“The best view of Kanchenjungha from Darjeeling” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Darjeeling Tourist Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Darjeeling
Darjeeling Tourist Lodge
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“The best view of Kanchenjungha from Darjeeling”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

The best view of Kanchengungha from Darjeeling. Good service. Good food value. Overall value for money. Well behaved staffs. From ground floor room you can directly go to the garden. And from 1st and 2nd floor rooms you can get excellent view of Kanchenjungha. Every room has attached balcony also.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank SudipBhattacharyya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Kolkata
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

I would say it best due to several reasons, that I will come across a bit later.
First let me tell you, Darjeeling, Digha and Puri are the 3 places, I never plan in advance.
Once I get a break of 4 days, I normally go to these places to relax.

This is the 5th time in Darjeeling and I booked Darjeeling Tourist Lodge online as I planned just 1 week ago. So, no option to do some early research on this Lodge.
The tariffs are comparatively high. First 2 days I got a room @220 + tax and last day @3100 + tax.

Now back to the review -
The location is just 3-4 minutes drive from Mall Chowrasta. It's on upper Mall.
Walking distance from Mall is about 10-12 minutes.

The reception is just superb and very responsive. We have a room on the 1st floor on 1st 2 days and last day at top floor (2nd floor)

Rooms are quite big and spacious. The wooden floor gives you a kind of different flavor. A small 8.5 ft by 5 ft balcony is just an extra. You can have a lovely Kanchenjunga view directly from the balcony. I dropped my idea of going to Tiger hill to view sunrise next morning as I planned to view it from the balcony itself.

I always take my powerful Bushnell Binaculor (10x * 90x) while I travel. So, I am bit excited to see the sunrise next morning from the attached balcony.

And believe me, very next morning, I have seen the best surise in my life. Haven't seen such a clear view from Tiger hill in my last 4 visits. May be this time, I am lucky to have clear sky with no fog.

The complimentary breakfast is awesome. They don't have buffet system. So, limited breakfast. If you wanna eat more you need to order it.

The dinning hall is very large and have excellent view of the hills from the big glass window,
The lawn is an added advantage for your kids to play.

The Bar is excellent and having the right ambiance that I want while I drink. I was the only guy in the bar. The tax is bit high so I think, most of the people avoid. But I am sure it will worth spending some time in bar.

You can contact the Hotel Manager for booking of cans for sight scene. The rates are more or less same everywhere.

Lastly, if you wanna taste the actual Darjeeling tea, order here. The taste is just awesome and mind blowing!

The only flip side is the tariff could be 20% less. But still if you wanna have a memorable stay, don't miss this lodge.

Thanks guys! Have a nice memorable stay here.
Cheers

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank SandipNaskar
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

We stayed in Darjeeling Tourist Lodge for three days. We stayed here in the annexe building, we were 2 families with 3 kids.
Before taking decision to choose a hotel in darjeeling i went through no of reviews of different hotels , so i thought of writing which will really help ohers to take decisions.
Guests would get genuine Darjeeling Tea here only after 7am. I Checked with staff & manager that its from Makaibari tea estate.
The Mall's Chowrasta is a only 5-8 min walk
The inhouse restaurant is spacious has fairly good tasty food .try the chicken preparation.bengali dishes are not up to mark. .
A well maintained green lawn.with Kanchenjunga view , A bit far from annexe building
Wooden floor rooms will give you a lovely felling with spacious beds &sofa. though the tv is small but managable.
The common-balcony here faces the roofs of gymkhana club,you can get a view of church& tennis court from the balcony.a mountains far away
Enjoy vacation in Darjeeling & dont miss the toy train joy ride from darjeeling to ghoom &back

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank senarijit
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed at Darjeeling Tourist Lodge for one night in November on our onward journey from Gangtok. The room was spacious with a small attached room for outside view. The View of snow covered mountains was excellent from the room. Staff was very courteous and willing to help. Food in the restaurant was simple and good. The location was close to the Mall Road which was also an advantage.

Overall a good place to stay and relax

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Anandp21
Kolkata
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed in Darjeeling Tourist Lodge for three days. The weather was perfect. We stayed here in the annexe building, which was renovated and rooms in the main building was a bit costly. We were in the annexe building, which was renovated.

The room was excellent and in a very good corner position. The staff were really cooperative. One such member, nicknamed as 'Mama' helped us a lot. Food in the restaurant was really good and staff was very cordial. Sunrise from the adjacent ground was really watch to see. Mall was nearby.

In the second morning, we went to see Himalayan Mountaineering Institute and Zoo. In the time of returning, we saw historical museum, Here different types of butterflies are kept with care along with other creatures.

In the third morning, we went to see sunrise from Tiger Hills. It was unique. There was a proverb that only the lucky persons could see a good sunrise in Tiger Hills. We were also lucky as we enjoyed a beautiful sunrise. We also took the taste of momos and thupkas in the roadside cafes on the Mall.

Enjoy vacation in Darjeeling and send your feedback in Trip Advisor. Best wishes.

Room Tip: Beware of monkeys. Corner rooms (4-bedded and 5-bedded) in the annexe building are well positioned a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank anjanghosh
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We booked the lodge from West bengal tourism site: www.westbengaltourism.gov.in. Bookings were done through website, it was quiet convenient . Do carry your Id proof and the print out of the E-ticket. Ideally located near the Mall road, few minutes walk from Taxi Stand and Darjeeling Toy Train Station. The lodge staff are informative and they also helped us with our local sight seeing activites. The view from the rooms are amazing... You can see the tiger hills, snow capped peaks from the backyard. The rooms are very spacious and clean. The room service is good. Food is great. But limited to few options, absolute at very reasonable rates .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Snigdha7
kolkata
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This place is very close to the Mall- about 5 minutes walk down past the old gymkhana club and the old St Andrews church. the new cultural centre is also just down the road. the place is so calm and pleasant that you would like to postpone your departure. they have a very friendly staff - albeit laid back but graceful. the food is good and the tea is awesome. the back garden is also very nice place to relax. Kanchenjunga can be seen from the rooms on any clear day.

Room Tip: 1st floor - and not the annexe.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family