“Simply the best hotel in Darjeeling! Come couple, come all !!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Darjeeling
Hotel and Restaurant Shangri-la
Ranked #6 of 123 Darjeeling B&B and Inns
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Simply the best hotel in Darjeeling! Come couple, come all !!!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I had booked the hotel by going through their website in may 2012. I contacted Mr. Ranjan Lama,who in turn explained me the booking rules and then I deposited the requisite value in their bank account and was confirmed the booking by return mail on the same day. I stayed for 3 days from 22/12/2012 to 25/12/2012 in room no - 3, probably the best room in the hotel. I requested Mr. Lama to allot me room no - 3 only while requesting for the booking, which he gladly confirmed. During September 2012, I again contacted Mr. Lama for a pick up car from Bagdogra Airport via Mirik Lake to the hotel. I requested to allot me an Innova car, which was again confirmed by Mr. Lama and Mr. Gailly(all car bookings are controlled by him). My stay at the hotel was very memorable. Rooms are very big and clean( cleaned every day),views are best from the windows ! Food available at the restaurant was really good and was served utmost hygienically unlike other renowned restaurants in Darjeeling. Breakfast served daily was very good. Even at the day of my check out on 25/12/2012, I was served breakfast by 7.30 am well before their normal breakfast start hours. I would simply love to recommend this hotel to all. I would love to stay at this hotel again and again.

Room Tip: Go for room no - 3 with fire place.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skm_1101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Satara, India
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I must say that the rooms at the Shangri-la were one of the best I have been till date.
They are HUGE. And with a live fireplace and a cozy bed, they just added up to our comfortable stay. So much that we cancelled our trip to Kalimpong so that we could stay at Shangrila for more 3 days. The house keeping was very warm and welcoming. We had a continental plan, hence we used to have our hearty breakfast at the hotel.
The sitting area gave us a brilliant view of the Kanchenjunga. Thus we enjoyed our evening tea looking at the magnificent view.
There are a couple of very small problems. As it is situated in the centre of the market, there are dogs howling in the middle of the night. Also, one can hear the voices of the other guests in the hotel as the walls are thin. But that's about it. Besides these two things, I did not find anything to complain about.
It is surely value for money. And Shangri-la made our trip more enchanting with the wooden ambience and warm hospitality.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SnehaD82
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We wanted our stay in Darjeeling to be a bit special and the Shangri La really made it so. The angel that looks after the housekeeping brings you breakfast (excellent omelettes) to your room and puts hot water bottles in your bed in the evening. The room was huge and immaculately clean with a view out into the sunset in the evening. The food in the restaurant in the evenings is lovely, and with a couple of open fires roaring away, it really feels cosy.
We found all the staff there to be friendly and welcoming. Loved it!
Be aware that they charge extra for lighting a fire in the room or leaving an oil filled radiator on all night (they do tell you beforehand) which seems fair enough given the price of fuel there. It is worth the extra as it does get cold at night

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2013

It very unfortunate the in spite of good rating in trip advisor the worst response I had received from this hotel.
I had booked in their website. After that also i had not received any confirmation. Several times I had called ( 0354 2254149) the hotel. The person who were receiving the calls told that without confirmation from london he cannot confirm.
Just before reaching darjeeling again I have called that number, again. This time the receptionist told that to reach the hotel & he will arrange 2 rooms. No confirmation required this time!!!!!!!!

After reaching hotel I came to know there is only one room available. Mr Sonam Lama had allotted one room to some other person few moments ago. Though he had confirmed me for 2 rooms few hours ago.

With my aged parents & baby daughter, I was in deep trouble at that time in Darjeeling.
This was happend in Feb 2013. I had mailed all this to the owner Mr Ranjan Lama. But he was also not bother to reply.

It is clearly greedy attitude of a hotelier.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Bidisha68
rddmj, Owner at Hotel and Restaurant Shangri-la, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
This guest made an inquiry through our website and was informed by email that he would need to pay a deposit in order to confirm a booking. He didn't want to pay a deposit.

By the time the guest reached the hotel unfortunately there was only one room available. Shangri-la is a popular hotel and we always recommend that our guests book in advance to secure their stay.
Reviewed February 27, 2013

That was my first visit to Darjeeling and I just wanted to make it as comfy as possible..I came across this hotel while searching for some good accomodation..the pictures were quite impressive. When we finally landed on a chilly winter afternoon in Nov, the welcome from the hotel staff was warm enough to make us feel homely and comfortable instantly. Madam Lhamu with her broad smile was always at our service, punctual, caring and extremely efficient. The room was very cosy with good wooden furnishing, aesthitically decorated and complete with a fireplace to enjoy the warmth. The english breakfast was a lip-smacking one. The location, just a few metres from the Mall, is also an added advantage. All the well-known joints..Glenary's, Keventers, the famous tea shop Nathmull's/Golden Tips..the curio shops are just a stone's throw away. Overall, definitely a nice place to stay at, but as always, comes with a heavier pocket pinch too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The location is great for walking around Darjeeling and getting to the taxi stand. The Hotel is clean and the rooms are beautiful. Our room overlooked the mall with many windows, giving incredible light and mountain view. We had a little trouble remembering which switch was for a light and which was for our assistant. But, she was always most gracious and kind when we accidently called for help. Our very hot hot-water bottle placed in the bed a night made the comfort even more appealing. We had issues with some train tickets and our host was always gracious about assisting us with phone calls. The restaurant serves excellent food as well. I highly recommend the Shangri-La.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Calcutta, West Bengal, India
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The service of the hotel is very good with madam Lamo at your service anytime. The place is very neat and clean with very comfortable bed and upholstery. The breakfast included in the room charges are of excellent quality and the food in the in-house restaurant is excellent. Overall an excellent stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends