“Paradise Farm!”

Ranked #2 of 124 Darjeeling B&B and Inns
Jamshedpur
“Paradise Farm!”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We visited Tathagata Farms during the festive season in October'12. It was our honeymoon trip and we wished to make it special. Now when I look back, I really think it was a good idea to skip the monotonous 5/7 point sightseeing tours when visiting a place like Darjeeling. We decided to spend 2 days in Darjeeling & then straightaway head to Tathagata farms. After a winding bumpy ride, we were just plain awestruck when we reached the farm. The tranquil atmosphere just grasped us even before settlling in, the lush green environs and being far far away from the head splitting maddening crowd, pollution and that constant reminder of urban decay. It is such a place that one always wants to escape to in one's dreams. We were warmly welcomed by Naveen & his brother Praveen, and meeting them after weeks of telecons & a flurry of emails was a solace as we connected instantly. The hut was excellent, aesthetically setup with minimalistic but soothing decor, in a nutshell it was just the kind of place any honeymooning couple can ever ask for. As days rolled by, we lazed around, eating sumptous food and tasting local brew with the charming Naveen to give us company every evening. There was something new to explore everyday whether the Village Walk, the delicious lunch at a farmer's abode, mountain bike trail, picnic by the River, or even indulging in football with the locals atop the mountains! Oh and my wife will never forget her suprise birthday celebration by the pool, thanks to the lovely & timely arrangements made by Naveen. Hats off to the duo for making this place a paradise and they deserve full marks for their hardwork and vision. Time really seems to slow down in a place like this and when we really had to leave, we made up our minds we will never miss an opportunity to come back here, time and again. It was such an unforgettable experience, I really wish Naveen & Praveen all the very best for such a place which is bound to grow in times to come yet retaining its charm and natural calm.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pierrot-Jam
PravinDarjeeling, Owner at Tathagata Farm, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Abhishek and Salonika,

We feel delightful to have your positive review and are truly encouraged to do more for the place and people. Thank you for a great review and for your kind comments about your stay. We feel we are getting closer to achieving what we envisioned the farm to be, but it is traveler like yourselves that makes it worth the effort. It was our pleasure to host you and Salonika.
Without our travelers' open mindedness and readiness about the real life local experience that we like to promote, our efforts would not be successful and we would like to thank you along with our staff for your visit and for your kind words.
We believe this is not the end, it is just the start and we will see you again and have that cup of handmade Darjeeling tea someday.

So thank you for visiting us and we are glad that this experience was unforgettable for you!

Pravin on behalf of Navin and Tathagata Farm team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Seattle
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We concluded a month of traveling in northern India with a fews days stay at Navin's tea farm. It was the perfect ending to our time in India. Navin and his staff were amazing hosts. When we arrived, we were greeted with tea and biscuits. The feasts were plentiful, and included some of the best food we ate in India (if you like spicy food, ask about the Nepali chicken dish). What impressed us most about Navin and his farm, is how socially responsible he is -- the entire farm is 100% organic and it is clear that Navin cares more about the well being of his community than about the personal success of his business. Navin is also very educated. One of our favorite moments was discussing the cultural history and politics of the region with Navin.

The facilities are all locally built too, and of great quality, which made our stay even that much more comfortable. It should be noted though that the farm is located far below Darjeeling in a deep valley, so it is in a much more tropical environment. And because we visited towards the end of August (during the monsoon), there were more bugs present than is usually the case. For this reason, I would recommend the addition of mosquito nets in the cabins.

Navin took us around to the different villages where we watched a local soccer (futtbol) match, nibbled on local snacks and drank tongba (a Nepali alcoholic beverage). After the victorious soccer match (our village won!), we were even invited to celebrate with the team, which made for a fun night.

In all, we strongly recommend a stay at Navin's farm if you are considering a trip to northern India. I think 3-4 days is the ideal amount of time for an enjoyable and relaxing time. Navin is a generous host, is a visionary ahead of his time, and the staff made us feel as if we were family. We hope to visit again!

1 Thank Joe S
PravinDarjeeling, Owner at Tathagata Farm, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Joe,

Thanks you so much for the positive review. My name is Pravin and i am writing on behalf of Navin. I just text him on your review and he is delighted to receive this. Navin is a passionate person driven by community development and social responsibility.
We are delighted and so happy to hear that you had a perfect ending at Tathagata Farm on your trip to north India. We find ourselves lucky that we get people and travelers like yourself who enjoys what we offer and appreciate whatever simplicity we have at the farm - we know it is basic but it is travelers like you and feedback like this that makes Navin and the staff give their best all the time.
We are glad that enjoyed the football match and the tongba!

We will look forward to host you again in the future.

With kind regards and on behalf of Navin and Tathagata Farm staff.
darjeeling
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We had a great time at the Tathagatha Farm House during our short visit. It’s indeed a serene destination away from the hustle and bustle of the town and city. Although it was the peak monsoon when we visited, we were very lucky with the weather. We could enjoy the short hike to the beautiful river down below and a nice walk to Takdha Tea Plantation.

The whole team of the farm house was very pleasing and friendly. Would highly recommend to those who are looking for a break from the everyday routine life.

Mukund

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mukundmalla
Dear Mukund,

Thank you for submitting your review for Tathagata Farm.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the farm and the village. Yes, monsoon are not ideal season in Darjeeling due to rain, however, we have been quite lucky to witness the change in crops and also welcome some new friends in the form of flora and fauna at teh farm during these season.
We will pass on the good comments from you to the team at Tathagata Farm and thank you again for a great feedback. We hope to see you again someday!

Kind regards
Pravin on bahalf of Tathagata Farm.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed September 15, 2012

As mentioned in the title you are with the nature when you are at Tathagata.I have started my Tathagata journey along with my wife.You are in safe hands of pavan once you start your journey to Tahagata from Darjeeling.We enjoyed each and every moment of when we are at Tathagata including the stay, serinity and the food.

My heartfelt thanks to Naveen and team for having left us with lot of cherishable moments.I should even thank Kaale & its team ( Naveen's pet) for having taken care of us during our stay :).

1 Thank Mouleswar
PravinDarjeeling, Owner at Tathagata Farm, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Mr & Mrs Reddy,

We are so glad to recieve your very positive review about the farm. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and visit to the farm, it was indeed a pleasure to host you and your wife. I would pass on your message to Navin and also to Kaale.
It would be nice to have you again at teh farm someday. Would be great to hear about your travels and your experience elsewhere. We would be working hard to make the place better so your next visit here would be a different experience altogether for you and your family.

Thank you once again for your kind words.

Tathagata Farm.
Delhi
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I had been planning for Tathagatha Farm Stay since the last 2 years and finally I made it this year.In the beginning I was a little skeptical about the idea because my visit happened to fall in July which is Monsoon in Darjeeling and the season is an absolute discouragement for anyone to travel in the region. But I was wrong. When we reached the farm I felt that what on the earth was preventing me from coming to this wonderful place for so long. Beautifully set in the huge plot of land with lofty trees, flowers and various plants, the property flaunts the beauty of simplicity. Blessed by the nature in bountiful you could spot birds all over around, butterflies unimaginatively variant in size and the color. The moment I reached this place I was so overwhelmed with the excitement, thrill in my heart. A warm welcome by Mr Nabin, the co-owner of the property, and his cheerful and amicable staffs followed by lunch prepared in local style and then later a ramble to the village with him investigating the local life were the activities we started with. Every little or big activities I could witness or get engaged in , from village tour to hike to the river or drinking in the pool sharing with Mr Nabin his extensive knowledge on the plants, and the locals was remarkable and exhilarating experience for me. Starting with a cup of tea and ending with the local Rakshi in three days two nights I could savor real fresh, healthy organic food, get educated on organic farming and permaculture, and foremostly enjoy my stay. Overall I had a full fun time at Tathagatha farm.
In sum I would say if one is looking for a getaway from the hectic city life for a replenishing trip then Tathagatha is an ideal place to be considered of and moreover with Navin, Mr. Fabulous your stay experience cannot be unenjoyable and without memories.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
PravinDarjeeling, Owner at Tathagata Farm, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Bobin,

Thank you for submitting your review for Tathagata Farm.
It was indeed a pleasure to have you and we're indeed glad that you finally made the decision to come and visit us. There is downside to monsoon in Darjeeling, it is wet and moist however, the upside to this is that the place turns into a green heaven, replenising the plant and crops for the entire year. And the shades of green during this period different to what you experience on other seasons/months.
We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much, our vision to share this beautiful piece of earth with pasisonate travellers like you come a step closer when we see travellers like you go with such content and happiness.
We wish to host you once again, someday and catch up over some handmade tea.

