“Bellevue adds to the charm of Darjeeling”

Olde Main Bellevue Heritage Hotel
Ranked #71 of 100 Hotels in Darjeeling
Reviewed November 15, 2011

It was my first visit to Darjeeling and this is the place I had always wanted to see. We were booked on Old Bellevue which is an extraordinarily beautiful place to stay. Since I went with my husband and our two-and a half year old son, the location of the hotel being so central made our stay more convenient. The rooms were beautifully decorated and were warm. The staffs were also cooperating. We enjoyed our stay in Darjeeling which was because of the fact that we stayed in such a comfortable and nice hotel. Thanks to Mr Gyaltsen.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 12, 2011

Thanks a lot to Mr. Subash. He made my stay at the Bellevue New Wing a real special time.
I hope I'll catch up with you later!
Thanks again.

Room Tip: Ask Subash for a good room and price. And I am sure he will work something out. Done it with me.
Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
29  Thank Dirk L
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Hotel stay was very good but no food facility is a big minus point. Please take necessary action at your (the hotel's) end to arrange the same if possible. That will make this hotel a complete stay. Otherwise, staff was very friendly and hotel is a great for those who like heritage buildings.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
31  Thank Dileep2011
Reviewed September 24, 2011

This is without a doubt the worst hotel in the world. The room I stayed in did not have a roof over it, and the staff tried to charge us extra money to have heat fans (aka spot lights). The whole place was dirty--what I thought was roomservice from the previous day or two turned out to just be a permanent dirty fixture of rotting food in he hallways of this hotel. The best part was that we paid extra to have double beds--only to find out that the two beds were bolted together with a single blanket to share (in the near frigid temperatures, given the hole in the roof). The staff were rude, except for the really old lady that carried my suitcase on her head to my room (I wouid have rather done it myself a hundred times over). DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: No good rooms. Just don't stay in this hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank Alok_hated_this_one
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Heritage read falling down. As is often the case the pictures on Travelguru and other web pages totally misrepresented the hotel having been taken many moons ago. Booking on line is always potluck in this regard. As it was the start of the monsoon and raining cats and dogs so the room was cold, dank and dark and leaked like a sieve. The electricity was off for 3 days due to some local natural disaster involving trees and the hotel did not turn the generator on until it was pitch black making for a dismal experience. We decided to stay on for 3 more days hoping the situation would improve and again booking a room with Travelguru in the newer main part of the building that we inspected beforehand. Here we came unstuck badly as the receptionist said that the on line booking was not received as it was less than 48 hours before our change of rooms and there was now no room available. After a long confrontation the room was magically available. It was a very unpleasant experience but as they seem to be running at 100% occupancy and obviously making a killing despite the season the problem it seemed was all ours. A simple phone call by the hotel would have saved all the angst. Even later, due to power outage, although the receptionist had told us that the booking number was sufficient, when we provided a print out of the booking confirmation they were rude and obviously skeptical making us feel like criminal elements. We were told that the advertised Wi Fi was a mistake and had not worked for 2 years

Room Tip: If you have to stay in the rooms in the newer main building
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank yumidesign
Reviewed June 3, 2011

It's not worth staying there. There is no value for money. Though in main marked yet far off from car parking hence you need to hire coolies. No Food in the hotel. In the name of breakfast only bread slices that too cost Rs. 15/- each slice. Absolutely worthless paying 3300/- per night. Rooms need a lot of upkeep. Only old furnitures in room. There were a lot many flies and insects in room when we entered there. I can never recommend to anyone for this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank sjain131
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Although the hotel's location is good, probably that's the only good thing about this hotel.

Point I would like to share are :

1. One has to walk a steep slope from the car parking to the hotel, vehicles are not allowed to this place. So, if you r coming with your family, kids etc. be prepared to pump in more for a coolie service.
2. The hotel claims to have a travel desk. However, be prepared to shell out Rs. 300-400/- extra (the hotel's travel coordinator makes his commission out of each trip) for each trip that you might plan to take for sight-seeing. I suggest you rather talk directly to the taxi stand which is right below the street, they are v helpful and do not charge you more(standard rates).
3. This 'Heritage' hotel does not serve food. They claim they can serve food by getting it from outside, but trust me it's horrible. Also, the food ordered sometimes takes more than 2 hours to arrive and has a horrible taste.
4. Horrible carpets, not clean. Rusted nails pointing out from the chairs.
5. My wife and I hurt ourselves couple of times as the rusted nails were all over the place on the cane chairs.

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank Kalyanasundaram
Siddhartha412, Owner at Olde Main Bellevue Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2011

Thanks for your review. In response:
1. The hotel is located on the Mall which is a pedestrians only zone and in an exclusive VIP area common to all Indian hill stations. As a result there is no danger of traffic, no noise and no diesel fumes. If one visits a hill station one has to be prepared to walk a little. As the reviewer says a little later in the review the taxi stand (with helpful taxi drivers) "is right below the street", this seems to contradict the initial criticism.
2. WE DO NOT SERVE FOOD. If you compel our staff to procure food for you in your room from outside we cannot be responsible for delays or quality nor to clean up after you.
3. We do not have a travel desk and we warn guests against against entertaining " trekking guides" or "travel operators" who may approach them for taxis or treks. They invariably will charge a commission.