“Simple, friendly, home-style meals”
Review of Sonam's Kitchen

Sonam's Kitchen
Ranked #3 of 117 Restaurants in Darjeeling
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Love this place. The owner, Sonam, is really friendly and actually actively works there and cooks/serves meals. They're smart enough to have a small menu (meaning everyone on it is a specialty). I can vouch for the French toast, all the basic breakfast items (toast, eggs, tomatoes, etc.), and the coffee (great by local standards). Seems hygienic, at least compared to most places in the region.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

This place has limited seating, everytime we tried to go it was full - which is obviously a good sign. When I did eventually end up eating here, I had the best time. I was so gorgeous, I had pancakes with honey and fruit, but I was jealous of all the other plates of food I saw other travellers eating. I only wish I discovered this place earlier.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Ate breakfast at Sonam's multiple times during my two visits to Darjeeling in April 2013 - and they delivered each time. The toast, eggs, hash browns and brown toast are all top notch - it's Western breakfast done well - a huge anomaly in the subcontinent. The tall fella with the impeccable English is affable and helpful, with a ton of local knowledge.

As an added plus, staff are happy to bring your order up to the roof of the Marigold Residence Darjeeling (immediately opposite) - the roof has a great little garden with lots of potted flowers, strawberry plants etc - and is a sweet place to eat overlooking the valley below.

In summary, give this place a crack - you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank thisisseriousmum
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Breakfast is really good over there. A little bit more expensive than elsewhere but even the best we have had in Darjeeling. Black tea is just 10 rupies though.

They told us they have WiFi but it didn't work when we have been there. The man working there was really nice but the woman was somehow rude. There isn't much space and she was seating two people at our table without even asking. They have been nice but it felt strange that she haven't ask before.

But well, a really good choice in total!

1  Thank Jumarei
Reviewed April 12, 2013

After reading such promising reviews of this place, we decided to go there for dinner. The menu was very basic, suited the backpacker on the budget with few rupees to spare. Disappointed, we ordered a vegetable soup that could warm us up, as there was nothing else appealing on the menu. While waiting, I contemplated the idea of a false Sonam’s Kitchen, created just around the corner to mislead the travellers. Surely, with so many good reviews, this couldn’t be a place… Finally our first bowl of soup arrived. The size of actual kitchen was so, so small that it took another 10 minutes to cook the second ordered soup, with noodles this time. We ate our tasteless soup separately, and not very happy. At the time I was convinced that the real Sonam’s Kitchen must exist somewhere around, but we didn’t discover it yet. The most amazing thing was to see Westerners, probably encouraged by good reviews, who were coming with hopes (like us) for a good meal. I must admit we didn’t try the breakfast here. The dinner scared us away to even consider coming back for coffee and pancakes.

2  Thank Inetta04