“Nice but a bit damp”
Review of Hotel Tranquility

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Darjeeling
Hotel Tranquility
Ranked #10 of 122 Darjeeling B&B and Inns
Amsterdam
“Nice but a bit damp”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend in December 2012. We we’re asked 600 rupees for a double room. The owner was really friendly and helpful. We were provided with bedding and a towel but our room was a little cold and damp. This does seem to be a bit of a problem in Darjeeling but this was hardly budget accommodation and therefore I think better value accommodation can be had elsewhere. I can’t remember which room we stayed in so perhaps the best bet is to check it out first and deciding for yourself.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jodhpur, India
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I'll be fare. I am telling you to avoid this place, not because the rooms weren't spacious or clean or beacause we didn't have enough blankets. Actually, I tell you to avoid this hotel because the owner is an awful and arrogant person. He doesn't care about the satisfaction and the comfort of his guests, he is cheap and he thinks too much of himself and his hotel. He doesn't treat you like a good buisness man should, you are not the client that is always right, and even if you know you are, he will not accept it.
I was with my parents that really didn't like the place because of the owner, and the man told them that they could leave for an other hotel, anyways, his hotel was really LOVED by other people and he had enough guests.
When me and my girlfriend were checking out after a few days of staying there (note here that our relationship with the owner was pretty o.k.) and the owner charged us twice too much for the wi-fi accusing us of telling the password to everyone, wich was ridiculous because we never had done such a thing. Acually, his nice 11 years old son gave the wi-fi to the guests. I told him it was very cheap to do this, and what he answered was that i was the cheap one, and he had a LOT of money and he didn't even need my money.

The place isn't even worth it, it is too expensive (about that, when we asked for toilet paper, wich we know is not really popular in india's hotel, he laughed and said that for this price (700 rupies wich is a LOT for the season we were in Darjeeling) we surely wouln'd get toilet paper.) The rooms were not isolated, so we were FREEZING. Without a doubt, the owner is resting on his laurels because he is in the Lonely Planet.

PLEASE, AVOID THIS PLACE, YOU WILL JUST INCREASE THE SELF ESTEEM OF THE MAN. Don't encourage such a person, there are plenty of descent hotel on the same street!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Zak G
Jodhpur, India
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This little hotel slightly off the main street is lovely and quiet. The manager is stern but very helpful. The rooms are lovely with wooden furniture and views of the Himalayas. The hot water was very welcome as Darjeeling is freezing in November! There is a common room with a tv which is a nice place to hang out in.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

+ Great location (backpacker area, great view, less crowded)
+ Very helpful and nice staff
+ Very reasonable prices

- WiFi is not for free
- No restaurant

Reservations are recommendet during Puja festival season (late October)

• Stayed October 2012
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We were told there is hot shower 24 hours. unfortunately the hot water ran out after exactly 3 minutes.
the owner gave positive first impression, but once we complained about the "hot" shower, he became rude and arrogant. He disrespect me and made me feel like I lie.
On the same day we saw a huge rat running from the kitchen in the hallway next to our room. The owner did not care at all.
the worst part was that after 2 days at the guest house, the owner told us that tomorrow morning we have to leave because he already gave our room to another couple! he said that since we did not tell him that we are staying more nights we are requested to leave as he has no other available rooms!
We originally planned to stay there another 2 days before going for trekking and found ourselves at late evening time searching for another guest house to move to early in the morning. this was humiliating and disrespectful. We never had such experience during all our trips abroad.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NetaT
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Staying at Tranquility was a mixed experience. The Hotel was no doubt great value for money and location, not too bad either. Rooms were fantastic and toilet and bathroom great too! However, one had to return to the hotel before 10:30pm after which the doors would be shut. Ofcourse we managed to stay out longer and return way past 10:30pm and the staff still opened the door, but were very grumpy about it and warned us to return earlier, not such a good thing when you are on holiday and want to hang out at the pubs or go for a late night coffee. Wifi was available but wasn't free. So yes, if you plan to hang out at night then this hotel would not be a good choice.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are better value for money