Happy travelling and thank you again.

Regards.
Tathagata Farm.
Jaipur
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We spent two weeks travelling to the main cities in Northern India and wanted to complete our holidays in Darjeeling in order to have a more complete impression of this region and to be out of the hustle and bustle of the cities - it turned out we had saved the best for last.

In a remote place in the greenest of Darjeeling hills, the visionary mr. Navin Tamang has created a unique get-away which gives a multi-level insight into Darjeeling life and at the sime time never makes you feel like an outsider or even a tourist.

The hospitality at the farm is unmatched. We stayed in of the separate bungalows; if in the morning you settle on the veranda and watch the birds or read a book, within moments somebody will appear and bring you a great morning tea - while at the same time you never have the feeling of being watched.

Quite exceptional for India (as far as I'm concerned), you can tell that mr. Navin has travelled himself and has developed a great sense for what his guests want. He is full of suggestions for activities, and to make it even better there are hardly (or none at all) any additional costs involved.

For those interested, mr Navin can explain anything about organic farming and tea-production; off course this includes the possibility to visit a tea-plantation and learn something about the whole process of growing, harvesting and production of tea.

Even in addition to this, and what gives the stay an exceptional dimension, is that you can experience local life on so many levels: if you go on a day-trek, there is for example a home-made (and nice!) lunch at a farmer's place, I could participate in the daily football-match of the villagers, and we had the opportunity of visiting a nearby-school.

In doing so, mr. Navin on the one hand gives the local population the opportunity to benefit from the visit of tourists, and on the other hand makes his guests feel completely at home and at ease in this wonderful part of India.

So there you have it: not a white-gloved resort that cuts you off from the actual place where you are staying, but a paradise in the real world - a real paradise. Tathagata farm is wholeheartedly recommended.

2 Thank wout m
PravinDarjeeling, Owner at Tathagata Farm, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Mr. Wout,

My name is Pravin, and i am writing on behalf of Navin since he currently is having issues with his internet, so please accept our apology.
We are pleased to hear that you anjoyed your stay with us so much. It is indeed a pleasure to have guests like yourself who loves to explore the real India and involve themselves with locals. Navin is passionate about meeting people and showing his place to travellers. He is indeed an asset to Tathagata Farm and to the village. We're glad that you get to learn a few things while you were there, including playing in a small local football field. We like to involve people to different aspects of daily lives of the village and the locals, but at the same time give them enough space to enjoy their private life too, we are glad we matched your expectation on delivering this service to you. It is also an opportunity for the locals to meet travellers from all around the world and i am sure you have been a delightful guests to them. Thank you once again for the great review and for highly recommending us to the world, we hope to see you again someday for that cup of tea and a good hearted football match.

On behalf of Navin and Tathagata Farm.
Gangtok, Sikkim, India
Reviewed May 21, 2012

The time we spent at Tathagata Farm was delightful. I was traveling with my husband and two sons (4 and 6 years old), and we had planned a one night stay at the end of a short visit to Darjeeling. In retrospect, we should have spent less time in Darjeeling and another night at the farm. The cottages are simple and clean (I got the best night sleep I can remember). The location is perfectly soothing and health-promoting, the food just like home-cooked (except that the vegetables are fresher), the hand-made Darjeeling tea delicious, and the hospitality excellent. Navin personally took such good care of us that we never felt like paying guests. Our youngest son still talks about our stay there as 'when we went to Uncle's house'. The boys had so much fun splashing in the pool, watching the milking of the cows, playing with the resident dogs, and collecting firewood for a bonfire that it was nearly impossible to convince them to leave. And I still haven't forgotten the deep sense of peace and contentment I felt sitting on the verandah and gazing across the unspoiled countryside.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank danicalal
PravinDarjeeling, Owner at Tathagata Farm, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thank you Danica for your wonderful review, we are happy that you and your family had so much fun at Tathagata Farm and especially to your 2 wonderful sons. I personally also had so much fun with your kids and Mr. Lal has been very inspiring. His vision for the alternative school is great.
It was indeed a pleasure to meet you and your family and most importantly to host you at the farm.
Thank you again for the great feedback, and we hope to see you someday again. The handmade tea will be freshly brewed for the occasion and the bonfire will be lit again.
Navin