The Elgin, Darjeeling
$204
Cedar Inn(Darjeeling)
$144
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscherry brandymr badalheritage propertyold world charmpiano playerpublic roomsbreakfast and dinnerbritish eracharming hotelhigh tealounge areahot water bottlesreading roomthe ground floorevery eveningcommon areasindian food
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 16, 2008

This place is pretty. The food is excellent but the service like everywhere else in India is lacking. DO Not get your laundry done there your clothes will get ruined. Also check your receipts at check out because you might find some additional charges and make sure to confirm the price before staying. The beds are terrible and stinky you might as well sleep in an old farm house it will be much much cheaper. Afternoon tea is not worth the price either.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2008

I booked one package for Suites in Elgin Hotels during July 2007 for 10 days.

Although, service staff at hotel was ok but their marketing manager i.e. Mr. Puneet K Krishnan behaved with me very rudely and took excess payment from me (apart from which was agreed) and never refunded the same.

I paid the booking amount initially as needed and paid the rest via cash and credit card transfer while staying at Hotel.

At one time, I tried paying them by credit card but their machine was not working so I asked my office to transfer the money in their account. Meanwhile I got a call from above person who was talking very rudely and asking to pay instantly.

Hence, I again tried paying them by credit card in one of their other hotel and got succeeded but in the meantime cash had also been transfered in their account.

Their manager then promised me to refund the money during next month which never came inspite of repeated reminders.

Although, the money involved was not much but this incidence gave me an actual picture of so called Dajeeling's Best Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Braham_S_Aggarwal
Reviewed December 24, 2007

Am here at the Elgin Hotel after 3 years. I am writing as i observe there has been a marked improvement i the hotel overall.

Compared to my visit a few years back, this visit will be a fond and memorable one.

While the hotel still retains its glorious old englisg ambience , very warm , very romantic and very homely.

There is a marked improvement in the standard of the bed rooms. My bathroom was completey renoveted in lovely green marble, the've got a new house keeper Tanu who is very warm and efficient.

The old antique furniture in the bedroom was all polished and repaired and the bedroom seemed to have a completey new fresh coat of paint . Overall no complaints with the bedrooms they comply with good standards.

Reception staff has changed too, they have three new boys , Kiran, Buddha and Umesh. All very helpful and uncomplicated like the old staff i came across the last time was here.

Food quality is very good , buffets are of a good standard , they do chinese, indian , continental and local cuisine,although for a la carte u gotta place an order in advance.

I particularly liked the water saving measure they've adopted at the Elgin. They use these 35 litre individual water heaters in every room, this saves water and electricity if theres only one room occupied in the whole floor , its a good eco-friendly practise. A word of advise!! use hot water carefully otherwise u gotta wait for twenty to trirty minutes for the water to reheat in case the hot water runs out.

A few small lovely things i observed at the elgin.

They place those hot water bottles in your bed at night while doing the turn down service . I loved the practise.

They have polished wooden floor boards in the bed rooms now so no smelly carpets and no room for those old hotel allergies , a good move.

Overall i would say its a beautiful boutique hotel amongst the best in india i have seen, the other ones being the Savoy hotel in Mussrorie.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank santa21
Reviewed December 19, 2007

After a long winding drive through the mountains of darjeeling.

I must say the Elgin was a warm haven waiting to greet my husband and me with a warm blazing fire place , and a beautiful lounge that is one of the best warm romantic lounges i have ever seen all in red drapes .

At check in we were warly greetd by "Tanu" the receptionist who very graciously offered us a lovely sofa to sit in the lounge . We were then offered the silken scarf welcome and some beverages acxompanied. A cherry brandy or fruit juice of choice.

It was very heartning and warm especially a welcome like this at the Elgin, which is very unlike the usual standing check in at a hotel counter.

We then spent three nights at the Elgin. We were given an attic room. The wooden ceilings and the burma teak floor boards were lovely. I loved the way they gave us warm hot water bags to go with our beds and the way bed was served by the "chowkidar" the night watch men in the morning. It gave the feeling i was in tea country.

The food was a fixed buffet and although there was no a la carte in the dining room, the service was quick and prompt. The food quality in the buffet was very fresh and very good indeed. They made sure they changed the menu at every meal time so we werent bored. They do chinese, continental , indian and local cuisines. All cuisine standards were pretty good. Dont forget to try their soups yjey are very good.

Over all i feel it was lovely cozy hotel , warm old staff , very personalised service.

I will surely return.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank snoopy021
Reviewed October 3, 2007

Was planning a trip to Darjeeling and a colleague recommended the Elgin. "Old British property with loads of character. I know the management and will get you a discount as well". I was hooked. For around Rs. 21,000, I was reserved in a suite for 3 nights.

Problem-1: The hotel wanted a 100% advance. I thought that happens only in Russia. And this is the off-peak season in Darjeeling. Ah well. "Do you have an online payment gateway?" No. "Can I give you my credit card number as guarantee?" No. Only option - send a cheque!

Problem-2: The hotel's sales office is in Calcutta and I live in Bombay. "No problem," said the sales manager, a lady named Madhumita. "We have an office in Bombay, and they will pick up the cheque from your home or office. This is their phone number." So far so good.

The phone number is a cell number. The person using that number turns out to be the son of the owner who appears to have retired to Bombay! The hotel has no sales office in Bombay - the son of the owner will pick up the cheque!

The SOO (Son of Owner) sounds very pleasant on the phone, but is extremely surprised as to how I knew about the Elgin despite being a Bombay resident. He also requests me to mail the cheque to him "as my driver unfortunately cannot visit your place".

Oh well! I write out a cheque for the full amount and despatch it by courier. 4 days pass, no response. My wife calls the SOO - no response. She calls Calcutta and speaks to the sales manager. In a manner that would do Basil Fawlty proud, she ticks of my wife telling her that (a) she has not received the cheque, and (b) it is not her business to follow up for payments.

A shell shocked wife checks with the courier for delivery status - and discovers that the envelope has been received by the SOO's building security. The envelope has been resting in the SOO's mail box for 3 days.

We try the SOO again - and get through this time. He is very apologetic, runs down and comes back to confirm that he has got the cheque. I complain about the manager's rude behaviour. He apologises and states that he is sending the cheque to Calcutta.

2 hours later, an email comes from Madhumita stating, amongst other things that "I had a misunderstanding with your wife" and "I will issue the receipt when I receive the cheque in Calcutta". Ah well, let bygones be bygones.

Two days later, my wife receives a call at work on her cell phone. It is Madhumita, breathing fire and brimstone. "I asked for a local cheque. You have sent me an outstation cheque. This is cheating!". And on and on and on.

That evening, we call the SOO to complain against the sales manager's conduct. "I am sorry," he says, "but she can be rather stern."

We finally do the inevitable - tell the SOO to cancel the reservation request. We finally book at another hotel in Darjeeling, where our custom is treated with more respect!

Owners of the Elgin, please wake up! Another reviewer has commented that "the staff are unhappy". Even without staying there, I can believe it!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family