used to leave early and come late. The deluxe room was good with nice mountain view. I faced only problem that the hot water supply was not working. But they arranged hot water in buckets....coool you can try...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ManojKrSharma
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We planned to stay at the Dekeling Hotel before and after a five day trek. We stayed before the trek and I was quite pleased. The hotel isn't the cleanest, but not bad. And it has character. And employees were nice. We reserved a room for the day we returned from the trek, as well.

Unfortunately we returned from the trek at 8 PM and...no room. They were full, and they acknowledged that they had made an error and simply "lost" our reservation. If you've been to the Darjeeling, you know that everything closes at 9. So we smell like crap, we need to get showered and get to a restaurant within an hour, and their solution is to put us in a taxi to go to the Dekeling Resort, which is 20 minutes away. Needless to say, I was livid.

We eventually showered in a communal shower and changed in a large closet. We had dinner, and then later that night moved to the Tibet Hotel (also owned by Dekeling). This place was terrible--it had no internet and when we tried to leave in the morning the gate was locked. Nobody at the front desk, we were locked in. Crazy fire hazard.

So overall Dekeling gets 2 stars. I can see how people stay there and like it. But for us, it was a nightmare.

Room Tip: Make sure you verify and then re-verify your room reservation. I'd recommend calling repeatedly...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends