“Hotel Broadway (Annexe)”

Hotel Broadway (Annexe)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Hotel Broadway (Annexe)”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Although it was quite the hike up the hill, I did enjoy the view of Kanchenjunga from our room. I did not enjoy, however, our damp room with damp sheets. I also did not particularly like the serious lack of hot water for showers. They provided a bucket in the bathroom and we measured about 3/4 full... to share between my husband and I each day. I know that this is a problem throughout Darjeeling, but it still makes for an uncomfortable start to a morning. Throughout our 3 nights, our room was never made and I was told that we'd have to supply ourselves with toilet paper.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
New Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed October 30, 2012

good service by the staff...The location of the hotel was nice as it was a nice walk to the mall and Chowrasta. From tea, muffins, coffee, books, local things there is a lot to see and enjoy.i really liked it,would like to visit again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank payal110
new delhi
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Train Mahananda from Delhi to Siliguri. A few hours late.

In Siliguri found Hotel Central Plaza quite easily. I could have walked but it had started drizzling so I took a rickshaw for Rs 15/. Hotel Central Plaza was decent. The room was adequate and quite pleasant. Hot water came in the wash basin but not in the shower.
Since it was Sunday evening most things were closed but it was okay.

I left the next morning by shared jeep (Rs 60/). it took less than two and a half hours. The jeep stopped near the railway station so Amarjeet Hotel was a very short walk from there. The room was very nice. The staff were also friendly and helpful. Checking out time 10.00 a.m. was early. They let me stay in the room till 11.00 and after that I kept my luggage downstairs as my train was at three.

I walked around Kurseong for a couple of hours and enjoyed that. I visited a nursery and saw the engine shed and railway station. I didn't get time to see the archives of the railway.

I took the toy train from Kurseong to Darjeeling. Unforunately it was late so I reached Darjeeling after 7.00 p.m.. It was dark and I took a taxi (Rs 150/) to Broadway Annexe. The staff was helpful but the room was very dirty, damp and cold. The sheets were damp... I asked for a heater but there was none. Since it was cold there was not much hot water. Also the water was not very hot. I had taken a full meal plan. The dinner was all cold. Lunch was oily but hot. Breakfast was okay.
From tea, muffins, coffee, books, local things there is a lot to see and enjoy.

I took a shared jeep (Rs 100/) from Darjeeling to Kalimpong at 1.30. We reached Kalimpong at 4.30 after a tea break during the journey. Again I took a car to the Hotel (Alkananda). By the time I had put my things in the hotel (5.00 p.m.) most things, even the cinema, was closed. So I was not able to see much in Kalimpong as I left early the next morning from near the market at the bottom of the hill.
The room was quite big and nice. There is water shortage and also limited hot water.
Dinner (aloo dum) was well cooked although oily. The chapatis were good.

The next morning I took the bus to Lava (Rs 40/) at 8.30 a.m. and reached at 10.00. Nice friendly driver. The hotel (Hotel Orchid) was very near the bus stop. The room was small but very nice. As also the bathroom. Since I was staying only one night it was alright but there was no wardrobe or space to keep things. All the hotel people were very nice.

Here too I walked aound up and down. There are quite a few tourist shops where one can buy locally produced things as gifts and mementos.
I talked to Jiten Gurung and took a car with a Bengali couple to Reshyap. It was a short ride and not very steep. With 2 to3 hours on hand and a porter one can walk the distance. Hotel Yankee Village was delightful. Full of flowers. Clean and spacious room and bathroom.
I arranged for a car the next morning to Siliguri. I had asked for 4.30. The driver came at 3.55. The charge was Rs 2700/ but the driver was good and we got to Siliguri by 8.00 a.m.

The train to delhi (Mahananda from Alipurduar) came at the right time although by the time it reached Delhi it was 2 hours late.

All in all, a very nice holiday. No major problems. Just rushed.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank rugiada

Travelers are raving about these Darjeeling hotels

Agra, India
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I booked two rooms through cleartrip.com. On reaching the hotel, which is around a km uphill, I was shown two rooms. Out of these two, one was okay however the other room had unserviceable geyser with lot of seapage on walls. I insisted for another room but again the other room offered also had these problems. There was one good room also but that they gave to a customer who had just come. That might be their strategy to lure new customers as they had nothing more to gain from me. Those two days' stay was pathetic.

Room Tip: Rooms having windows opening towards hillside i.e. view of the hill are cleaner and better. First fl...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank maniagar
Thrissur, Kerala, India
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Room is good. But very difficult to reach the hotel. You will have to walk 1 1 /2 km up hill ( Very steep) to reach the hotel. We ( a group of 11) had planned to stay for 3 days but shifted to another hotel after the first day itself. Being in restricted area, vehicles are not permitted from 7 AM to 7 PM. Only way is to walk uphill. The road not only steep but filthy and muddy in some area in front of the hotel. There is no arrangement for pickup from or drop at the hotel. Taxis wont come to the hotel due to road condition and restrictions. When asked the hotel for a pickup from the Taxi stand they didnt oblige. NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Vinodpoonjar
, Owner at Hotel Broadway (Annexe), responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you very much for posting a review about our Hotel, It was nice to hear that you were satisfied with our rooms and service.
Regarding the Road condition, Repair work has started for the entire road and will be completed soon, and the location,
A disadvantage posted regarding the location is not agreed by us,as tourists who come to Darjeeling, for a good view of the mountains, love to stay with us and admire our location, which offers 200 degree view of the Himalayan range.
Also Taxi services are available to come to the Hotel, as in that entire road there are more then 20 Hotels.
We have charged Rs 550 for a room, a very big discounted price in the off season, Providing vehicle, from railway station to our Hotel for Rs 150 is not possible.
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Best Hotel I have seen. It provides good service to the customers. I really thankful to Mr. Amit Khatri ji for his gesture. All the staff of this hotel provides very good service. I am so pleased that I want to stay this hotel when I visit Darjeeling again. This hotel is near to the famous place Mall, Chowrasta.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Soumya43
RAIPUR
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Not big. Budget type. Rooms are not properly ventilated. Linens were damp. It is located in height but the advises received from the supervisor are good. Well managed and neat lobby. advance booking recommended.Economical and youth hostel booking accepted.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family