“Nostalgic Ride”

Darjeeling Toy Train
Ranked #14 of 99 things to do in Darjeeling
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Though the services are poor, maintenance was poorer and the costs are much higher compared to the other mode of transportation available to reach Darjeeling from NJP,but the experience of not a bad one for us. It was like a nostalgia as I have seen this many times in the old hindi movies and always used to dream of riding this train. This is considered to be one of the heritage. I think the railway department should take immediate and serious action to continue its glory.
A must ride for even once in a lifetime.

2  Thank Ghosh_Partha

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I must confess that I was disillusioned after a real experience on this "Heritage" train. I booked a ticket for four, well in advance, for a joy ride on 25.4.2013.Children were beaming with enthusiasm as they had images of a steam engine in mind, chugging through Darjeeling and its outskirts.Bookings were made well in advance,anticipating rush due to tourist season.

On arrival at the Darjeeling Station on 25.04.2013,I was disappointed to see a Diesel Engine attached to 2 coaches at 10:30 A.M. Totally baffled, I inquired about the situation from the Station manager. I was told that this is the train for the "joy ride" and due to some problems, instead of Steam Engine; a Diesel Engine will be used. It is worth noting that DHR is having sufficient Steam Engines to cater to the need of Joy Rides and Chartered Tours. It was highly disappointing and discouraging to note that the the flagship of DHR: graceful Steam Engines, remain out of order and not available for the trips which tourists crave for. Can any one imagine a joy ride on DHR without a Steam Engine? Normal joy rides are available every where,in every Zoo and amusement park.

Here someone comes with a different picture in mind endorsed by glorious past of DHR, beautiful scenes and surroundings and of course chugging steam engines. I must confess that every perception I had about this "heritage train" was falsified and all the nostalgia and charm had diminished. Keeping in view the experience I had, I am compelled to say that the "Joy ride" is just an overpriced, hyped and disappointing journey and I feel that it is nothing better than a normal "toy train" found everywhere.

I personally feel that it will be a better option to go to Tung or Kursiong on a normal daily Diesel Train and enjoy at least scenic beauty if not the train ride. It was even informed that certificates will be given to the persons who board this Joy ride.

2  Thank AshutoshMishra
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Bad experience. From the unfriendly station management through the railway route to the train condition - everything equally bad. Ticket costs 750 INR without any way to alter your trip - you will go to Ghoom, stay there for 30 mins and return to Darjeeling. Buying the tickets was complicated (you had to fill in the paperwork). Riding the train was a pain - noisy, smelly, the windows were dirty and it drops you off at the "museum" which does not really look like one. We decided not to ride the train back to Darjeeling but rather walk there... which was more pleasant.

2  Thank Zmetak
Reviewed June 26, 2013

On our visit to Darjelling we planned to take a ride on the toy train as the kids were impressed after seeing the movie Burfi . How beautiful views are shown in the movie But very sorry to say that the experience was horrible. After waiting in a long queue we got the tickets and that to we fond very expensive , which was not at all worth for such a sight seeing or ride . The view was horrible stinging garbage on the sides and the train was also very noisy. The railway mamagement should do something to improve it.

1  Thank prateek197
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Disappointed in the sense that due to rains and repair works going on at the station, it was a total mess. Was expecting the steam engine, but they all have been replaced with diesel engines.

1  Thank Ajaysri_2k